thecursedcometh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've decided to make a mechanic in my game where you gain one "Death Coin" (just a placeholder name) when a party member dies. However, if everyone dies, you must reload a save as usual and lose the gained coins. This would encourage the player to play dangerously, getting to the brink of defeat, and coming back with good use of strategy and coordination. However, I don't know how to do this. Can this be done with events, or is a script needed? How would I go about this? I have Yanfly's more currencies plugin, so I can integrate that if it helps.

Edit: Solved!

@Wavelength I'm using base troop events to do what you suggested. Everything's working as intended!

@M.I.A. afaik, setting the base troop event to "battle" scale only allows it to activate once per battle, eliminating the chance for multiple coins from one actor. That being said, I'll allow the player to keep their coin and revive. The coins themselves are just for a special shop.

This has been solved! Thank you everyone so much for the help!

Basically, I set up the base troop events as Wavelength specified. I'm using Yanfly's More Currencies plugin to use a variable as the currency. So when an actor dies, that variable goes up by 1.

Quick Edit: @Wavelength yes, I'll have to add a balancing mechanic. Perhaps once so many turns have passed, you can no longer earn tokens. I'm not sure, I'll have to think about it. Good point. Healing in my game is already taxing, so maybe that will be enough.

Also, I just thought of a name: Crypt O Currency.

Last edited:

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you are using visual encounters, you can easily create this mechanism when you are setting up your events with a common event. If you are using random encounters, you can still set it up as a parallel process to call a common event.

Does that make since? Sorry, I don't know your familiarity with the engine or eventing..
If you want to tweak around with this for a bit, when I have more time, I can come back and help you set it all up. :)

-MIA

thecursedcometh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@M.I.A. Mostly. I'm using visual encounters only. I'm decent with eventing, but have absolutely no JS knowledge. I'll try to set something up. Thanks for the tip!

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Spending the coins could be a bit harder, but gaining the coins for actor deaths would be easy to do using Troop Events.

Just create an event on Turn 0 of every battle that checks whether each actor is alive, and if so, set a switch (called [Actor Name] Token Available) to ON; otherwise set it to OFF.

Then, create an event in every battle for each Actor that runs if their HP is 0% or below (knocked out), with scope Battle. Have that event check whether their Token Available switch is ON, and if so, have the party gain a Token (either as an Item or using Yanfly's Alternate Currency thing).

Pretty easy! You can make it even easier by using a Base Troop Events script, so that you only need to create these events for one Troop instead of for every Troop in your game.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Excellent. It's easier to set up with visual encounters since you control the flow of battle conditions.. life and death itself.. the very fabric.. more power... MORE POWWAARRR!!
... excuse me. Where was I? :p

So I was writing out a huge step by step tutorial... and just decided it would be much easier if I just made this mechanic in a Sample game and attached screenshots. HAHA!!

I will have to do that tomorrow though. If anybody else wants to guide you through this, have at it. There's more than one way to create this effect. If not, I will try to get it done tomorrow when I have a moment.

I actually worked on a similar effect for one of my mini projects. I took inspiration from another game.. Medievel maybe? Either way, they used Death Tokens basically as a "Continue", and when you ran out of Death Tokens, you got the real Game Over. So I implemented a similar system to my mini-project.
If you had a "Death Token" in your possession, you were given the option to restart that battle or Game Over. If you didn't have one, it was straight to Game Over.

All of this is to say, you can do this entirely with eventing. No need for a JS, Plugin, etc. And you can control which battles give X amount of Tokens.. which ones don't.. how many tokens you lose upon dying, etc.

I'll check in tomorrow and see if you've got it straightened out. :)
-MIA

** EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POSTING **
You also will want to work out if an Actor dies in battle.. Gain X amount Tokens, right? Well what if you revive them in that same battle? Does the player then lose that Token? What if they are revived,, and die again? Do they get double Tokens?

I used to play a MMO called City of Heroes.. and the "Glass Cannon" class called Blasters were super squishy but could dish major damage.. the lower their HP got, the more damage they dealt via a buff. Well.. didn't take long for folks to exploit this buff.. and would purposefully stack defenses, items, etc and then bring themselves to 1HP, intentionally, to deal unthinkable DPS. Which encouraged players to go into fights 'living on the edge'. HAHA!! Good times.. it got nerfed very quickly. Lesson to be learned, be watchful of unintended ways to exploit a mechanic.

Last edited:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One other quick thought to share on the idea, at a conceptual level, is that players may intentionally let the last remaining (weak) enemy wail on their party at the end of combat, and then kill it once the party is down to one (hale and hearty) member, in order to gain tokens. That's neither exciting, risky, nor fun, even though the concept of your original idea is exciting and risky. You may need to think through ways to discourage abuse cases like that - for example decreasing the rewards if most of the enemy party is already dead (unless a boss-level enemy is alive), or severely limiting healing (so that using this kind of abuse strategy leaves you wide open in your next battle).

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here’s the quick snap.. (cookies are being made so I’m staying awake HAHA)

This is using a "Death Token" as an Item.. but however you choose to do it is up to you.. the concept is still the same. It's two parts: The Battle event in Troops, which you could copy paste into every eligible battle.. (or all a Common Event), and the second is in the Event of the On Screen Enemy themselves in "Lose" condition.

This isn't a step by step tutorial.. but it can get you in the right direction. :)
-MIA

Attachments

Last edited:

thecursedcometh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength I'm using base troop events to do what you suggested. Everything's working as intended!

@M.I.A. afaik, setting the base troop event to "battle" scale only allows it to activate once per battle, eliminating the chance for multiple coins from one actor. That being said, I'll allow the player to keep their coin and revive. The coins themselves are just for a special shop.

This has been solved! Thank you everyone so much for the help!

Basically, I set up the base troop events as Wavelength specified. I'm using Yanfly's More Currencies plugin to use a variable as the currency. So when an actor dies, that variable goes up by 1.

Quick Edit: @Wavelength yes, I'll have to add a balancing mechanic. Perhaps once so many turns have passed, you can no longer earn tokens. I'm not sure, I'll have to think about it. Good point. Healing in my game is already taxing, so maybe that will be enough.

Also, I just thought of a name: Crypt O Currency.

Edit 2: I think I've figured out the anti-abuse method. Characters that end the fight dead only gain 50% XP. You'll end up severely under leveled if you just end the party with all dead members but one. You start the game with a res spell, so it can be avoided. But that also drains SP, so it's a difficult choice. Really, it's to make the player only want to let their party die if they are low on coins.

Last edited:

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Excellent! If you run into any difficulties, just ask. :)

-MIA

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You gotta love that name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

YES! officially released my games soundtrack on Itunes, Spotify, and Amazon..... kinda cool!

Another old age version of Reid. Trying out different style.
Hey everyone! Not sure how many people know about Cafofo Music on Itch.io, but I highly recommend their Sound Effects! It is amazing quality AND quantity and best of all, they are having a 50% sale! I can't express how much I love sales.
Wow.... My last map GIF got 47 likes, 16 retweet and 2,105 views on Twitter in 24 hours. My game thread here's only got 3k views in 6-7 months. I guess building my Twitter was insanely worth it. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeoValinferno