Custom Animation Lag

TheAlphaRune

Fledgling Indie Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So I made a new animation in the Animations part of the database for a part of a cut scene I'm working on and it lags for the first few seconds before it plays.  There are no frames before the first one to make that happen, and whenever I use any other animation already there, those don't lag.  So apparently I've done something with my animation that is hard for the game to load even though when I test it in the database it plays just fine.  It just lags when I get out onto the map.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to fix this?  It's only 18 frames and consists of two different parts.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It may just be that the image is still loading.  MV doesn't load all its resources at the start of a game, or at the start of a map - it loads them when it needs them.

I think someone made a plugin that forces it to load all resources when the map first loads.

Anime_Fusion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It may just be that the image is still loading.  MV doesn't load all its resources at the start of a game, or at the start of a map - it loads them when it needs them.

I think someone made a plugin that forces it to load all resources when the map first loads.
Shaz, if you figure out what plug in this is, I would love to have it. If I find it, I'll post it here as well.

Anime_Fusion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@ Shaz I will do some testing Shaz. I appreciate it very much!

TheAlphaRune

Fledgling Indie Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Shaz  That plugin didn't work either.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't had a good look at it - maybe it just does the map stuff and not everything. Sorry :(

MikeMakes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Is there a way MV could preload battle resources quicker or would an update or plugin be necessary?

JJ Sonick

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
In the thread about the Preload manager plugin, Galenmereth says he's working on expanding the plugin to allow the pre-loading of entire asset folders instead of just map assets, which presumably could help with this issue by allowing preloading of animation images, but there's some tricky issues to be worked out for the folder loading first. 

Last edited by a moderator:

zharth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So apparently I've done something with my animation that is hard for the game to load even though when I test it in the database it plays just fine.

Have you, by any chance, used the Hue slider to change the hue of whatever Animation image(s) you're using for the animation that's giving you problems? Because I had the same problem as you with a particular custom animation I'd created. The Preload Manager didn't fix it. Then I came across this discussion, and I noted that none of my other animations (including some other custom ones) were stalling. So eventually I figured that it might be because I changed the hue of the image (to make a lightning strike appear purple instead of yellow), and after I did a few tests, I confirmed that, indeed, changing the hue of an image used in an animation is enough to cause any animation to lag (but only the first time it plays - every other time is fine). I did a workaround by changing the hue of the image in Photoshop and then adding it as a separate file so I could use it without touching RPG Maker's hue slider, and now it's running fine, with no lag at all. It's pretty crappy that such a workaround is necessary in the first place (that's MV for you...), but at least I've got it working satisfactorily now!

Tyrael79

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Have you, by any chance, used the Hue slider to change the hue of whatever Animation image(s) you're using for the animation that's giving you problems? Because I had the same problem as you with a particular custom animation I'd created. The Preload Manager didn't fix it. Then I came across this discussion, and I noted that none of my other animations (including some other custom ones) were stalling. So eventually I figured that it might be because I changed the hue of the image (to make a lightning strike appear purple instead of yellow), and after I did a few tests, I confirmed that, indeed, changing the hue of an image used in an animation is enough to cause any animation to lag (but only the first time it plays - every other time is fine). I did a workaround by changing the hue of the image in Photoshop and then adding it as a separate file so I could use it without touching RPG Maker's hue slider, and now it's running fine, with no lag at all. It's pretty crappy that such a workaround is necessary in the first place (that's MV for you...), but at least I've got it working satisfactorily now!

Great thanks! I might try this to see if it helps, my game is lagging so badly when I used animations on android devices that the people I have testing are getting annoyed and hardly doing any testing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I really need to stop thinking there are new freebies just because someone made a new post in the freebies subforum lol.
AND just like that..... I got STEAM DLC up and working! YES!
Game making is like a marathon, except the last 1/4 is more like sprint... a very long and intense sprint.
Finally got to finish the demo for my project!
Another week has gone by. Maybe you made changes to your project/s. Maybe you didn't. Nonetheless, THAT IS NO EXCUSE TO NOT BACK THEM UP O_O!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paitshens