MobileSuitSonic

Mod Magnet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's probably too much for the engine, but in brainstorming how to make dungeon gameplay less redundant, I began to wonder how crossing gaps with a grappling hook could work. Think the mechanics of the hookshot in LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST.

I'm still early in my project, so I want to go ahead and get this out of the way so I don't jump the gun.

BadMinotaur

You can do it!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not sure how close you could get with eventing, but I've done something similar in Ace with scripting.

The basic idea that I worked with is that you check each tile in front of the player, starting with the closest and going out further, for a specific region ID (let's say we chose region 63), up to a maximum distance. If you hit that region ID, you can turn off collision for the player, move them to the spot right before the collision point, and turn collision back on.

Getting the graphics to work correctly is something else; my system was a teleport system, so I didn't have to solve that problem. I hope this explanation helps in some kind of way.

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MobileSuitSonic The system that @BadMinotaur suggested can actually be done with events in MV, just have an invisible event that does the checking for said region (using variables for said even't co-ords and the underused get location info event command). :D

BadMinotaur

You can do it!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Get Location Info is like the unsung hero of cool events.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think Mog Hunter did a hook shot plugin. Might be what you need

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

RPG Maker News #12 | Control Zooming, Customize Bush Effect, Causality & Happy Bones on Steam
Episode 16 let's go! We're making an RPG in RPG Maker MZ! This week... even more mapping, we're almost done with all the mapping for our first dungeon!

I have big news. I just got hired at a Mexican restaurant! They're like Chipotle but a bit different... and my job will be taking orders some days, delivering food other days, and of course, making customers happy. My orientation is on Tuesday. Once I start, I might disappear from here sometimes, but I'll always try to come back!
Batch converting .mp3 to .ogg files is making my computer soooo slow!
When you spend hours working on an optional segment that players will only be in for 2 minutes in a single playthrough. That's the life right there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JuneyBug