Creative ways to make forest map borders

Castoa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm trying to make a forest map, but I'm having issues with how to actually make the border of the map. I've seen a lot of examples of using the tall trees to give definition to the edges of the playable map, and though I think it looks good in some instances, I'm really not a huge fan of having the black backdrop surrounding the map, and the tall trees themselves have a black backdrop to the tile, which is problematic for the forest I'm wanting to build since I want it to have a very "light" feel to it. I don't really want to just paste trees everywhere either to fill it in because then it looks like the attached image and it just feels too busy and "organized" for a forest.

Does anyone have any methods they use or like for filling in the unused background space for maps?

Attachments

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It looks like you have used the tree tops from the A4 tiles as a base, then gone over them with the trees from the B-E tiles. That is not how they're meant to be used, which is why it looks wrong.

I suggest you look through the Game & Map Screenshots threads to see how others have used those tiles.

You could use one, or the other, but not both, and they would look better.
You could also duplicate the A4 sheet and edit the canopy autotile to replace the dark inside area with a much lighter colour picked from the other parts of the tile.
You could also use the cliffs to provide a barrier, but only one tile high rather than 2. This will give a bit more variety to the map as well.
You could place a stream in from the edge of the map, then decorate the 'far' side as much as you want - the player will not be able to make it over there, so you don't have to fill the section with impassable tiles.
You could use single trees and place other stuff so the player can't get through - a mix of small cliffs, rocks, bushes, logs ... more effort, but would give a more open and natural appearance.

Edit: Also, if you have the FMS pack "Woods & Cave Tiles", the Forest 01 (Light) has a really nice tree canopy autotile (A4 sheet) that is much lighter, as well as a darker one.

Last edited:

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Map001.png

This is a map of a village I made a while back. Notice how I used the trees; I just placed them right on the grass without using the A4 tile.
As for not liking the sort of "perfect" arrangement of the trees, the player will actually only see a tiny bit of that covered area. It won't look bad in game. Also notice my distribution of little bits of grass, different trees, and other foliage around the trees. As well as some bushes. If you do that you'll end up with a much more natural looking sort of forest. Shaz's suggestions are great too though.

Castoa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
These helped a lot guys, thanks so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Helldivers is so much fun!
Suitemate: "Do you have detergent"
Me: "Ya, the spray kind"
Me: *realizes he said detergent, not deodorant*
Me: "Guess I'll die!"
If there's one thing I hate about myself, it's that I procrastinate. Ever since I started looking stuff up on how to properly balance and create armour, weapons and skills; I've let myself down in progress.
So I was at the dentist yesterday and she said,"I'm gonna propose to Dr. Anderson...(Then she paused as she thought what to say). And I said,"I think he is a little old for you." She laughed good naturedly. Then she jabbed sharp things in my mouth for the next 3 hours.
Update on my experiment with uploading my Android games to the Amazon app store: made about $45 in 2 months, but 0 sales for the past 3 weeks. Not sure its worth the effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shangri