Curious 10 (How Do You Keep Healthy?)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by samkfj, Jan 4, 2019.

1. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I had a dog, a pitbull black lab mix who was energetic af and would bark at me LOUD at 5am EVERY day for an outing like clockwork. I'm a heavy sleeper so her whining didnt wake me. Her going off like someone trying to break in did.

She was STRONG and FAST in a tiny package (she was a runt and weighed only 35 pounds ) so i had to keep in shape to chase after her. I was never much of a runner (bad knees) so i had to jump on my bike to chase her down. This 'game' of chasing the speeding bullet went on for an hour every day 3x a day. I got super fit trying to track that fuzzball. !_! And the thing was she'd always change routes so i had to get creative and think where she *might* be that day. She could also leap over fences with a bound. =_= i miss my fuzzball. If i didn't live in an apartment I'd have a doggo again...

Philosophus Vagus and samkfj like this.
  2. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Philosophus Vagus Yeah--totally agree about the catharsis of hitting bags. I can never force myself to run a mile, or do an extra rep... but I'll always find myself going an extra few rounds against a bag.

I also love the variety of different bags to hit.

kaukusaki and Philosophus Vagus like this.
  3. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @kaukusaki Mine is a black lab, pit mix (fyi the dog with the bandana and glasses in my profile pic is a cartoon personification of him) too! He's the same kind of high energy too. I actually bought my bike because I couldn't give him the levels of exercise he demands otherwise, even on the bike he'll get ahead of me and actually pull the bike behind him sometimes, forcing me to peddle faster or get my legs attacked by the peddles. He's 45 pounds, a big difference from the 80 pounds that my late pure English lab weighed, weird you cross two beefy breeds and get a lithe, skinny pup out of it isn't it?

I could never live somewhere that doesn't allow dogs though.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    kaukusaki and samkfj like this.
  4. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Philosophus Vagus it annoys me that pitbulls and pit mixes are considered dangerous breeds and banned in most neighborhoods. I actually trained my fuzzy like a service support dog to show it's the trainer not the breed.
    Where I live I couldn't keep her unless I coughed up mooga bucks. Or lived in the countryside but without a car it was impossible.
    That's why now I work super hard so I can get a place where I can care for a fuzzy child or two. AI pets aren't the same...

5. synchronicity

synchronicity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cutting out coke is such a HUGE thing for your diet, honestly. I have to cut it out again, because I started slipping back into drinking it, but I went for years without having one and honestly just cutting that out I lost like 20lbs in a short span of time. And I was still eating the junkiest of junk foods at that time, lmao.

Normally though, all I've done to keep healthy was:
    1. Drink lots of water and swap out pop and caffeinated tea for green tea. (I actually switched to decaf for a while, and that's how I found out I was hooked on caffeine because I had migraines for a week before finally detoxing from the caffeine enough to not be bothered by it.)

2. Walk at least twice a day, which I do with my dog, and I walk for quite a distance. Where I live has lots of hills, so you can get your heart rate up easily enough.

3. Cut out potato chips. TBH I don't actually like them that much anyway, it's more of a habit to eat them if they're in the house, so cutting that out helped a lot. I'm still a sucker for sour cream and onion rings, though.

4. Eat more fruit and veggies. Doesn't necessarily have to be a lot, I'm really bad for that, but one of my go-to's for making sure I had some fruit every day was making a fruit smoothie in the morning and then usually we'd have some kind of vegetables for dinner at least. My favourite shake though is banana mixed with a little peanut butter, and although I think almond milk is absolutely disgusting to drink on its own, I prefer it for those shakes because it adds a little extra nutty flavour and it's not as thick as regular milk. (I used to drink it with regular milk, and I still find it fine for regular fruit smoothies, but the peanut butter banana ones it was way too thick.)

5. Stretches in the AM and PM. It's good to keep you from stiffening up, and it's not particularly strenuous so you can't really make excuses to not do it.

6. When I track calories - and I'm lazy with this so it's usually only for like, a week or two here and there - I usually keep it to a slight deficit, depending on my level of activity that day. If I haven't done a lot, I'll aim for 1200-1500, but if I've exercised or done anything where I know I've burned a lot of calories, I'll try to eat more. My issue honestly was always not eating enough calories. Obviously not on like, pasta day, or pizza day, where I just don't even bother with calorie counting (LOL) but on a regular day with a regular meal, most of my go-to foods are low calorie and I end up needing to snack more.

7. Dancing. In my case, it's usually something I end up doing at night in my room, and it's not all the time, but like... I get restless energy sometimes? And it's not from anything I ate or drank before bed, it's just a thing I get with my anxiety, and so sometimes some quick cardio through dancing helps me sleep.

Of course, I wrote all of this, but I've been so bad for not doing ANY of it since like, before last summer. Oops. I had a stressful year last year though so all my routine habits kind of got thrown out the window, and it was also like, the hottest summer we've had here in years, so lying face first on the ground was more appealing than moving. I've been having to re-break old bad habits and start over on the good ones.

Oh but other than all that I also have a Fitbit for tracking my activity. My boss a few years ago originally got one for us, as part of like, an "employee wellness" thing, and it's not something I ever would have bought for myself prior to that but I found I enjoyed using the app plus it's a nice reminder of how lazy I'm being so I can get off my butt and do something :p So I eventually went out and bought one of the wristband ones when my old one died (fell off in the snow and I didn't notice until the next day, it was one that you stick on your pocket).

And I enjoy challenging my coworkers on it. The competitive aspect is great because this one friend of mine challenged me, and she had an IMPOSSIBLE number of steps, I swear the girl must have just walked all day, but because I'm competitive I was trying to beat her anyway. (We ended up pretty close but she still won.)

@kaukusaki my childhood pet was a pitbull and honestly we had less issues with him than we've had with our golden retriever. He was a great dog, very well behaved, I'm sad that they're banned here in Ontario now. Honestly it's all in how you raise them, like you said. Same with our golden retriever really, his behavioural issues come from us spoiling him (there was a reason for it at the time and it was unintentional). So even though they're marketed as like, the family dog, that doesn't mean they can't be aggressive still, just like pitbulls can be perfectly docile and friendly depending on their upbringing. They really need to stop blaming the dogs, and start expecting more of the owners raising them. Most dogs with behavioural issues, it can be linked back to their upbringing.

kaukusaki and samkfj like this.