Curious about this tile's jagged edges

Dr_Bonehead

Voice Actor
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe this tile isn't meant to have edges or points like this, but I'm still curious what you all think. I love the ideas of creating cliffs, but these edges just don't look right to me. Am I forced to only create squares or rectangles to try and keep in round? Thoughts?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the RTP is pretty awesome for the most part, but not having angled cliff tiles sucks. It's why I always create an angled edge tile so the world doesn't look so much like top-down view Minecraft.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The small tiny squares that have just one pixel of the cliff are for correcting that I believe.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It was just a different style introduced with RMVX and carried on for each version since then, that allowed you to have all your cliff edges on a single layer, and in these particular engines, forced to the lowest layer. It avoided the problem of "what to put behind it" when you didn't know if it might be ground, water, or more cliffs.

I much prefer the RMXP rounded style. You can still do that with VX/Ace/MV by leaving the top of the cliff autotiles empty, drawing in whatever on your map you want to have show behind it (ground, water, more cliffs, trees, etc), and then putting the rounded cliff edges on the B-E tiles and using one of the upper layers to place it. Gets a bit fiddly though, but if that corner bothers you, it'll give you a much nicer effect.

Dr_Bonehead

Voice Actor
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Gotcha, that's definitely helpful. Thanks!

Dr_Bonehead

Voice Actor
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The small tiny squares that have just one pixel of the cliff are for correcting that I believe.
Oh really? What tile are you referring to?

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They are usually at the bottom close to the cliff. You need to set as the under layer and then the other above it to look a bit better. At least that's how I do it.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think @J-G is thinking about something different. See where you've circled the corners in red in your image? Look at the very next corner immediately below those - they are angled the other way. They are made up of a right edge tile, with an upper edge tile to the lower right. Between them both (below one and to the left of the other) is a tile that is bare ground with a very small bit of cliff in the upper right corner.

These form automatically if you're using autotiles. But if you want to place them manually, there are tiles at the bottom of the A5 sheet that will let you do that.

But the OP is talking about the corners that are circled in red in the screenshot. These are the cliff autotiles. On the lower edge they are nicely rounded, but on the upper edge they are not rounded at all, but form straight corners.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay I see what you mean. Wouldn't it be possible to fix that by making a set that has that small area as transperant?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wouldn't it be possible to fix that by making a set that has that small area as transperant?
This is a lower layer tile - you have no choice. If you made the small area transparent, there would be nothing behind it.

The alternative is as I explained - put the upper cliff edges, with rounded corners and transparency, into the B-E tiles, draw the ground layer first on the lower tile, then the cliff edges from the B-E tiles rather than the A tiles.

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a lower layer tile - you have no choice. If you made the small area transparent, there would be nothing behind it.

The alternative is as I explained - put the upper cliff edges, with rounded corners and transparency, into the B-E tiles, draw the ground layer first on the lower tile, then the cliff edges from the B-E tiles rather than the A tiles.
Makes sense.

Dr_Bonehead

Voice Actor
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got it, that helps a lot. Many thanks to both of you!

Reactions: J-G

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Realizing my earlier maps are an abomination against all things, I'm doing a bit of a remake. Tell me if you can see the difference. :LZSwink:

And the horrific before pics...

Last part of OcRam Obfuscator sneek peaks!
YES! officially released my games soundtrack on Itunes, Spotify, and Amazon..... kinda cool!

Another old age version of Reid. Trying out different style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradzackyle