Credits and how to remember them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShyChangling, Mar 17, 2019.

?

Title Screen Credits and End Credits. Which is best?

1. Both

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Title Screen Credits

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. End Credits

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. ShyChangling

ShyChangling The Shy One of the Forest Old Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I have been thinking. "Credits are probably one of the most important part to do before releasing a game." And while I'm super new and have been using Yanfly's credit pluggin to keep track of credits and who's resources Im using.

I was wondering how other people keep track of their credits.
    as well as the baring question
    Is it best to have both a title screen credits page and end credits sequence?

2. Onism

Onism Probably napping. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have an option for credits linked from the main menu that's skippable to the different sections (for people who accidentally click it/are curious about who made X thing, and also have an end credits sequence that plays through entirely and isn't skippable.

I prefer end screen to title screen credits because I like the idea of someone playing the whole game and seeing who was behind its creation, it just makes more sense to me. I also have the main menu credits option for anyone curious.

To keep track of my credits I just have a text file in my game files, and I make sure I update this every time I add anything into my game.
    [​IMG]

3. ShyChangling

ShyChangling The Shy One of the Forest Old Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That text document in the game's file is darn right ingenious! I'm gonna adopt this tactic too along side the credits pluggin.

Onism likes this.
  4. Onism

Onism Probably napping. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ShyChangling

It's simple but effective. The position also helps me ensure I'm always updating it if I ever add something. Glad to help! :)

ShyChangling likes this.
  5. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I put a credit in my separate script slot because it's the place I work most of the time.
    Also, when I found a resource that is likely I will forget who made the resource, I simply use their name as the filename.
    That is how I track the credit.

For telling the credit, title screen credit is a way to go. Because if I want to see who are behind the creation and I have to finish the whole game, then no. Everyone should be able to look at the credit whenever they want. It may work for a shorter game, but may not work for a longer game.

atoms and ShyChangling like this.
  6. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I also put the credits in a txt file in the project folder lol. But it's only to keep track of it. In game, I put the credits on the title screen and at the end of the game. The reason is because most people won't finish the game, so that means that if the credits are only at the end, most people won't even see the credits.

Now, for the credits on the title screen, I found a way to make it non invasive and not force the player to view it all: I make the credits scroll horizontally in a bar on the title screen.

Example here (few seconds at the start of the video):

7. Starfox

Starfox Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I keep track of my credits in a readme file - any time I download a new plugin or free piece of art etc I add it to the list. As far as in game, I put the credits in the Opening Sequence so they can't be missed. Once my game is finished I'll put them at the end as well - but I think making sure people get a chance to see the credits is a good thing if you can do it unobtrusively.

8. Aesica

Aesica undefined Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been using yanfly's credits plugin as sort of a scratchpad that I'll organize more when the game is ready to go. As for actually running the credits, I'll probably do both title screen and end game. I prefer title screen because people can see who was involved right away, but end credits has a nice familiar feel since tv, movies, and classic console games do it that way. Of course, my "credit roll" will probably be pretty short since I like to keep outside resources to a minimum. Like right now, it's basically just yanfly, terrax, and some resources from vxa and mv that I'll look up how to credit properly when the time comes. And myself of course.

atoms likes this.
  9. Holder

Holder Loading... Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I used to keep a textbook next to me and wrote down what I was going to use where and for what. I found finding something later it was easier to read my writing than text on the screen.

I'd say for displaying credits, use both, a subtle intro wouldn't go interrupted if you had your teams names pop up - or important major resource usage. Leave the smaller picks for a credits roll at the end, and if creators wanting their urls in then that would be the time to include that. It wouldn't hurt to have a title screen option being credits, as long as the sequence doesn't contain any spoilers I wouldn't think it'd do any harm.

atoms likes this.
  10. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I now keep a .txt file when I add stuff that I'm pretty sure about keeping for the game. I include it in the final release, and then have an ingame credits at the end of the game.

atoms likes this.
  11. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I do, and already did before reading this thread, what almost everyone else here has said too.

I prefer to keep track of my credits in a txt file, keep that file with the game, and have both on title screen optional credits and credits at the end of the game.

So that's nearly everything that's been said, but all of it.

12. sapphireLight

sapphireLight Dragon Rider Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'll echo what the others have said. I keep a "credits.txt" file in the game folder and have End Credits display in the game.

I also really like the idea of having a credits option accessible from the menu so people can see it anytime, so I'm going to add that to my next game.

13. Torisu

Torisu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like Onism said, I'll add them to a credits notepad to remember who and what for crediting.

14. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    After I add a resource made by someone else into my project, I add the resource and the name of the creator into a credits list that I keep in my Script Editor.