Curious 8 (Who else is into pen and paper games?)

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by samkfj, Jan 1, 2019.

1. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Though--I know it's been asked, let's talk more about it.

So I started playing back in my early college years. I was very much into partying, drinking and finding companionship around campus. If you saw me then, you'd think I wasn't into dnd--which to be fair, I wasn't; at least not until I tried it. I still remember, I had a history class with a tiny, skinny guy with glasses. We were paired to do a report on World War I (my idea, since I am a huge WWI nerd.) I remember we got most of it done, but he comes over to my dorm and knocks on the door. The girl I was with at the time opened it up, and says to me "There's some weird guy at the door." I find him there and I greet him like an old pal. Mind you--this guy and I were total opposites, but I never treated someone as anything less than equal, whether they were party people or school oriented.

He brings the rest of his part of the report and says to me that he's going to play dnd with his friends. I asked him about it--and his little face just--lit up. Telling me about crazy stories and rolling dice. I have to admit--it went right over my head, but he seemed so excited to talk about it... so I asked him "Can I come play with y'all?" His face lit up even more. Told the girl I'd catch her later--and the two of us went to play dnd.

I felt like a fish out of water at first--out of my element, and into their world. They were savage, maybe it was because I was new, or because I wasn't one of them--but after my initiation... it became a weekly thing.

I couldn't name you many of the party friends I made, nor could I name any of the girls that spent the night with me... but I can name you all 5 of my dnd pals; first, middle and last names, where they grew up and all their favorite things--my life long friends. We played 3rd Edition DnD, I played a charismatic ranger, breaking hearts and wrecking faces; named Marlboro after my favorite brand of cigarettes.

Memories... it makes me happy that I still play with remnants of them today. Sadly, over the internet since the chance of seeing them in person ever again is slim to none; but am not the type to say never.

Once I left that college and came to college out in Dallas, I made even more friends and played even more games. I even managed to find a girlfriend that loved it too. I discovered Serenity, Starfinder, Pathfinder, DnD 5th Edition, and the list goes on.

What crazy stories do you have for pen/paper games? What games do you currently play or plan on playing?

Also--if anyone is ever interested, I play on Saturdays with my pals; and the door is always open. Though we'll begin to play again in the next few weeks due to the holidays. We play DnD 5th Edition, but we're moving to 4th I believe--and we play Starfinder also.

Also!--in the near future, I'll be hosting a test run of a game I actually made. More info on that at a later time.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That is a nice story! This could almost be a film script.

What a true badass! LOL. That part made me laugh.

Personally I didn't play a lot of DnD. I did enjoy the few games I played, but I am more of an amateur than a true dedicated nerd lol (not that there is anything wrong with that).

kaukusaki and samkfj like this.
  3. Punamaagi

Punamaagi Hero on their own terms Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had my first D&D session back in 2008 when a friend I met in a con invited me to join him and his friends in an ongoing campaign. I made a Human Bard (inspired from a character I had made up for a short story), went along - and am still playing the same character, in the same campaign, with the same group.

Quite amazing, even though we tend to play only once a month or so and have had some longer breaks.

My Bard has since evolved into a Bard/Paladin (even though 3.5 rules wouldn't allow it) because it suited both the character's personality and the storyline (and because our GM considers rules to be more of guidelines than something set in stone). The campaign has had both its whimsical and dramatic moments, ranging from accidentally created portals and icy axes which get stuck in their wielder's hand to kidnapped orphans and a fantasy equivalent of Hotel California. Due to my usual bad luck with rolls, my character has been mind-controlled, eaten by a plant aberration (which he then sliced open from the inside when I finally managed to roll natural 20) and set on fire three times - amongst other stuff. Thankfully our GM isn't actually that keen on getting our character killed. ^^'

I have also taken part in some one-shot games in cons, but I prefer the long campaign we've been playing because it gives more room for casual chatting and roleplay rather than just dungeoneering and hack 'n slash. I do enjoy creating new characters, though, so it's nice to use con games to try out something different.

4. samkfj

samkfj Bug Powder Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I personally have never been a huge fan of one-shots. Mostly because I like epic adventures. It's wrong to say I don't like them, as I do enjoy them when they happen, but I'd prefer a huge saga.

I also (when I DM) prefer to let the players live. Sure, I'll throw things at them, but it's their own fault if they die. One guy in my group dies all the time; it's a bit of a running gag now--but he does it to himself. Another girl would purposely try to get everyone killed, since she enjoys being chaotic evil and likes to see blood. I also like to inject a lot of my own rules in game. Lots of leeway and experimentation. I suppose, at the end of the day, everyone should be having fun, even if it means allowing a warlock to sport an automatic rifle in medieval settings; just because she wanted it.

But to play the same character from 2008 to now--that's awesome. Even more so that it's with the same group. Here's hoping your Pally-Bard lives to see the end.

kaukusaki and Punamaagi like this.
  5. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I started playing in Highschool, in 2002-2003. The first game I played was a DragonLance game that played with cards instead of dice. It was a bit weird. Anyway. One of my friend's older brothers played a lot of them and that friend I think really liked the idea/concept but wasn't really serious or committed. He was our GM but he used to blow off when the session was halfway through to go get drinks/smoke/sleep or whatever and just name a random player(often me) to pick up for him. We eventually moved on to DnD (it was 3.5 back then). Truthfully our sessions were really goofy and chaotic, we met irregularly and campaigns/characters never really lasted long. At some point I think we were like 8 players (which is totally unmanageable) but there always were at least 2 person missing. Honestly nobody really wanted to GM but I guess I was the most suited for it because I was just more organized.

At some point I grew kind of sick of it. I mean I still liked the game but I was fed up with DnD which felt restraining and add a lot of pointless math (in 3.5 at least) and tables to look up/remember. At some point we discovered White Wolf's system and the game Exalted (1st ed if I remember correctly) and we decided to try to flush the more irregular/chaotic players from the group but it was weird, I think we kind of hurt them, and we didn't really ever play after that.

Anyway that was only a few months before highschool was over I then moved out to go to college in another city and really lost touch with pretty much everyone form highschool. I tried to play a few times in college but I couldn't really find people, or they were much too goofy for the kind of experience I wanted. I remembered that one guy that to play table top RPGs meant getting really high and just doing/saying random stuff, he wasn't even really following the action. Or there was that other guy who kind of played it like you'd play diablo or something. I remember I played a pixie sorcerer in that game and did tricks on all other party members; I filled his purse with horse sh*t and he asked the GM "Is my gold worth any less?", to which the GM said "No" and he then said "Ok I don't care then". We played a bit more of Dnd 3.5 and tried a few sessions of Seven Seas and Vampire: The Masquerade with different combinations of players but yeah it didn't really work out. I still very much like Vampire's setting, though, maybe I'll pick it back up someday.

So yeah my college games were short lived, I eventually left that city to go to university yet elsewhere and got really busy with other stuff, I had kind of given up on this hobby. I knew I liked it but I didn't the time or energy to really try to get a group back together. Until about two years ago, someone on this forum mentionned how he was looking for players for a game on the web and I tried it. It was kind of a weird group because people were coming and going, the GM had a very irregular schedule and was late or even absent all the time and we switched systems every 2-3 sessions because he had just discovered a new one and got super excited for it, but it made me realize I could play over the internet and I could pick up the hobby again.

So during that time I tried a few different Savage Worlds settings but truthfully I don't like the system much, it feels weirdly unbalanced to me. The kind of rock-paper-scissor approach to melee, armor and ranged attacks feels weird and agility fighters aren't really viable in my opinion. I especially remember that sci-fi setting, not sure about the name anymore, but I played this four-armed alien wielding 4 laser-uzis, if you will. I could fire 16 shots per round; I pretty much single-handedly wiped to floor with any encounter in the first round. At level 1. And I wasn't even a one trick poney, I also was an great pilot and a decent mechanic. It was absolutely crazy. We also played a few sessions of Star Wars: Edge of the Empire and a single session of Mutant Year Zero (that particular GM really dug sci-fi).

Anyway I also decided to try DnD 5e, and although it fixed pretty much all I hated about 3.5 I still don't like it. I don't know if I'm just over high fantasy tropes, or I just don't like the class/level system of DnD, or I feel it is too exclusively focused on combat. It's possible to play it in other ways but yeah at it's core DnD evolved from a war game, I think it shows and it's not really what I'm looking for in these kinda games.

And I finally discovered Blades in the Dark and the apocalypse game system. I fell in love with it, hard. I've played with a few groups but it's really un-instinctive to people coming from more traditional systems and most of the GMs I played it did it kinda wrong, in my humble opinion. Also groups for it (or for anything not DnD, really) are very rare so at some point I just decided to go back to GMing. I've been running a Blades campaign for about 8 months now, we're about to conclude it. Next up is a Mutant: Year Zero campaign I plan on starting in about two weeks. Here's the listing on Roll20 if you are interested. :)

6. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I started d&d in middle school. I was gifted the white box set for a Christmas exchange and i played with my sister and our cousins after school.
    Mom found the books too violent and it got tossed so when i started working (at 14) i got second edition. For the next few xmases i got the quest board games (dungeon!, hero quest, dungeon quest, dragon strike) and my family played with me on rainy days.

In high school there was a group that would play at lunch with 3e so i joined them. Sis refused to play anymore once she got gurps and had her own group of friends to roll with.

In college i played 3.5 or pathfinder depending on the group and after graduation and getting a new job i played 4e with my coworkers on weekends. They hated how i played way too randomly for them (they were min/maxers, i rolled up a rando and ran with it, playing an elaborate role. I find playing randos fun. With enough imagination you can pull off creative whacky solutions.)

Since laid off from that i got a new job and the coworkers there play 5e. They liked how i played unlike my last group and called me a breath of fresh air. (well they lucked out i rolled a healer type cleric as they relied on potions lol). I gained a new best friend when the dm found i could calculate Thac0 with a quickness :3 (i had a paper sheet since my phone was busted while the group relied on online tools).

I saved all my d&d characters from past campaigns and make games with them, so obviously my output is heavily influenced by d&d (i dont write strict d20 games - not looking to get sued lol). But that retro feeling is there. I hope my games do well once out of dev hell...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Punamaagi and samkfj like this.