Curious 11 (What is a strange habit or habits you have?)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by samkfj, Jan 9, 2019.

1. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So--I think we're all friendly enough... what's a strange habit or habits you have?

I for instance--have to wash my hands all the time. People call it OCD--I call it keeping clean and not getting sick. I don't like dirty hands, and I also don't like shaking people's hands because I have this tic that people's hands are inherently unclean. I'll still do it... but it makes me uncomfortable every time.

I also don't like eating with my hands. I'll use a fork, spoon, spork, the end of a knife--what ever I have to--but I don't like using my hands. Some things you can't avoid, like a burger, fries (though--I have eaten a burger/fries with forks/knives before) or ice cream cone... but everything else--I need a utensil. My girl (and others before her) have laughed when I eat ribs... I'll use a fork to hold it down, and peel the meat with a knife, then fork it and eat.

If I eat a bag of chips... I'll crush them up in the bag, and eat them by pouring the contents within my mouth. I don't touch them.

Probably a very strange habit--but I find the thought of germs invading me very gross.

I also like to assign numbers to things... betcha wouldn't a guessed.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    kaukusaki likes this.
  2. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    you have germs living in your intestine 24/7.
    just.... FYI.

kaukusaki and Philosophus Vagus like this.
  3. samkfj

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well--yeah... but I mean bad external germs.

kaukusaki likes this.
  4. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, that's sisyphos's work to wash your hands all the time. Human's body is a petri dish. You're full of bacteria all the time and the moment you touch something, you can start again. I don't wash my hands as often as you and I'm healthy too, because my immune system has been properly trained. I'm tremendously infectuous though and when I am sick, it's dangerous to be around me.

My probably strangest habit is making random noises or sounds or talking to myself... All the time. Or making fun of things that shouldn't be funny, because I have a very sour humour.

samkfj likes this.
  5. samkfj

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I rarely get sick myself... it does happen, but nothing too severe. *knock on wood* Suppose that's why it's a strange habit I have.

but yes--I can totally picture you making noises and talking to yourself.

6. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    and that, is why I gave up trying.

and, if you think about it, cleaning yourself so often only makes the body *not* react with those germs long enough and *not* build defenses against them.
    .....yes, you might be in a constant state of "imperceptibly sick" rather than "healthy as a weightlifter", but on the flip side, you're a walking medicine lab.

kaukusaki likes this.
  7. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If you have time, maybe you can try to watch Aoyama-Kun.

As for mine.
    I have a weird internal body clock that always wakes me up around 3 AM to 5 AM regardless the sleep time. During the duration, I'm unable to sleep until maybe 6:30 AM. If I continue to awake from the late night without sleeping up to around those hours, I will be developing insomnia, with an extra headache. It was uncomfortable. So I never put all-nighter, instead, I usually sleep early and wakes up early. Sometimes even wake up at mid-night

samkfj likes this.
  8. Philosophus Vagus

Philosophus Vagus The drunken bird dog of rpg maker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well prepare to be grossed out further. I bite myself between the thumb and index finger of my left hand whenever I get frustrated. A tick I've had since childhood and never completely grown out of (though it's rarer now than it has been). If you ever see me draw blood while doing this (though this has only happened twice, and not since I was a teenager) then I'm probably about to start throwing punches.

I also talk to myself, or my pets, a lot. But that's less of a 'strange habit' and more of a consequence of being a misanthrope as I see it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    kaukusaki, Lornsteyn and samkfj like this.
  9. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I talk to myself a lot and pace. I don't have friends to hash things out with so when i have a problem i talk it out to find a solution since being in my head just creates a closed loop cycle.

Sometimes if a problem is especially tough, i toss a stuffed toy around while coming up with possible solutions . It seems like seeing a physical representation bouncing around unblocks the cycle and frees me to propose wild ideas.

If i drive my family nuts pacing, i go outside and have an earpiece in so it looks like I'm on the phone. I had too many calls on me by folks thinking i lost my marbles. =_=

When i had my doggo, she was my fuzzy child and i treated her as such. I don't personally have children but between my siblings i have a rugby team and though i was the cool auntie, at least i could send them back. I hated when the kids wanted to stay with me. I tell them all the time i can't stand them and they're like we know you love us auntie @_@ i can't win with those goofy kids...

As for other strange habits, i can't discuss them here.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Lornsteyn and samkfj like this.