Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So this is my latest attempt at a skill system, which is basically just shamelessly mixing FF7's Materia system with FF9's passive system xD

It's split into three categories.

Physical Crystals:

Physical.PNG

The Yellow ones are Command Crystals and come in two categories, ones that replace Attack command and ones that replace Guard command. You can only have 1 of each equipped at any time.

The Orange Crystals are Limit Crystals and you guessed it, they give Limit Breaks. You can only have 1 equipped at a time but much like materia, you can rank it up getting access to additional limit breaks (Each has a certain theme).

Physical 2.PNG

---------------------------------------------------------

Magical Crystals:

Magical.PNG

The blue ones are basically like FF7's blue materia, the difference will be that you can only equip 1 at a time and they effect everything else you have equipped (if applicable). Not certain how I will implement it yet however.

The Green Crystals are Healing/Buff magic and the Purple ones are Offensive magic. I split them up because....I wanted to have the two colors xD These work similarly to Materia, you gain access to the basic spell by equipping it but rank 2 teaches you that basic spell permanently, additional ranks also teach those spells.

The crystals are more limited compared to Materia however, you might be able to buy some but you wont afford it until later on and you don't gain an additional one by mastering it.

Magical 2.PNG

Passive Crystals:

Passive.PNG

These function just like FF9's passive system. You learn them from wearing equipment and equip them with passive points that you gain by leveling up.

passives.PNG

You may have noticed how the red crystal and the passive (which used to be the support one and had an S on it) looks completley identical to FF9 ones. The same letter A and S and same colors.

Oddly enough, I didn't realize for quite a while despite it being my favorite game AND the system was taking a lot of elements from it.

These were my original ideas for my versions. The last row was added last (duh) and was actually icons i made months ago for something else entirely.
sdfs.PNG
(Will prolly still use some of them, maybe different rarities)

I made the yellow command one and the orange one and figured the physical abilities should have a similar color to them, so red. And the A actually stands for Ability, not Active like in FF9.

After realizing it, I made the passive one look like FF9's, but changed the letter to P for passive after introducing the blue support crystal.

I don't like how its the same but I really like the color scheme of physical abilities having similar colors and magical ones too (sort off) and the passive having a similar color between buff magic and support. Feels like it fits.

Attachments

• ff09.PNG
    ff09.PNG
    23.8 KB · Views: 6
  • crystals.PNG
    crystals.PNG
    19.9 KB · Views: 5
  • cryust.PNG
    cryust.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 5

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What does the red A crystal do? They look pretty and I'm all for lovely little baubles, so yeah! :kaoluv:

NamEtag

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Looks good. Are you going to use an AP system for learning skills? It's got pros and cons.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
funny fact, the crystals (3rd from left) looks like rubies from "zelda" :p
white one = 100, red one = 20, green one = 1 :p

but I like your idea of the system =)

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Looks good. Are you going to use an AP system for learning skills? It's got pros and cons.

Yes, I'm using AP. Every system has its pros and cons afaik :p

funny fact, the crystals (3rd from left) looks like rubies from "zelda" :p
white one = 100, red one = 20, green one = 1 :p

but I like your idea of the system =)

Now that you mention it, true :p Only really played Zelda when I was younger tbh but they are indeed iconic.

----- NEW FEATURE -----

(Using FF terminology again for ease of understanding, not made the classes yet.)

Job/Class Crystals: You equip crystals that teach you passive effects (no longer on equipment) and changes your appearance. Each job also comes with a unique command and different weapons and armor you can use (which are unlocked permanently by mastering it).

So a Knight Crystal might grant you Cover instead of Defend command. And allows you to use Shields.

+10% HP (2000ap)
+20% END (6000ap)
Shields (15000 ap)

Just a simple example, each class will have more passives then 3 and more interesting ones like Healing on blocks or +Endurance when under 30% HP etc...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I finally played Persona 4 to see what it's all about. I'm like wait...what the...this is JOJO!
Map025.png

The second settlement you'll visit in my newest game. The small village of Teytal.
sketch 4 an opening cinematic in my gameeee >:]
Untitled_Artwork_16.jpg
oh god how do I add pictures on here it keeps saying i need a link <--( suddenly forgot how technology works )
avery wip.png

"i have to work in like 5 hours ... let's start the main character's face set"
--me, an adult for the past 20 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rehnstillnight