Curious (Any other punk rock lovers on here?)

samkfj

Bug Powder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Title says it all...

I find myself always wanting to meet/chat with people about all kinds of things--but I always try to find (which is rare) someone else who enjoys any form of punk rock.

I grew up with it, and though I've fallen out of many of the things from my youth--I don't think I'll ever fall out of that.

Anyone else?

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well if you count 'I fought the law' by The Clash (as some do) then yes, I like that song at least. Pretty wide range of musical taste though no specific style or band preference for me

samkfj

Bug Powder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh yeah, I do. Pioneers of the genre. Song has a special place in my heart too.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yeah, there's something about that song that simply does everything right, IMO. Great for driving to :D

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my younger years I listened to NOFX, pennywise, propagandi, good riddance, etc... these days its different though. I will listen to Tiny moving parts or something.

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Well I have no particular love for punk rock but I do like punk ska. I especially like Streetlight Manifesto. Although it's possibly one of the least punk so... Yeah I guess I don't really like punk rock all that much, sorry :p

Red_Blisters

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ohh, man now yer talking my speed.. I remember my parents, back in the day... yelling at me to turn down my music.
I was very fond of the punk bands, such as... Dead Kennedys, Black Flag (which I still have concert T's, Ramones and let not forget the Sex Pistols.
I mean who could ever forget Sid Vicious..
I then progressed into Metal, played in several bands out in Los Angeles in the 80's and was even able to meet quit a few musicians.
Man i miss my younger self.. I swore I would never conform.. yet here I am, older, working for the man and saying 'yes sir'.. my younger self would kick my *** if he saw me now... lol..

good times..

samkfj

Bug Powder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@LaFlibuste Hey Streetlight is great, I can totally dig that. There are actually a lot of great French punk bands! Reminds me--I should search through my record collection. You might actually like Ludwig Von 88 if you haven't heard them before: less punk, more ska/reggae, but their sound is unique as they followed a lot of different scenes.

@Red_Blisters Black Flag concert shirts? Oh man--I envy you. Too bad there's no love button, I would have pressed that in a heartbeat. Black Flag was over the second I was born, wish I could have been around for that. I have a Black Flag tat on my right arm and I met Rollins once during spoken word (nicest guy ever, shared a beer with him--though he had a bottle of mineral water) and I met a few other members around various other meetups. I dunno what it is--the magic of punk rock... it just hits like nothing else can (at least for me.)

Last edited:

Red_Blisters

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Most def.. I was fortunate enough to grow up in the 80's when a lot of good bands where cutting their teeth in the industry. I was able to party with all members of Motley Crue one night out in Hollywood when they were still playing in the local clubs.. From what I remember it was a blast. lol.
I could go on for hours about all the musicians I've met, etc.. I was an aspiring musician in my youth and would answer adds to play in some very (whats a PC word here) uuhhmmm, crazy bands. Them were the days.. Punk Rock iis pretty my the building bloxk of the attitude I grew up with and carried on in life, it never leaves you tbh. :D
What really sucks is hearing you fav band, from your youth, being played on an oldies station... thats when you know the AARP mail is coming.. lmao

LaFlibuste

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
@samkfj Can't say I've ever heard of Ludwig Von 88, I'll definitely look into them!

I was actually rather late to the punk party myself, I was a teen in the late 90s / early 2000s and while most of my peers were all over punk or punk-ska bands I just wasn't diggin' it. It probably wasn't so much because of the music itself as the fact that as a teen I mostly disliked what everybody else liked by default. I was that kind of teen. Anyway I later on grew up to become a trumpet player (although I've changed careers now) and got to play in a few ska bands and rediscovered the whole thing from a new perspective. I don't dislike the raw, aggressive energy of punk every now and then but most punk bands/songs are a bit too simple or barebones to my taste. It's one of the things I like about Streetlight: it allies that raw energy with much more complex arrangements, it is way richer musically and much more interesting to me.

samkfj

Bug Powder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@LaFlibuste I totally agree, though for me--it was the opposite. That everyone I knew was into the popular music, and I found it terrible. I think it was the raw sound of punk/ska that really interested me; to me it was desperation in musical form--knowing that all you needed to send a message was a guitar, and amp and the truth. Never had the chance to see Streetlight--but maybe one day I can. I always wanted to play in a ska band, but maybe it was just bad timing, as out here I never found one looking for a bassist/drummer. Ended up playing in an acid jazz band for a while--very different styles, but another of my favorites.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep, and this is one of my all time favorites:

samkfj

Bug Powder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
omg... I haven't heard this one in a long time. Brings back memories of graduation and starting college.

Thanks for the memories.

@LaFlibuste Probably one of my favorites by Ludwig Von 88

Last edited:

samkfj

Bug Powder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My gamertag (samkfj) comes from a Circle Jerks song :p

SpaceBot

Demon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dk, gogol bordello, agent orange, OP ivy, subhumans, bad religion, bad brains, misfits, minor threat, social distortion, exploited, krum bums, peelander-z, distillers ( though I don't quiet feel they are what I consider true rooted punk, more like pop punk like nofx ), circle jerks, flogging molly, germs, green jelly ( yeah not really punk but hey, they are ****ing hilarious live )

Hmmm I have only slept for 45 minutes in 2 days so I'm starting to loose focus hahaha. But those are a few I enjoy.

SpaceBot

Demon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, now I think I put up a good list of what I like

SpaceBot

Demon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I should back track. I only like 1 of the distillers songs, and not so much because I thought they were good, i just loved her style lol

samkfj

Bug Powder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great list, oh gosh. Brings back so many memories. Thankfully--I still have my Op Ivy records and one surviving Agent Orange one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.
Sand is basically small rocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cieluz