Criticise my concept art so I can improve.

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I want all of you to yell at me until the pictures I draw aren't so bad. If you think my art sucks, then be as honest as possible. An "I think Peacock Man is super gay." is still more helpful than a "Wow! It all looks great!" It's better to get trashed right now than to get trashed after the game is released. This is all concept art, so I can still fix it before its too late.

photo.JPG

Flowers of Onionland Test

photo 1.JPG

Common Hox Mutated Woman

photo 2.JPG

Domesticated Goose

photo 3.JPG

Fatwood Tree

photo 4.JPG

Peacock Man

I have a deviantart account where most of these are posted, along with some plot stuff: http://piermanwalter.deviantart.com/

Yell at me so I get better.

Sky Usanin

deleted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Unknown
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, here it goes:

• Flowers of Onionland
They look good. However, the outlines are way too visible and are looking.. weird on it. I think you should change the outline colors to a darker shade of the nearest color.

• Common Hox Mutated Woman
Looks good as well, but you should work on this one's shading.

• Domesticated Goose
Sorry. I don't know what is that supposed to be, at all.

• Fatwood Tree
The shading looks really awkward. What you should do is using a very dark shade of the colors used, but don't use 100% black. The leaves don't look like... well, leaves. I don't really know what to say about them.

• Peacock Man
I can't say much about this one because it's just a sketch. It looks good, so far.

mjshi

Jack of Most Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Flowers of Onionland:

The ones towards the back are weirdly blurred. Generally you only want to have that kind of blurriness if you're aiming to emulate photography and camera focus. Not the best idea for game art.

Common Hox Mutated Woman

Her dress(?) looks a bit messy, and the veil/hair has some harsh-looking black dots on them. Might want to soften those.

Domesticated Goose

Nothing to say at the moment, maybe when you get the idea onto the screen :p

Fatwood Tree

Quite honestly, it looks like a bunch of carrots. thought it was a bunch of carrots when I first saw it.

Peacock Man

Reminds me of a bunch of Unknowns bundled together. You're not making those 'eye' parts black in the final version, I hope?

Nivlacart

Glue my hand to the tablet pen.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are they meant to be just props on their own? I think they can only be judged on whether they're any good depending on how it matches everything else you're putting them together with.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't think non-pixel art tools and filters should ever be used with pixel art.  The strength of pixel art is the clarity and fine control you get from working in such a structured art style.  The strength of non-pixel is the smoothness and freedom of style.  They have opposing purposes, using them both makes them both not work as well.

I think what would help you the most right now isn't practice, but study.  Pick something that you like, something that you see and think "I want to be able to make something just like this".  Look at it closely, and try to break it down into what makes it up.  Are the backgrounds full of interesting architectural detail or just a wash of color?  Is the color dramatic or subtle?  What about the lighting?  Contrast?  Layout?  Do you really like the folds of the fabric?  The detail on the grass?  Take ONE of those elements, then look up tutorials on how other artists do that one thing.  Find reference images and look at them.  Then try drawing things that are focused on doing that one element well.  Post it and get artists opinions on how well you've learned that one element and get feedback on how to improve it.  Take the study images and the feedback you received and remake them with the feedback in mind.  Remaking instead of drawing something new is essential.  Get more feedback, and remake some more.  When you're satisfied that you've got that one element down repeat the process with another element of that original inspirational image.  Repeat the entire process.

It's a hard method of study, you'll be drawing the same thing over and over and doing a bunch of art about things that you're not interested in and that don't relate at all to what you're trying to make, but if you go at it this way with enough effort you will get a huge improvement extremely quickly.  I've done it before and I've seen others do it to, you'd be surprised with how fast it works.  You will have to put aside your ego though, and use a lot of critical thinking.  There's no way around hard work.

Pierman Walter

Chunk Monster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Now that I have actually finalised my character design and sort of have a vision of what the game is going to look like, I'm just going to put this stuff here. Continue trashing. I want to know if these guys are good enough.

Painting 36.png

She is supposed to be a head and spinal cord piloting a sexy robot suit.

everyman_rpg_character_concept_art_1_by_piermanwalter-d9ijz9a.jpg

These two people are meant to be from the same species.

Painting 61.png

These are map icons drawn by a character who, in-universe, sucks at drawing. He's the one on the far right.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildsheep

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So the biggest thing I would say is to work on your anatomy.   A good anatomical foundation will make your art so much better.   Muscles bulge off of bones and then then taper at joints.   Learn where your bones/joints are and study the human form.  Breasts aren't that high up on a body unless a lady is wearing a push up bra.     The deltoid muscles really shape the shoulders and taper into the arm while the tricep will bulge out on a well sculpted arm.  Etc.  Hope this helps.

tut01.png

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Kickstarter successful!! I'm gonna have a Hot GameDev Summer in the trenches!
Me and my friend got into one of our usual discussions after I reccomended him a game, and I remember the last time we had a discussion like that, he disabled his FA account. This time, I found myself constantly checking my friends account hoping it wouldn't happen again. ...But it didn't.

The thing is... I just can't lie about my feelings, sometimes. :(
COMBAT:

Finally showing combat in my game. The lighting system I'm currently using doesn't transfer over into combat, but I am hoping to find a new one soon... or an update for the one I'm using. The plan is to make combat less bright, though. You'll want to click the video link below and visit YT for audio.
Huge thanks to D757 Gaming for his stream, impressions and review of my game, please check him out!
Thank you to everyone who participated in the 3rd quarter annual Drifty jam! I'm always so impressed with the games people make! This time our winner dominated both categories!
jamWinners2.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imthemudman