All those years, outside looking in...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

​
New website coming soon!!!!!

Hello :) If you guys remember I made a previous thread seeking some help with a life simulator. However it was put on hold since I was still getting familiar with the RPG Maker VX Ace program, and I had finals to study for. Now that I am much less busy and am somewhat more friendly with VX Ace, I can finally begin this project.

Story Synopsis

You, the player, have just moved to the small, sleepy town of Fallberry at seven years young with your mother and father. As the years pass and you mature into a teen and then adult you will make friends, go to school, get a boyfriend, get a job, get married, and basically live out your life. Everything is still in rough shape and needs tweaking (I don't even have a game title yet) so this is just an idea.

Gameplay
There will be many things you can do! Too many, lol. The gameplay still needs to be shaped and roughed out, but for now there will be an in game clock, with things you can do depending on the time.

Screenshots

The gorgeous title screen thanks to Kds!

The entrance of the house. Still trying to find something to fill in that empty feel... don't mind the sprite, I'm using it until we get a real one. You  will be able to play the piano, and earn skill from it c:

The kitchen. Which also feels empty... yes you will be able to cook!

The street the player lives on. She's standing in front of her house.

The restaurant

Videos
Sorry again for the terrible quality >.<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx1lsWrL4_s
More terrible quality videos! Enjoy this friendship event between Connor and Ethan.

Positions needed
Eventer (can do it myself, but still good to have many)
Scripter (can't code for life)
Mapper (can also do, but my mapping needs work)
Someone to color in the custom drawings (I suck at coloring... but I can do it...)
Pixel artist/spriter
Music composer
Writer (which I'm excellent at! But again, can't do everything by myself)
MAYBE, POSSIBLY, NOT EVEN A POSSIBILITY YET BUT STILL THROWING IT OUT THERE... voice actors. (Even so, it won't be needed until MUCH later.)
**New** Artists! You don't have to be skilled (look at my drawings for example .-.) but I can't do all the art by myself.
All services will be free, as this will be a free game for all. By the way, this will be a long term project, as being what it is, it will obviously take a long time until it's even close to finished. I'm not telling you to work on it every second of every day, just don't join unless you know you have to drop out. :)

What will I be doing you ask?
Making custom art and facesets even though I can't draw :D
Eventing
Some mapping
Writing

Characters so far
These are NOT the real pictures being used. Facesets will be (terribly) hand drawn by me. I used a face generator to give a basic idea of what the characters will look like. If you have any ideas for characters I will gladly take them. Characters must be in depth back stories, likes and dislikes. :)

So, without further ado... here they are!

The Main Cast

Hero
The protagonist of the story. Her name, personality, and life are all up to you.

Cassidy Miranda Andrews
Cassidy is the bully of the town and is disliked by most adults, and others, but she has friends because they either want to be popular like her, or because they are afraid of her, or because she is believed to have a "nice side" when really she is all poison. When you first encounter her she is threatening her brother to not tell on her for something she did by holding her breath until she passes out. At first looks she is aggressive, manipulative, destructive and a bully. However, there is a side to her story and why she bullies everyone around so much. If someone is patient enough to become her real friend and listen, there is hope she can learn to stop her acts.

Candy Lee Davis
Candy is as sweet as the treat she was named for, and clearly knows right from wrong. She has very strong opinions and will go on and on in a debate. She loves a good heated debate, which is the only time you'll ever see her get snappy. She is one of the few girls spared by Cassidy's wrath, as Cassidy only picks on those weaker than her and Candy has a much stronger personality. She is very flamboyant, preferring to dress in bright, attention drawing clothes, and follows the beat of her own drum. Unfortunately she suffers from anorexia, which if you choose her as your friend, can hopefully help her overcome.

Serena May Zantos
Serena is albino, which causes her red eyes and white hair. She seems happy despite her dark past, which you will figure out if you become her friend. She is well rounded, intelligent and knows how to speak many different languages, and almost always has her nose in a book. Her parents are the richest in town, so she lives in a large house, but they are often away due to work putting extra stress on Serena. Ironically, she is best friends with Cassidy, but only because she is intimidated of her.

Emily Loise Barkley
Emily is shy, and has a heart too big for her chest, though she only shows it to those she truly cares about. She lives with Savannah, her best friend, since her mother was too unhealthy to take care of her and her father has been hospitalized for many years due to sickness. Her father is a key point to her storyline as Emily can't forgive him for leaving them at such a young age, but if you choose her as one of your friends you can possibly help her forgive him. Being as timid as she is, she is one of Cassidy's victims, but once the teenage years approach Cassidy doesn't pick on her as much due to Savannah being protective of her. As a child Emily has a large crush on Garrett, Savannah's older brother, but gets over it in teenagehood.

Savannah Janey Delucas
Savannah is very loudmouthed and eccentric, and has the imagination of a five year old. She lives with her older brother, Garrett and also with Emily. She is extremely protective of her best friend Emily, even going as far as getting into fights with bullies to defend her. She struggles with acceptance and often draws people away due to her behavior, but she claims Emily is the only friend she could ever need.

Garrett Jones Delucas
Savannah's older brother who takes care of her and Emily in the teenage stage. He has a similar personality to his sister, but much less watered down. He is extremely protective of his sister, to the point where it annoys her to an extent. Garrett struggles with a tobacco and alcohol addiction problem, something you can help him overcome if you take his social path. You cannot date him in the teenage stage due to the age difference, but once adults he is a bachelor you can date and get married to.

Ethan Chase Andrews
Cassidy's twin brother, Ethan is younger than her, by about seven minutes. Ironically, he is Cassidy's main target of bullying, despite being her brother, and their parents are too hardworking to do anything about it, much less care. He rarely shows emotion of any kind, making him the hardest to befriend, but it's worth it if he's the one you're going for. He is one of the bachelors you can date and marry once old enough. When you first encounter him, his sister is threatening him. It seems that even though he is constantly harassed by his sister, he loves her dearly anyways.

Connor James Mac
Connor is childish at times, and loves nothing more than to tease others, especially girls. He is very sweet and laidback, though his family is struggling with financial issues. He wants nothing more than affection and love, and if you follow his romance path I promise it's very sweet. He is the youngest out of an older brother and sister.

Zachary Thomson Atlas
(Thanks soo much DeathKnight9)

Zachary is the shy type, usually not talking first in a conversation nor starting one himself. Quiet, and quite polite, even as a child. His family used to be the wealthiest around, until a fire spread and burned their house down. Without much of a home, and most of their financial possessions gone, he learns how it is to be poor, but his parents insist on him to forget about all that he had, focusing on his current life now. By his teenager years, he forgot about the wealth, and focused more on his studies, though he is willing to make some friends, which he is bad at. An only child.

"Arm" Kyte
(Thanks to NPC for both Arm and Xavier)
The guy who tends to be the life of the party. As the game progresses, you may learn of his real name. He is an orphan who lives by himself, and has since he was four. He is very protective, and might even give his life for someone. He seems very shallow on the outside however.

Xavier Obed Hennock
An artist, he tends to not be able to properly express his emotions through words- which can get him in tough situations. He's pleasant enough if you get past the communication problems, and his art is phenomenal. 

Other Characters

Annabelle Mariah Clemons
A side character to the story who dies as the teen year ends due to illness. Though not mentioned a lot, she has a drastic effect on Garrett's storyline, as they used to date.

Blythe Alison Roux
A toddler at the beginning of the game. She is Candy's little cousin. Her family owns the candy store. She is one of the few side character NPCs that you can befriend, but not until you're a teenager (and she's a child).

Ooh ooh! Concept art! :D
Apologies in advance for the low-res of the pictures

Candy as a child

Serena as a child

Garrett as a teenager.

So yeah, that covers everything. If you need more details please PM me or post on this thread. I don't bite!

Hope to see you on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

superjesus

maestrofluffy
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
composer still here :D , i talked to you earlier , if you wish to still work with me id be glad to help , :D just PM me 

RyanA

Happy Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Why make a screenshots tab if you have no screenshots? =w=

Randommerade

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Why make a screenshots tab if you have no screenshots? =w=
For when I do get screenshots (which will be VERY soon, I can promise) and also it takes up space. :3

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would love to assist in the making of the music of this game.

I personally have some connections to very talented artists and writers as well, that I can introduce you to should I like the way the game is going!

If you would like some samples of my music or just to chat more add me on skype; soldiergoose69

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just like always, I'm willing to help you XD Besides the usual sprites, I could also help you with the drawings and (if you're really going to do it) voice acting! I'm still a bit inexperienced and my accent is rather heavy, but I'm in a Dub Studio myself so I'd love to do that^^

Randommerade

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would love to assist in the making of the music of this game.

I personally have some connections to very talented artists and writers as well, that I can introduce you to should I like the way the game is going!

If you would like some samples of my music or just to chat more add me on skype; soldiergoose69
We have a music composer but another can't hurt anyone :) Can I see some samples? I don't have Skype.

Just like always, I'm willing to help you XD Besides the usual sprites, I could also help you with the drawings and (if you're really going to do it) voice acting! I'm still a bit inexperienced and my accent is rather heavy, but I'm in a Dub Studio myself so I'd love to do that^^
Thanks a ton! We need sprites, but before we have sprites, we need characters XD So I'm trying my best to develop all the characters now. If the game includes voice acting I'll definitely use you :) Don't worry about your inexperience or accent! If we do have voice acting I'll definitely voice at least one character XD And I have a slight Boston accent, though it is there :p We need diversity in the characters anyway!

By the way, I have an idea for the title of the game: Swing Life Away. Taken from the song by Rise Against :) I think it would fit the game rather perfectly.

BlackRoseMii

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A Boston accent is still an accent people can understand, since it's still english. But I'm from Germany. That's something completely different XD

About the title: I like it^^ It gives you the feeling of a calm and peaceful life where you can enjoy every moment. I imagine a girl on a swing in spring or summer as a title image.

Randommerade

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A Boston accent is still an accent people can understand, since it's still english. But I'm from Germany. That's something completely different XD

About the title: I like it^^ It gives you the feeling of a calm and peaceful life where you can enjoy every moment. I imagine a girl on a swing in spring or summer as a title image.
Well, as I said, I like diversity in characters :) I like the title as well, and the song is one of my favorites.

I'm (trying) to redraw the child hero at a 90 degree angle. I really do hate drawing x.x

EDIT: Well, I got irritated with the hero and ragequit, so I started to draw Ethan instead and damn... he came out good. Good for what I can do at least XD You can see his uncolored picture under the "Concept art" spoiler :3 My hands were a little shaky while drawing over his lines with pen unfortunately... that's something I'll have to fix in Gimp. Trying to color him now. :D

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As of right now I don't have much in the way of samples but I have a couple on my soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/the-music-boxx

I'd be willing to do a 15-30 second sample to your description to see if I can compensate your needs, just send me a message~

Randommerade

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey guys! I've been lazy over the week but I got some things done! :D

-Finished the rough draft of the interior of the hero's house. You can see a screenshot of the house under the "Screenshots" spoiler.

-Implemented the cooking system, and some recipes!

-Started coloring the pictures! But they look terrible so I may scrap what I've done and start again...

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can definitely tell why you feel the rooms are empty...

Randommerade

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can definitely tell why you feel the rooms are empty...
Oh? >.>

I was thinking the problem was that the maps were too big, so I was maybe gonna reduce the size of them.

EDIT: Reduced the size of the kitchen. What do you guys think?

DeathKnight9

Oblivious to the Orange Man
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks fantastic so far. I'd like to position myself as a Writer.

Been stalking this page, and to be honest, I'm liking where this is going. The rooms aren't that empty, they possibly need more people. Just saying.

Also, is it just me, or do the plants in picture one look like they have small legs?

Randommerade

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks fantastic so far. I'd like to position myself as a Writer.

Been stalking this page, and to be honest, I'm liking where this is going. The rooms aren't that empty, they possibly need more people. Just saying.

Also, is it just me, or do the plants in picture one look like they have small legs?
Great! We need writers, especially since I can't do all of the character's storylines by myself. x.x

I just looked over the plants. That is kind of true. They look like little feet. XD

Working on Cassidy and Ethan's house now.

NPC

Auteurist in this world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One huge thing is that you aren't using the carpet. It covers a small area, and you can really only walk on it. I would recommend, in the living room, to have more things centered around the middle of the room instead of off to the sides. 

Also, the kitchen would improve with the help of a parallax mapper. That way, the trash can wouldn't be so awkwardly far away from the wall...or the counter and etc. 

EDIT: On another note, I would be happy to help you design some characters (art and story, if you need). I got time to burn.

Randommerade

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One huge thing is that you aren't using the carpet. It covers a small area, and you can really only walk on it. I would recommend, in the living room, to have more things centered around the middle of the room instead of off to the sides. 

Also, the kitchen would improve with the help of a parallax mapper. That way, the trash can wouldn't be so awkwardly far away from the wall...or the counter and etc. 

EDIT: On another note, I would be happy to help you design some characters (art and story, if you need). I got time to burn.
Thanks a lot for your advice! I'll keep this in mind when designing the houses.

Parallax mapping is terrible for me, but I guess I can try it...

We need more boys, for sure. And side characters. Like teachers etc. Thanks so much for your help! :)

Randommerade

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just a reminder, we still need a scripter, another eventer, a mapper, another pixel artist to help out our other one, and an art colorer. c:

C-C-C-Cashmere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can do eventing/mapping.

Edit: If I join the team, is there a Skype/IRC? I think that'd be really useful.

Randommerade

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can do eventing/mapping.

Edit: If I join the team, is there a Skype/IRC? I think that'd be really useful.
Eventing and mapping will definitely come in handy! :)

I also made a Skype (this goes to anyone on the team reading) it's Randommerade, though I don't have Skype on this computer so I may not be able to check it often, you can PM me if you want my email/Facebook as well, but if you don't feel comfortable with those. Skype is alright with me :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Update on my experiment with uploading my Android games to the Amazon app store: made about $45 in 2 months, but 0 sales for the past 3 weeks. Not sure its worth the effort.
Kid : "MOOOMM! My poop is bloody red!" Me, an intellectual : "There's worm parasite inside your body. You gonna die soon."
Caught a guy trying to break into our house today. Appearantly he intended to burgle our neighbor (a 94yo widow) but picked the wrong house. Faced with two angry males he was quick to give up without a fight...
I just joined the club of nerds making their own Excel-Sheets to calculate HP / MP / EXP.. parameter curves
Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apollogeist