Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi guys!

It's about custom character sheets. I know there are quite a few posts about this topic, but I couldn't find a satisfying answer for me. I want to use custom, non-animated player characters. Therefor I edited a RPG Actor sheet with GIMP in the following way:

Actor1_selfmade.png

In the upper left part I inserted the custom character 12 times. Doing like this works proper, without animation, but that's ok. But it's kind of stupid work putting each sprite 12 times.

So, I want to ask:

1) Is there a way to put a collection of non-animated player chars in this file without puting each sprite 12 times?
2) How to put only one sprite per file? I know that in this case I have to put the $ before the filename, but which dimensions should the sprite have? I tried a bit but didn't get it.

Thanks for your help!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are no fixed pixel numbers in sprites, the important part is the sprites structure.

All sprites always consist of 3*4 cells, either alone or in a sheet of 4*2 sprites like above.
All cells always have to have the same size, but which size that is is not important.

If your cell has a size of 30*20 Pixels, then the single sprite picture with a $ would habe a sie of 90*80 Pixels.
The default cell size is 32*32 for ace.

freebooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I already read about this. Following this I created character graphics in the size of 96 (32*3) to 128 (32*4). Setting a $ before the filename.
It looks like this:

!Actor1_VERSUCH.png

But it doesn't work in the game. The character graphic now shows only a small part of the sprite; means 32*32 pixel of the char-graphic which has now 96*128 pixel ...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It can not work, because it is the wrong structure.
Each cell needs to contain one element of the sprites, and the sprites needs 3*4 cells.

Your picture has 4*2 cells instead of 3*4 cells.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[move]Resource Support[/move]

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since the character is static you can put a different one in each row. You'd still need to duplicate them for the column or turn off the stepping animation, but it's easier and you can have more per sheet. This means that a single character setup would contain 4 total sprites.

If you're doing individual sprites the setup is exactly the same as the one with 8 sprites, only cropped down to show one character. You flipped the requirements around and used the multiple character format with only one cel instead of the full number of cels but only one character that it needs to be.

Another possible way to do it is to use one of the B-E sheets. RM can place the tiles as events, meaning you don't have to duplicate anything.

BTW, which engine are you using? That does make a difference with some of this stuff.

Last edited:

freebooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks to Sharm and Andar, but this doesnt work for me. Seems like I'm missing some crucial information ...

Could you maybe draw a picture like how the graphic of the fighter has to be arranged and in which dimensions.
I tried it like this:

FFF
FFF
FFF
FFF

But it didnt work.

I'm using RPG Maker VX Ace, the graphic of the fighter is 32*32. It would like to fill the standard sprite sheet (Actor1) with as many as possible of custom sprites (no animation)

Thanks.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As your custom sprites are 32 x 32, perhaps the simplest way of getting the dimensions etc correct would be to take any of the default character sprite sheets, rename it, delete everything on it and put in your own images. Just make sure that each character occupies 3 columns and 4 rows in the same way as the characters you deleted.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's the correct arrangement. If it didn't work either you've named it incorrectly (single characters needs the $ in front) or you don't have the same frame size in all the cells.

The thing I was talking about for adding in more characters is that since you don't need them to walk you could do it like this:

AAA
BBB
CCC
DDD

You could even do the same across an entire character sheet:

AAABBBCCCDDD
EEEFFFGGGHHH
JJJLLLMMMNNN
OOOPPPQQQRRR
SSSTTTUUUVVV
WWWXXXYYYZZZ

Though I really think doing it as a tile sheet instead of a sprite sheet is the way to go here. You don't need the animation, and this character is the same size as the tiles, right? Doing it as a character would add to your file size unnecessarily.

Mlogan's link is very good, I recommend reading it. The help file that comes with the engine is very good too, you should check it out if you haven't.

freebooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks all for your advice. As I finally decided for minimal animation (looking left and right) I just filled up the default char sprite sheets with the custom chars - and it worked!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I feel that I should cut down on my order queue so I can get some more time for my projects, its been quite a longggg while since I worked on them LOL
I friend of mine insisted on practicing dubbing things with him... and its quite funny, yet, it really takes a huge amount of practice!
Gotta save this for my next thread later...
Finsh all of the walking dead game in a week, such an amazing emotional trip
I really need to stop sidetracking sometimes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waybinary