Crowdfunding

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Xuwboss, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Xuwboss

Xuwboss Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This was meant for RPG Maker in general. What was the biggest crowdfunding goal you've seen or have attempted yourself?

2. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Commerical RPG Maker Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

mlogan likes this.
  3. Bricabrac

Bricabrac The Storyteller Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think it's a... Good question to ask. I mean, the meaning of a crowdfunding campaign should always be "ask the money that is needed to make the game", not "ask as much as you can".

Keep also in mind that Kickstarter is changing, and high goals that seemed feasible 3-4 years ago are much more difficult to reach now.

4. Xuwboss

Xuwboss Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was asking for future reference. I'm still new to engines. One of my plans is to make a commercial game with original content (music, sfx, tilesets, etc).

5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, if you're going for original tilesets, be aware that artists do not work cheap. A fully custom A1 - A5, B - E and interior/exterior tileset can run you $18,000 easily, before tax. So best plan for a pretty big budget if you want all custom stuff.

6. Xuwboss

Xuwboss Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i know artists aren't cheap. what would the cost for original music and sfx bring?

7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    No idea on that one. Most musicians charge around $30 - $125 per minute of music. Price varies by experience of the artist, and how complex the piece is, as an 8 bit piece might be cheaper than say a very complex battle tune. Sfx varies by how hard it is to make the piece, but I've yet to see an Sfx cost more than $5 on here.

8. Xuwboss

Xuwboss Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i would still use some of the Pre-existing tilesets such as the landscape stuff.

9. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think instead of randomly asking people what they've crowdfunded for, you need to be asking, "How much will I need to make the game I want?"

It will take time and a lot of research - not some numbers we can just spout out. First determine what you will really need - do you need a full custom tileset or just certain pieces to enhance what you already have? Does every PC and NPC need a faceset, or can you get away with only the main party having facesets? How many unique songs will you need for you game? Do you really need a unique soundtrack or can you take advantage of much of the amazing music already available? Are you going to need the services of a coder for custom plugins or not, and if so, how many and how complicated?

Once you know this, start pricing things out. When you are able to access the Classifieds section, you can look through for artists and programmers offering services. See if you can get a range of prices for each service, perhaps pick a price somewhere in the middle, and calculate how much you'll need.

Also take into account if you will want to be compensated for your time spent on the game.

There' are lot of factors that make this a complicated question.

10. AdamSakuru

AdamSakuru [Null_Value] Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'd like to offer my own insight here, though I don't have the most experience I think a lot of people will agree with this:

I'm the primary developer of my game project. Except I don't program. I can edit very minor things in plugins but coding's a bit too complex for me. So other than a couple things, I'm spearheading it.

I want to make a Kickstarter page about 1/4th the way through development. So, in focusing on my strengths, the financial help will be for the skills I don't have/focus on. I want to raise money for an entire custom soundtrack for my project. Worst case scenario, my plan is to pay for it from my own pocket. Which I'm capable of doing if I use most of my savings up. Best case scenario is being able to pay for the entire thing, or most of it, through crowdfunding (while I can cover anything extra if needed). Some of the money I raise will go towards technical support (i.e commissioning a coder to write up any plugins I need within reason).

I'm going to keep my Kickstarter straight and to the point. I'll have a few rewards that are easy to keep promises on (name in special thanks in credits, 1-3 "design a ____ that appears in the game" spots, etc.) People will know exactly where the money is going and why it's going there. It doesn't make sense for me to raise money to hire an artist or a writer because I'm doing both roles.

While some of this might sound like a given, I think it's easy for people to have these massive financial goals. Maybe your game really needs more funding to have your vision be the way you want it to. But unlike AAA devs, we have the advantage of not having those extremely tight dead-lines. We can spend more time on things. Undertale started out as a short 2 hour game, then the development took about 3 years as Undertale was expanded.

To also elaborate on another point someone made that artists don't work for cheap, this isn't always the case. If you can genuinely convince talent that you have a good thing going, people can be more understanding about finances. The man who's currently going to compose the soundtrack to my game (as long as his schedule doesn't get too crazy) is in a two man indie band that's considered to be the best in my city. Their last album release had them at #1 on the charts until a Beatles re-release knocked them down to #3.

The catch 22 here is that everyone claims to have 'the next big idea' and a lot of them don't actually show that they do, making something like pricing for services trickier. More importantly, it also makes the idea of someone talented collaborating with you difficult.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    lianderson likes this.
  11. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Bear in mind there are additional costs for a game project, especially one on Kickstarter. If you're not proficient in English yourself, you need to either hire a writer or hire an editor, both for your pitch and for your game. That could get expensive quickly, as RPGs can have thousands of lines written, and that's a lot for an editor to work through never mind structural work on your plot and characters. Then you'll need a video editor for your crowdfunding pitch, and possibly someone experienced with filming/sound if you want to look professional. You'll probably need that video editor to make a trailer for your game too, so that's extra money. If you're planning on offering rewards beyond "get the game" you'll need money to fulfill those rewards - t-shirts, art prints, etc.

But honestly, my greatest advice would be not to do a crowdfunding or commercial product if you're new to RPG Maker, as you say. Just make games. Make lots of games. You won't complete every project, but for every game you make you'll become more comfortable with the engine and able to make an even better game next time. Release games for free once you make something you think is worth releasing, get feedback on it and incorporate that into your next game. Keep making games, and keep improving. Once you have a few titles under your belt you're proud of and you have a much better idea what it takes to make a great RPG Maker game, then you can take it to crowdfunding, once you;re not just competent with the engine but excellent at it. To use a successful series as an example, the first two Momodora games were released entirely for free, and the third for a tiny amount on Steam. Because there were three titles in the series that people had grown attached to and could see the developer's ability at crafting a good game, they were able to start a Patreon to fund development for the fourth game, which is on Steam for around £15 now, I think. Releasing your games for free is a great way to build up a fanbase, and having a fanbase of your own makes it a lot more likely you'll succeed with a commercial game or with crowdfunding.

lianderson likes this.
  12. Golden Unicorn Gaming

Golden Unicorn Gaming Savior of Astoria Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    A good KS trailer/game trailer alone probably runs about 300-500 bucks. If your game RESEMBLES RPG Maker, it will be hard to reach $2,000, sadly. The engine is abused on KS, and a lot of the biggest RPG Maker KS projects have been unfinished for YEARS... I won't name them, but I keep up. I'd STRONGLY suggest waiting til at minimum half way point... probably 3/4 thru, so that you can promise a timely delivery date.

I released my game on KS when the entire game was basically complete... and shipped the alpha out to my backers the day funding finished. Had loads of corrections/additions after that... still took another 4 months to wrap it up. I only asked for $1000 and it was a grind, but funded a little over $1500 (hit a stretch goal). But it WAS a grind. I pounded Twitter hard. Signed up for a couple monster crowdfunders (I don't think they worked). But I had things I did wrong as well. My video was/still is kinda poorer side quality (Bandicam on top, yeesh!). But I had good things too. Beautiful cover art, good English, a 3-5+ hr demo, and I think I did a lot of stuff right WITHIN the game itself. But video is top priority. And constant updates/interaction with backers. Also, funded in February (slow season) but as soon as I was done KS got flooded with more RPG Maker games that all looked the same (and they all failed, unless they were only asking for like $200-300).

Luke
    Golden Unicorn Gaming

Titris Thrawns likes this.
  13. Xuwboss

Xuwboss Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm making a prototype game so that when I'm ready I have something to go on