Crimson Light

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by atasuke10, Jul 28, 2015.

1. atasuke10

atasuke10 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

The Rework is here:
    Featuring extended story, gameplay, character backgrounds, updated graphics, added features.

The feature list:
    - Item quick-select/use
    - Improved Panic System, Spawn system for the horrors that come for you.
    - A feature to let you fight back at some point.
    - A feature that memorizes the decisions you make through the game and uses it in other games playing in the same universe.
    - Press F5 for better Fullscreen F6 to adjust it

Story:

A peaceful, isolated village turns into one girl's nightmare as she awakens from her slumber to find herself separated from her beloved sister.
    Join Unelma Cerdess as she wanders through the village while gradually uncovering the truth about its tragic fate.

This psychological thriller takes place in the same universe as "The Crimson Mind", though the timelines vary.
    It is part of the series of short stories which lead up to my final project.

Game features:
    - Dark atmosphere accompanied by a dark story
    - Multiple endings based on choices made (make sure to collect all 4 diary flashbacks to unlock a post-credits cutscene!)
    - Stealthy gameplay surrounding a Fear system
    - Doesn't feature combat, character-driven
    - About 45-60 minutes length of gameplay

Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Download - RTP NOT INCLUDED
    Download - RTP INCLUDED

Credits:

Helladen - Dash Script

modern algebra - ATS Special Message Codes Script

Vlue - Sleep Item Popup Script

Casper Gaming - CSCA Light Effects Script

Archeia, Car, rhyme, Evileagles, boldpaste, Yami,
    Neonblack - Luna Engine Scripts

First seed material - Original Mack Tilesets

mikie0100 - Window Skin

Celianna - Nebula Parallax

Songs Used:

I3-Emotional - Beyond the Veil
    I3-Emotional - Eternal Promise Broken
    I3-Emotional - Murn for the Past
    I3-Emotional - Timeless
    JDB - Behind The Mirror (Bonus)
    JDB - Descry
    JDB - Hounted Mansion
    JDB - Outside Steps
    JDB - Waiting
    JDB Artist - Inspirational Vol.2 - 08 She Remained
    JDB Artist - Inspirational Vol.2 - 34 Facing Dead

Composer/Musician
    JDB Artist

Publisher
    DEGICA Co., LTD

[Copyright]© 2012 ENTERBRAIN, INC; artists

Luna Engine Factory – Archeia and Caz

Luna Engine Etrian – Archeia and rhyme

Luna Engine EvilEagles Ys – EvilEagles Archeia and
    Kingdom Rise and Fall (For the shopkeeper image)

Luna Engine Ffspiration – boldpaste

programmers

Luna Engine – Yami (Cuong Nguyen)

CPBE Add-ons – Neonblack

Etrian Unique Scripts - rhyme

Special thanks:

Darkperv - Testing

Ninjamike28 - Testing

Orbin - Testing

Helena AKA mothbae - Dialogue fixing (as always C: )
    (7hours this time)

Developer
    ENTERBRAIN, INC

Artist
    Celianna

Publisher
    DEGICA Co., LTD

THANK YOU FOR PLAYING!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  2. HuntingSwan

HuntingSwan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Looks pretty nice.  Title screen is cool.   :)  I will add it to my list of stream games and let you know if I play it!

atasuke10 likes this.
  3. kingkoopa300

kingkoopa300 Sprite Farmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    4/5 Good Dark Horror Survival

Story Spoilers

Story kinda a let down Ray who in your first game help Ril kill his father also can summon peoples dark desires unleashing dark monsters to killing everyone in town... Kinda lame... sorry just my opinion but... Gameplay is a great step up way more area to explore and the game mechanics are like Clocktower and Evil With mixed together in a tiny little sprite version of course. Story wise i like the first game better there more emotion involvement with the characters, i feel like you were trying to design something with action and horror which compromise your story in this game... Face sprites are awful but that's my opinion... Died 3 times which is good it's not to easy but once you figure out your system you can beat it real easily.

My advice, i've been drawing my own sprites for 4 months i never made a game but i draw and write a lot, story wise SAD makes better characters than HORROR survival characters... Doesn't mean you can't have horror parts but if you add a huge body count people just don't give a s**t about other important characters deaths... When i found her sister finally injured you don't care anymore cause you the main character have search 30-40 dead people  :guffaw:

Good Job next game use your system you currently have but instead of evil spirits coming to get you it's the police... and when they grab you it's life in prison...

P.S. remember this just my opinion and i'm a nerd so  :guffaw:

4. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    When I started making it I actually remembered clock tower when that huge thing was all like "ALYSSAAAA" and that was fun. xd

So I may have taken a little bit of inspiration from there.

I guess you're right about the body count potentially desensitizing the player, but I don't think it influences how you react when it's

someone important, maybe my execution was just not good enough.

The facesets, I know are not perfect but I'd rather have my facesets in there, even if it's not outstanding. They're basically

my second, third and fourth facesets :D Unelma being second, Ray third, Leyn fourth in respective order xd

So yeah I can use some practice with that :)
    Thanks for the feedback and thanks for playing :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  5. dxues

dxues Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    I registered just so I could comment on this thread so finally here I go:

My friend hooked me up with ''Crimson Mind'' a while ago and I was curious how the story would progress. I must say i was kind of bummed that this story is not a continuation of Crimson Mind but when I played through this game yesterday I find myself enjoying this title a lot. 

The first thing i noticed was the moody atmosphere all around - from music to map design to the characters' dialogue and facial expressions - which I really liked. You could certainly improve your character art but I enjoy seeing you've put some work into creating your own. Though you can tell a big difference in quality (?) or rather drawing style from one character design to the other which slightly put me of. 

My 2 cents about the actual game: 

I have to say I'm not disappointed in the least! I actually replayed the game just to see the different endings/options. The difficulty of the gameplay felt appropriate and I can't complain about lack of interaction with the surroundings either. Moving on to the characters: I love how you can see Unelma develop as you explore the village further - her reactions to the corpses get more and more apathetic or rather true to her real desires/thoughts. Especially the diary entries let you get a grasp of what really goes through her head. The little cutscenes allow you to see what the village was like before Ray's involvement and I particularly like the vibrant, lively colours which put a stark contrast to the rather dark and chilly atmosphere afterwards. What the story lacks, in my opinion, is the exploration of Leyn's character. You can identify some of her traits but as a whole she stays a mystery so I couldn't really empathize with her unlike with Unelma. Same goes with Ray - what are his intentions? Just like in ''Crimson Mind'' you only get to peek into his character. Maybe this is intended and is kept as a plot-device for your final project? I sure hope so.
    Unlike kingkoopa300 argued above, I don't really think this game exchanges story for 'horror' and 'action'. The 'horror' aspect seems more like a tool to allow Unelma's character development. I agree that you won't care about all the deaths because you encounter so many of them but that's the point for me? Unelma WANTED them dead, it wouldn't make sense for her to feel sad about every corpse. As for Leyn's injury I didn't really care about her being injured as well but that is for the lack of her character being present and explored rather than for the amount of corpses you've seen along the way.  :)

By the way, I like the symbolism behind the title 'Crimson Light', it's very fitting - +1.
    Overall: 4/5 Keep up the good work and don't let us wait too long  ;_;

I'm looking forward to more of your games!

6. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    Overall: 4/5 Keep up the good work and don't let us wait too long  ;_;

I'm looking forward to more of your games!
    Thank you so much!!

I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

The registering part makes me feel more complimented than I should be :D

I guess I could have improved Leyn's development a little bit, no excuses there :p

About Unelma, thank you for recognizing those,\. I was afraid those weren't apparent to the average player so I was getting paranoid :D

As for Ray, in every short entry you're supposed to get a little bit of his character/motivations but in the shorts he mostly serves as a force to drive the

plot forward.

About the title... I named it both "crimson" as well because in a way Rilris and Unelma's mentalities are very similar when it comes to dealing with things.

They can both go very far in terms of creating their own peace/happiness, disregarding morals that should otherwise be a holdback. Even if Unelma denies it :p

7. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    Update/Fixes:

- Updated all facesets and some sprites (with the exception of Leyn)
    - Fixed bug where slashing at a crystal with 0 seals gives game over
    - fixed a certain npc chasing you before intended chase.

Gastin likes this.
  8. Perpared

Perpared Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    getting an error: rpg vx ace rtp is required to run this game download :(

9. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
  10. JeffPAWA

JeffPAWA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Hey there buddy!

guess what I baked you a pie!...not really but I've made a Play of this game too!

here!

Also, i loved it, especially the new mechanic it's super sweet!

everything work superbly (i don't think it's a word) together and how Ray actually ties all your stories is nice! i like it :D

I don't have any bad comments you did really good! Except the part where I'm an idiot and don't read important stuff...

Keep on the good work

Have a nice one!

11. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    Hey Jeff!

I was secretly looking forward to you playing it :D

I'm glad you liked it!

It's always fun to watch you play it, especially since I know you know

it's the same universe :)

Im super curious about the other parts too xP

12. Kokoro Hane

Kokoro Hane Overly Ambitious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This games look very well done and interesting, I am downloading right now! I will give you a full review when I am done playing. Question; how many endings can be achieved?

13. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    Thank you, I hope you'll enjoy it lots :)

There are 2 endings, also you can unlock an extra scene post-credits(which slightly depends on the ending) by collecting 4 flashback diaries in the village houses.

Kokoro Hane likes this.
  14. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    The Rework is here:
    Featuring extended story, gameplay, character backgrounds, updated graphics, added features.

The feature list:
    - Item quick-select/use
    - Improved Panic System, Spawn system for the horrors that come for you.
    - A feature to let you fight back at some point.
    - A feature that memorizes the decisions you make through the game and uses it in other games playing in the same universe.

Links are updated!

15. An Additional Pylon

An Additional Pylon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So, my first impressions of the game (~15 minutes of playthrough so far):

I've noticed a little glitch here. After I checked the dead Leyn, the only way I can go right is when I stand on the paved road tiles; if I try to transit using the path splattered with blood, I can't move.

I feel like you could have used some design choice to make the player look through the church, rather than popping out a message that I should probably check the location out before moving on. Like say, throwing out something dangerous looking that would immediately make me want to arm myself first (and thus -- encourage me to explore the area before).

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty solid game.

16. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    True, I forgot the transfers at certain parts were that way, I can fix it and put it into the next patch, thanks for pointing it out. :)
    As for the church, putting for example one of the masked shadows would work. I'll consider that too. Seems fair enough :D.
    I hope you'll enjoy it!

17. An Additional Pylon

An Additional Pylon Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    There is also one place inside the church where I couldn't stand on the blood (in front of the stairs, middle hall). But those are just little bugs I've noticed, so you can have a solid feedback to work on. It's not me trying to criticize the game or anything.

It might be just me but I'm quite used to having these game mechanics that punish you very hard if you're being reckless. If I were in charge of making a survival horror-esque RPG, I would probably strive to make the game feel as open worldly as possible. But what I've played so far was promising, nonetheless!

18. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    No it's alright, any feedback is helpful, criticism included. I also want it to be as good as it can possibly be and that means weeding out the smaller bugs too which I wouldn't encounter by myself. (I have a notepad document for all the small bugs people encounter and then I'll fix all in one patch) It opens up a bit but I don't think I could call it open world in particular. Anyway any feedback you have now or later, I'll appreciate :D

19. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    Update:
    - Fixed Typo
    - Fixed Some tileset passability issues.
    - Fixed Empty chest
    - Fixed a stairwell leading to nothingness.
    - Fixed intro sequence repeating in case of backtracking in a certain flashback.

20. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This was a okay game with some inconsistency's and poor reasons for the way the villages act toward the main characters.