Creating state specific defense mechanics?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Almightypebble, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Almightypebble

Almightypebble Villager Member

First Language:
    Bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello everyone!

So in my game I have 4 states which are basically 4 battle stances and I want to make each stance have an on-hit specific defense mechanic associated with it.

That means I would like Stance 1 to have Dodge(evade attack), Stance 2 to have Guard (block attack), Stance 3 to have Parry(nullify attack) and Stance 4 to have Endure(withstand attack) as defense instead of the regular Dodge attack for everything.

How would I go about setting this up? Would I have to make dodge chance 0% for the 3 stances that don't have dodge and then add the other defense mechanics as skills that have the same % chance as dodge did? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thank you!

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    to tell you that, we would have to know how the different mechanics are supposed to work.

there are a lot of different ways to implement a defense, but most of them apply only to a few options.

3. Almightypebble

Almightypebble Villager Member

First Language:
    Bulgarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay then, so normally when the character gets attacked there are 3 things that can happen right?
    He can get hit, he can dodge the attack or the enemy can miss his attack.

I want to make it so 3 states remove the 'dodge attack' check and replace it with the 'guard, withstand, parry attack' checks.

In the 1st state instead of dodging the attack the character will Guard, blocking most of the damage and then increasing a stat by 1
    In the 2nd state instead of dodging the attack the character will Withstand, taking most of the damage and then increasing a stat by 1
    In the 3rd state it will be the regular Dodge, evading all damage and then increasing a stat by 1
    In the 4th state instead of dodging the attack the character will Parry, nullifying the attack, basically taking no damage and stopping any multi hit attacks from the enemy, and then increasing a stat by 1

4. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    If you want the character to never evade, you'd need to remove the base EVA trait added via the class (iirc there is a base eva trait added, if not then no need to go thru it)

Adding a 0% EVA simply means you're adding 0 EVA to the actor, it doesnt turn EVA to 0.

Now if you characters can still have evasion (like via equips), but the stances should be able to cancel it, you'd need a plugin for it as afaik there is no "No evasion" trait.

As for your other effects, you'd also need plugins to run those things during on-hit