Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello everyone,

As I'm finally going for my first game (Cupidi Arx), I was thinking to chose between the original/classic battle system from the engine itself or try and make one myself.

Turns out, I'm not a good scripter, so the challenge was to use events and common events only.

I made it to have a working prototype.

I'd like to know.
In your opinion, is it worth the efforts?
Or do you think the outcome is "too minimalist"

(Of course, there is alot of text for testing purpose, that will go away afterwards :D)

I haven't worked on items and/or skills yet, but let's keep it challenging for now. ^^

Last edited:

Zerothedarklord

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this seems very much like an extremely text heavy and unnecessary version of the regular turn based battle system.
I'd be curious to hear your ideas for what else you have in mind for it going forward, but if this is any significant indicator, I say abandon it immediately and just use the basic turn based one.

Is there something in particular you're going for? or did you just want to make things unnecessarily complex, and more work for yourself?

h0tWalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
He said that most of the text is there for testing purposes and will be removed. That aside, I feel like using the standard side view battle is much more efficient than the current one here. Much better flow, as your using text your using a ton of unnecessary variables, and if the health of enemies are also controlled by this, takes up even more, which is automated by the default combat systems.

What is the general scope and end goal of the battle system? As far as I can tell by the video, as there is no explanation to what the end goal is, it seems like a replica of the already built-in system. Video alone didn't really touch on this, which makes me agree with @Zerothedarklord to drop it, unless there is something specific you want to achieve, and if it's a small feature, might be better to post a request in the right forum for it.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

Moving to Game Ideas and Prototypes.

General Discussion isn't meant for project-specific threads.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah... I'm not really understanding the point of this battle system very well, either...

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
While this seems like an interesting learning experience, it doesn't appear to differ much from the default battle system mechanically. Unless there's something really unique you want to achieve here, it might not be worth the trouble. Custom battle systems require a lot of work and the time and effort spent on them is time and effort that could be spent on other aspects of your game. Think about it through the lens of a cost-benefit analysis. Weigh the costs of implementing your evented battle system vs the perceived benefit your game will gain from it. If you think it's worth it to the intended target audience of your game, by all means, go for it.

For instance, if you're making the game primarily for yourself, for you to play it, and you think your custom battle system would be really awesome, do it. If you're making your game for a wider audience, examine it from their perspective and try to figure out if they would like it better than the standard battle system and like it better enough that it's worth the effort that you'll have to put into it. Then you'll have your answer.

I made a game which has a custom battle system. You run around the map and shoot projectiles at on-map enemies and they either try to touch you or some fire back. It was difficult to pull off but I didn't really care. I largely just wanted to see if I could pull it off and how well it would turn out. The target audience was mostly myself. I was happy with the result.

Artille

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
[mod]Moving to Game Ideas and Prototypes.[/mod]
General Discussion isn't meant for project-specific threads.
I'm sorry, I thought it was random enough for a general discussion.
I'll be more careful next time. :)

@Frogboy Thanks for your reply, I indeed thought it would be better for the wider audiance aswell as being a good experience for me.
The idea is to have an UI based "pocket version" of the battle system.

As for the objectives, there are 3.
Firstly, I'm a bad scripter, meaning I'm doing things the hard way with events and variables/switches.
I know lines of codes can do the same seemingly effortless, but I just can't do it.
So the main goal here is for me to learn and improve the way I create things and perhaps get something good out of it.

The second objective is to change the battle system in a more UI based way.
The main battle system looks more like a text/animation based one and for me, it's very hard to interact with UI elements. So with this system I have full control over what to display, where and when.

The third objective is to kinda make custom functions.
Like I'd like one particular place to have a successive battle, like a colloseum, spawning several ennemies in a row. (If battleType = A, set individual ennemy, if battleType = B, set colleseum mode and spawn 5 ennemies in a row)
Or give the player the possibility to, for example, set up their own auto fight pattern (If ennemy = TypeA, set auto pattern A, if ennemy = TypeB, set auto pattern B, etc...)

Overall, it's experimental, but it's nice to see some external advice. :)

Artille

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

I made some updates to it, included a basic hud and an improved UI.
Deleted the text based action and replaced it with HUD updates.

As of now I'm using 24 common events, 38 variables and 13 switches.
So, seeing the limits are 2000 common events and 5000 variables/switches I'm using about 0.2 to 1% of it.

Anyhow, I think I'll keep on working on this, even if it becomes useless or obsolete by better systems, it's still a nice exercice and an interesting experience.

I'm sure most of you guys can do this with javascript, but it's nice to see RPG Maker made it possible for non-programmers to actually achieve something. :D

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I realized that I don't talk about my game's plot too much. not that I'm hiding stuff, I just don't know what I should tell people in general that would be important. I know more so what plot points NOT to tell.
Have any of you read Sutter Kane?
jaynightwolf wrote on GalacticGod's profile.
hello GALACTICGOD I loved your characters especially the super heroes, I am new to this rpg program and I would like to know if you have more characters from DC comics, be they villains or heroes
My winter pack is now free on itch.io!
Writing music for Utara Forest, a location in All the King's Men. Nothing evokes a mysterious, dreamy sound like solo clarinet and modulation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YoSocrates