Custom Clothing and tiles

Umpikuja

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My eyes and head are going to hate me for this, but I have some questions about doing this. I am sure its all somewhere, but I am swimming in it with all the different versions of rpg and I am a fresh beginner.

I don't need a plugin, I don't think. I just need to know what file type the game is going to look for and where to take to replace from. Say, would I take a bathing suit sprite sheet .png from the software, put it in photoshop and build my clothing on a separate layer? And then what?

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All graphics can be replaced and made custom, even the size is no issue. But first we need to clarify what you mean with your question; do you want the player to be able to change his clothes in-game, like a layer system to mix and match outfits, or are you looking for a way to add your own custom sprites to the game?

Umpikuja

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
for now I just want to create the charatcer with different clothing than what comes with MV. The other is not necessary, at least for now.

YoraeRasante

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, the best option is to get the character "nude". There is a character generator in the program, if you want to use the standard style, you can make/remake the character you want there - sans clothes if you want to create an original one - and use it as a base to create yours...

Or you can do what I do and use another style.

But by your question I guess you are new at this?

The important parts:

• character sheets must come with either one character, in which case you need to put a $ in front of the name, or up to 8 in one set, in which case the empty areas need to be left there but blank (but nothing stups you adding to it later).
  • Each character can be any (reasonable) size, as long as all twelve parts, separated in three for animation horizontally (not-animating tipically in the center) and four for sides vertically, are the same size - thus why it is popular for sets to be made not with characters, but with items to decorate, just put an ! in front of the name so it fits with the scenery (usually they are a bit above)
  • You can combine them too, !$ for one set of items

Besides that? They have to be png... Save them in the "C:\Users\User\Documents\Games\projectName\img\characters" and... that's all the tips I could think about. Sorry, any more specific questions?

Umpikuja

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, I am new. So I am assimilating all this at once. But I have an idea for a game and want to go ahead and make graphical edits as I go and learn. @Waterguy, what you suggest is what I am aiming at but running into issues. If I put my nude character in Sketchbook, the image is blurred and I can't seem to draw by the pixel. So I went to Game Character Hub and converted my nude character to XP, which seemed to be the only one that worked, after switching XP to 48 X 48. I am guessing though that there is some resolution issues. So I want to sort that out before spending a lot of hours. Here is what I have so far. For the first chapter of my Story / Game I want the kids younger and wear basic play clothes. So working on a basic jeans and t-shirt, keeping each clothing item on its own layer. I realize now I will have to make edits for hair if I put it on another character.

PixelEditExample01.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The new intro Logo for my videos.
The workweek is now over. Now I can work on my GamZzzzzZzzzzZzzzZzzZz....
Just watched Onward with the family. One of the best movies I've ever seen. <3
2 hours & 20 minutes remaining. :D
...trying to hurry finish up all commissions before I never put the controller down again ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ali_J_101