CreatureEssentials (the *start* of a pokemon essentials for MV, maybe?)

Discussion in 'JS Plugins In Development' started by ldd, Feb 19, 2016.

?

which new feature/fix should I work on?

1. Evolution (rough draft)

38.9%
  2. Party Management (rough draft)

16.7%
  3. Combat Screen (1st draft)

33.3%
  4. Storage (1st draft)

11.1%
  1. Azymus

Azymus Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    @Idd , Are you complete with this plugin? or still not yet?

2. SightseeingWolf17

SightseeingWolf17 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's a good question really. I hope so?

3. malonkey1

malonkey1 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    [[irrelevant, I'm still getting used to this board, ignore me]]

4. The Magic Circle

The Magic Circle Listen to my Soundcloud fam? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's a gigantic bummer that this plugin got abandoned. Pokemon Essentials is fantastic but it's hampered by being associated with an existing IP (and the creators *really* not liking it if you use it for an original IP) and by the fact that it's for XP only.

5. Nisshoku

Nisshoku CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is a shame it has been abandoned, however I also kind of expected it. Pokemon Essentials was amazing. The sad fact that it is XP only would have made this plugin all the much more amazing. However, PE was not just one script, but a large collection of custom made scripts and graphics, that would take one person a long time to make.

Another thing that also is to be expected, is that if we want something that is going to be another PE for RMMV, then I doubt one plugin will actually be able to do everything. it would be more organized and efficient to create multiple plugins that each bring the kit together.

All of this would be just too much for one person to handle. However if some of the forum members wanted to create a group, get together and create it, then it's certainly possible, but will require a lot of time and dedication to keep it from dying.

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unfortunately the bolded part of your sentence is wrong - the biggest problem of PE for XP is that a good part of the graphics weren't custom made, but ripped from the games - which is why we always refused to support that set.
    And to make an usable PE for MV that would be allowed here would require people to make those graphics custom instead of ripping them.

dbchest likes this.
  7. Nisshoku

Nisshoku CEO NisshoTatsu Gaming Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar Oh yeah! xD didn't think about the graphics as I was typing. Ripped from like the GBA games and even some HGSS games. But yeah, custom tilesets, monster sprites, battler sets, and a whole lotta plugins. It's a project that would require a team in order to also keep it up to date with the latest RMMV updates.

8. malonkey1

First Language:
    English
    I think the best place to start would probably be with Yanfly's scripts. The Skill core and Action Sequences would make the moves a lot easier to work with, and Abilities wouldn't be too hard to do with Passive States.

Breeding and the PC might take a little more time, but there are probably plugins out there for it. I know there are plugins to control how many actors are in battle, as well as governing switching them, and there's at least one plugin that sets the player graphic to be independent of the party's actors. (You could also hack around it by just setting the first actor to not show in menus or enter battle, and just setting your player graphic with that.).

For evolution, I'd have each species as a class, and use Yanfly's Class Change Core and Subclasses, with a plugin for evolution triggers to automatically set a mon's class upon evolution, using subclasses for alternate formes. You could also probably make a custom plugin for alternate forms, especially minor ones like shiny pokemon (even just setting an "_isShiny" flag and reading it shen retrieving the actors' images).

The Item Book plugin could be adapted into a pokedex, and if that doesn't work, there's probably at least one Bestiary plugin that could be set. Hime's Instanced actors can be used for the capture system (they actually call out a Pokémon-style capture system as an example use for it), with the wild 'mon's stts being copied into a new Actor.

There are several plugins that allow for a Pokemon-style type matchup deal (or you could cheat this with damage resistances in the DB).

SumRndmDde has a few plugins for things like Natures and Types as well, and those could be used.

I'm just spitballing here, but there's a lot of stuff floating around that could be pulled together for a start, and I'm sure if somebody wanted to, they might be able to pull it together into a more coherent toolset.

ldd likes this.
  9. ldd

ldd Villager Member

Sorry for not replying before, but to be honest I completely forgot about this forum until now.

I expected an issue ticket on Github or some sort of signal that people were actually interested in the project in general. Then again, I forgot to check my initial forum post to see if anybody was still interested.

Right now I just need to look at the MV updates and try to remember my old code, but I'd like to give it another shot.

To be honest, if I recall correctly, I stopped working on this mostly because I thought I was 'wasting time' doing things that nobody else seemed to care. Then I switched to trying to develop a way to backup save data and game data on firebase (google it), and I ended up forgetting about RPGMaker and just doing small projects with firebase, react, and redux.

ANYWAYS, I am not promising anything, but let's see if I can keep working on this project. There is a lot of stuff that has happened since I 'left' and I'd like to see the plugins that @malonkey1 mentioned.

Bricius and ∊η∊ηra like this.
  10. malonkey1

First Language:
    English
    Alright.

• Pokedex:
    • Pokemon:
      • For that, I would have each species be its own Class, and use Yanfly's Class Change Core when the monster evolves to change to the appropriate species/class.
      • For forms, you could use the Subclass addon.
      • For the enemy pokemon, you can use the Enemy Levels plugin.
    • Moves:
      • Yanfly again comes to the rescue with the Action Sequence plugins 1, 2 and 3, which you can use to pretty easily make nearly any move.
      • For certain moves (especially ones with unique effects like Future Sight), you can use the Buffs and States core plugin.
    • Abilities:
    • Capture:
      • For that, you can use HimeWorks' Instance Actors plugin. Basically, just make a new actor by copying the stats of the captured monster.
    There are more, but I have to get to an appointment.

mars714 and ZephyrLightningheart like this.
  11. ldd

ldd Villager Member

Thanks @malonkey1.

By the way, I just realized that the corescript is OSS (under MIT) that is AWESOME NEWS!!!

[0] https://github.com/rpgtkoolmv/corescript
    [1] https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/oss-rpg-maker-mv-corescript.74616/

[edit]
    I'm pretty sure that double posting is frowned upon here, so I'll just say that I worked on this idea for a bit during the weekend.

The project is still in its early stages, and a couple of the plugins mentioned have Terms of Use that would make it tricky to even look at the code, so I'll attempt to implement most things by myself, and using Yanfly's plugins (they seem to be the only one with a very permissive license)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  12. Treyshadows

Treyshadows Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This plugin seems really cool. I wish you the best of luck in its creation!

13. Lukalot

Lukalot Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ive been watching this for a while becuase i REALLY want to make a pokemon game on my mac which can only run MV, so its really great you've come back to it. I realize this is a big job, but could you estimate (assuming you continue to develope this project) when it will be in a usable condition?

14. ldd

ldd Villager Member

A good estimate is at least 6 to 11 months.

Keep in mind that I have a full time job as a developer, and can only really dedicate 2-5 hours per week to this among other open source projects.

The issue is mostly about time, sadly. This is why I am not making big promises, but you can see updates here and there. I just have to do this at a snails pace.

=D

15. Lukalot

Lukalot Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have some dev knowledge and have made several small games before, and attempted to make many which I have failed to complete, so i understand, lol. However long it takes you is fine, im looking forward to using it to make my own game! Personally, pokemon is my favorite RPG so this is great for me.

16. Bricius

Bricius Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    You should include either a plugin (through colab, and Im not sure if it exists) that allows multiple copies, but varies stats (like the clone actor plugin), or plan to do that in the future. Would be very useful. Also, some basic breeding mechanics or something. Lastly, Perhaps some trading/battling? You type in someone's IP or something if they have an open connection with the game running. If yes they could connect like the gen 2 games did where the players appeared in their own room for the activity.

Also. Great work, keep it up. Even if people dont post it here, remember there are still A TON of people who have MV that want a Poke-Essentials. Im sure the guys who did Lightning Yellow with MV would remake it if this was completely made. Not to mention the people who want these sort of things, but are too lazy to make an account to post here.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    dbchest likes this.
  17. Rishi Raj Jain

Rishi Raj Jain Pokemon MV Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm Also working on a Essentials for Mv. I'm bit of Amateur in Programming. I'm Currently setting Foreground Setup Like the Item Inventory 700+ With all Description, etc, Classes for 900+ Animated Pokemon (including Alt. Forms, Mega, Primal), Tilesets, setting Battle Animation, etc.

With your Plugin Working in Background This Project will be perfect. I like to collaborate.

One of the most important task this plugin have to achieve is to Stop the Party Leader (Trainer) from appearing in Battles as a Battler (though a Trainer Cutscene is valid)

Edit : @ldd @DreamX Would you like to collaborate

Please visit to understand the project:

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/monster-maker-pocket-monster-edition.85901/

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Bricius likes this.
  18. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Idd
    When I get a chance tomorrow morning, I'll upload a project that I started on a while back and let you see the plugins and events I used. There is a fully working battle system that functions similar to the original Pokemon system. Maybe it will give you some insight on things you can do with your project. Hopefully it will help at least! ☺️

Edit: Nevermind. Looks like he's no longer active. Was replying from another thread.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  19. Joy Diamond

Joy Diamond Talkative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Greetings,

Right, if we wanted to do this then the first step is to organize a group.

So, the second step is to ask others if they want to collaborate.

As hard as it may be to believe, the third step is to figure out licensing.
    • If you are unable to do this; then you are failing at "the first step is to organize a group".
    • If you are unable to do this; then any work on "the fourth step, the fifth step, the sixth step, etc" will be a waste of yours & others time.
    So do we have people that want to collaborate & do steps 1, 2, & 3 to start?
    Sincerely,

Joy Diamond

Rishi Raj Jain likes this.
  20. Rishi Raj Jain

Rishi Raj Jain Pokemon MV Maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Licensing but How? I think we can Ask the Makers of Pokemon Essentials RMXP that what Licensing they took.

Regards,
    Rishi