Cross-platforming. Is it just me or...

TwistedSisler

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is it just me or does cross-platforming in modern game development seem to be having an impact on modern game mechanics by limiting them? Especially in RPG's. It just seems now a days that games developers are so focused on making sure that their game can run smoothly on any platform, that the games just end up being dumbed down mechanics-wise.

First example of this that comes to mind is Skyrim, or the entire Elder Scrolls series for that matter. Each iteration of them, as technology advances, the mechanics become more simple and dumbed town to where Skyrim is basically just a hack n slash RPG compared to it's predecessors. There are other games out there that fit this too.

So do you think it has something to do with cross-platforming being a priority, or do you think it is other things contributing to this? Thoughts?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's more them trying to appeal to a wider audience so they are simplifying the game some. Granted, there are some areas where that might be a good thing (most don't want to spend 6 hours studying the manual before they can play at all), but overall I'd say its more trying to appeal to more that is causing this.

TwistedSisler

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Could definitely be as well. Also, it could be that I am just getting old and the types of games that I grew up playing and are used to are just the things that I enjoy, but newer generations don't necessarily want to learn intricate game mechanics. Still though, it is sad seeing the things you love most about games, slowing disappearing and becoming nonexistent in modern games.

Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To the OP: Basically what bgillisp said.

It bIt depends on how well you embrace change. Sometimes it's for the better, other times it can be crap. Just think, without change you probably wouldn't have your favorite games when you were younger. You just have to take it and stride and move on with the world or become a grumpy old man that won't let go of the past. Plus depending on what you're into there are still games that harbor back to yore, either just as or with a modern twist, it's just not as well known or spread, you gotta look for them. Plus with game development being as accessible as is, it's easier then ever to at least try and make the games you love and miss.

TwistedSisler

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To the OP: Basically what bgillisp said.

It bIt depends on how well you embrace change. Sometimes it's for the better, other times it can be crap. Just think, without change you probably wouldn't have your favorite games when you were younger. You just have to take it and stride and move on with the world or become a grumpy old man that won't let go of the past. Plus depending on what you're into there are still games that harbor back to yore, either just as or with a modern twist, it's just not as well known or spread, you gotta look for them. Plus with game development being as accessible as is, it's easier then ever to at least try and make the games you love and miss.
Very true. And to be clear, it's not at all that I think all games now a days are trash. If that's how it came off, that was unintentional. I think it's more that it saddens me to see my favorite franchises evolving in a way that I disagree with, and almost all of them are. The silver lining though is that this is what is getting me into independent game development. I have so many ideas for games that just wouldn't fly today in most studios, but I know there are others out there with the same itch as me for games with that classic feel.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problem is that all those fancy graphics and effects need more work to be created. That means the game needs to be sold to more people to become a financial success, and that in turn requires the already mentioned "turning down".

Twenty years ago games could be targeted at the hard-core gamers alone, and could be made with difficult mechanics because those gamers wanted them. And that could be done bevcause a lower number of sales was enough to pay for the development of the game, simply because the game had less work-intense graphics.

And that is also why today it's mostly independent developers who create the interesting and complex games, and why those games often have simpler graphics again. The big studios can no longer afford to make games with simpler graphics, because that would destroy their "standing".
But for the fancy games, they need more sales than the hardcore gamer group has members, so they have no choice but to go for casual gamers.

But that is also the reason why a lot more indie-developer are out there creating the more complex games they are missing themselves as well - and why those games still have the simpler graphics as those developers can't afford the team of artists needed to make the games "fancy".

TwistedSisler

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the problem is that all those fancy graphics and effects need more work to be created. That means the game needs to be sold to more people to become a financial success, and that in turn requires the already mentioned "turning down".

Twenty years ago games could be targeted at the hard-core gamers alone, and could be made with difficult mechanics because those gamers wanted them. And that could be done bevcause a lower number of sales was enough to pay for the development of the game, simply because the game had less work-intense graphics.

And that is also why today it's mostly independent developers who create the interesting and complex games, and why those games often have simpler graphics again. The big studios can no longer afford to make games with simpler graphics, because that would destroy their "standing".
But for the fancy games, they need more sales than the hardcore gamer group has members, so they have no choice but to go for casual gamers.

But that is also the reason why a lot more indie-developer are out there creating the more complex games they are missing themselves as well - and why those games still have the simpler graphics as those developers can't afford the team of artists needed to make the games "fancy".
All very good points.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Andar brings up some good points. In the early 90's one studio said they uncorked the champaigne when they had sold 400,000 copies of a game and had a party. Nowadays though that game would be considered a failure by most studios.

Though I'll admit if I sell 400,000 copies of my game I'll go have a nice steak dinner to celebrate. I will probably even do that for 4,000 copies in today's market.

TwistedSisler

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That actually brings me to another point. Indie development has been both a blessing and a curse to the industry in a lot of ways. It has been a blessing for people like us who love to create them and now finally have the means to do that on a smaller capacity, but it has also become so saturated, and that sometimes gives an illusion that the standard for quality in games has dropped, but I don't think it has. I think the number of people out there that have the creative capacity to make a quality game are far fewer than the dreamers that do not.

And to be clear, I don't mean that in a disrespectful or deterrent way to anyone, just that with Indie games, there seems to be much less of a filter so you have to dig through a lot of garbage sometimes to find a good game, if that makes any sense. That is the curse part.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Time flies by... already 1/6th of the calendar released :o
Realizing that 2020 is the only year since 2015 that I haven't made a RM game. Maybe I should do a tiny one to keep the streak?
grief... lol... I keep seeing request for MZ versions of MV plugins. this is why I haven't moved over and just MZ for my MV project.
Egg-sitting minigame is coming along nicely. Are you a bad enough dino to keep all these raptor eggs warm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HolyNova