Criticism, Rookie mistakes. Help out a newbie here

Nvrgp22

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I feel like i need a bit of validation-/ criticism becouse i have been working on this project for easily 50 hours, and the story is barely about to start. I may upload a demo soon, if anyone is interested. This is my first game ever made with rpgmaker, and thats why im craving criticism

Képkivágás.PNGKépkivágás2.PNGKépkivágás3.PNGKépkivágás4.PNGKépkivágás5.PNGdy-ish

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Ideas & Prototypes. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

What are you wanting criticism on? All you've given is some screenshots. If you provide more input - plot, features, mechanics, etc - people can provide better feedback. Unless visual style is all you want feedback on?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You need to be more specific. Like mlogan said, what do you want criticism on?

In addition to everything my mod friend said, 50 hours in a project is a VERY small amount of time. It's totally normal that you don't have anything concrete to show for now. With so little to go on perhaps it would be better if you continue a bit with your project and come back for criticism once you have a bit more substance in your project. I would say once you have a functional battle system and the first hour of your game done, you can send people a demo and ask them for criticism.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
OK, so since all I've got to go off of is the visuals, I'll go ahead with those.
- Everything is very mixed up. What I mean by that is the style of everything is not very consistent. Some of your sprites are from MV, others from Ace, and the bodies don't match the heads.
- There is *way* too much going on with the title screen. Fire, particles, a building, and some sort of circle thing. I think it would probably be a good idea for you to wait a little longer so that you have the contents of the story formulated a bit more and you know what the main themes of your title screen should be.
- There seems to be a lot of MS Paint editing going on, especially with your sprites and faces. I'd recommend either doing all RTP or all custom, because the RTP with details hastily drawn over it looks a bit jarring.

All of that said, 50 hours is pretty much the genesis of your development. I wouldn't be overly concerned with how long it's taking, considering you'll find several of us, and other developers taking upwards of 4 years and still working. Plus, this is your first game. Most of us don't even finish our first games. I'd make something a little bit simpler and come back to this later if it seems to be too much to handle.

Nvrgp22

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
New features.... I have not been thinking about that... I mean, i have all parallax maps, Levelup lines, diagnal movement, Animaded title (new), enemy health bars.
The plot is a doozie... Here is a snippet:
Once upon a time, the leviathan ruled the continent. It summoned many great dangers, until one day, when the leviathan was defeated by 4 mighty warrior. They became arch mages, heroes, legends. But every legend will fade with time... But whenever a story finishes, anotherone starts. Take controll of Either Sam/Lucy (Name it, and choose a class for him/her), and start your journey. You get a letter from Ray. Your uncle. He writes "I can't tell you this in letter. Can you come to my house?" as you do, he tells you that your grandfather was one of the adventurers who defeated the leviathan, and that cultist's are trying to assemble the 4 swords the leviathan was sealed in. So Ray basicly tells you : Can you investigate how did they steal this blade

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well if you're looking for some feedback on your plot, I would say that it is not super unique, but nothing really is these days to be honest.

It sounds like you have the start of something. Although, personally, I don't like the 'boy hero saves the world' trope. But I hope you keep working at it. Find a way to put a unique spin on the trope you're using, make it your own. Remember to have fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kitchen counters! I am on my second version of counters. It is slow going and I always see little details that could be done better. Have to force myself to say that's good enough for now and continue on.
I always thought I was just really, really bad at communication, then the internet proceeds to say "lol no".
Almost 100,000 Threads! We should make a celebration. Make a 100K logo? :p
Cursed problem: Multiple language switches. Say, you want to switch to EN language from JP but you have no idea where the language switch in JP menu language.
Tonight I'm finally going to start putting the dungeons my team has made on grid paper into the engine. That's the final step of making the game world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohannBecker