Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a random thought I had just now, and want to know what people would prefer in a game that has critical hit chances. So, this is purely for critical hits performed by the player (but I guess it could it be applied to enemies too, somehow), but what if you could see beforehand whether your attack or skill will result in a critical hit from the command window or through a status icon? In other words, when you get the critical hit indicator, you'll be guaranteed to hit with critical damage, and if it's not there, you know for sure it'll just be a normal hit. Would this be interesting as a feature, or would people prefer the surprise of hitting a critical hit?

Shikamon

The Dragonslayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think I prefer critical hit just like a "jackpot!". I should feel lucky when I acquired it. I dont mind for bigger chance for critical hit but not for guaranteed hit, I feel like it could just utilized certain skill for a big hit.

ScorchedGround

Blizzards most disappointed fan
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a question about that then:

Is it even possible to gain a natural 100% hit chance in your game?
If it's an item, skill or state that grants guaranteed critical hits, then I don't think you need to show the player since they should be aware of that themselves.

Or are you talking about "if you were to use an attack with 20% crit chance and it would result in a critical hit if you did, show it to the player beforehand."?

That could be tricky to code since the actualy critical calculation is only made when you actually use the skill.

Rodak

Dang Hippy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Math
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My favorite use of critical hit being guaranteed was in the Epic Battle Fantasy series. If an enemy was "Staggered" then next hit was a guaranteed critical hit.

There was also a small chance the rest of the time, but hitting a staggered foe was 100%.

Best of both worlds.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
outside of a mechanic that the player would already be fully aware of (like the stagger mechanic mentioned above) it should be a surprise.
not knowing it is coming and then suddenly getting that big crit is an easy way to give the player a shot of adrenaline which for most people adds to their enjoyment of the game, especially in a very tough fight or at a critical HP state.
some games actually have a hidden mechanic of increased crit rates and defense at low HP specifically for this purpose.
(like Doom having what "appears" to be <10% HP is actually half health after all the hidden buffs get activated) it's just a sneaky way to add that sense of "that was intense but i pulled it off" which causes a dopamine reaction (pleasure)

Last edited:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just a question about that then:

Is it even possible to gain a natural 100% hit chance in your game?
If it's an item, skill or state that grants guaranteed critical hits, then I don't think you need to show the player since they should be aware of that themselves.

Or are you talking about "if you were to use an attack with 20% crit chance and it would result in a critical hit if you did, show it to the player beforehand."?

That could be tricky to code since the actualy critical calculation is only made when you actually use the skill.
The latter. It'd be based on a percentage chance, but when it hits on the critical outcome, it'd be shown to the player beforehand. I don't have it in my own game, or have any current plans for implementing anything like it. It was just a random thought I had, and see what other people would think about it.

I think that one way of implementing it would be having 2 versions of each skill, a normal hit version and a guaranteed critical hit version (could allow for different animations that way too) and replace one with the other, depending on whether it landed on the critical hit chance or not. The critical hit chance would be rolled for at the end of each turn in battle.

Basileus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could have a resource that determines critical hit chance, which can show a guaranteed critical if it is maxed out. Fate/Grand Order does this with its critical star system.

FGO's combat is card-based, with the player's team having a deck of attack cards and choosing 3 cards from a hand of 5 each turn. Attacks create a number of critical stars when they hit an enemy, based on the the attacking character's stats, the type of attack used, and the number of hits the attack has. At the start of each turn, the stars the player currently has are distributed across the 5 cards drawn and each star gives the card a +10% chance to critical hit (so 10 stars on a single card gives a 100% chance to crit). Each character has a "star weight" that affects how many stars their cards can attract, and 3 of the cards drawn get a "weight" modifier. This means that if the player generates 10 stars, then on the next turn it's possible to guarantee a critical hit...but it's much more likely that they will have 1 card with a 50% chance to crit and 4 cards that aren't likely to crit.

However, character skills give a lot more control over critical hits if the player designs a team around it. Some skills can create a bunch of stars on demand while others can raise (or lower) star weight to control the flow of stars to a specific character's cards. This gives players a choice to take critical hits as an unexpected bonus that sometimes happens, or the build an entire team designed to make sure a single DPS can crit as much as possible.

The exact way the system works probably won't translate well to a non-card system, but the idea of a resource to govern critical hits that the player can build around does seem interesting.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Fun fact: Digimon is an isekai :kaoswt2:
The problem with being a perfectionist is that you are never done with something.
Our Lore Wizard, Buttercup, just emailed me a draft of one of our in-game lore books, and it's one of my favorites so far. Her books are really bringing a vibrant history to Evergloom!

I've posted it under a spoiler tag called 'A study in 43rd Century Poetry' in our development thread!
Whoops, the corner of my map is as big as GALV's whole demo map xD
wops.PNG
A little more of the CMS. #rm2k #DestinyPatch
QUhhNBK.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CMaroon07