Custom Death States

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

In RPGMaker MV, the default death state is the first state in your database. When this state is applied, a battler (enemy or actor) is considered to be dead.

During battle, when all enemies have the death state applied, the actors are victorious. When all actors have the death state applied, they will be defeated.
Outside of battle, if all actors have the death state applied, game over.

But what happens if you wanted other states to be considered death states? For example, if all actors are petrified, then the game ends. Or if all actors fall asleep, then the game ends.

This plugin allows you to designate additional states as “death” states. Unlike the normal death state, actors won’t lose all HP/MP, but they will still be considered dead.

More information and downloads are available at HimeWorks
Other state-related plugins you may be interested in:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiroi Akuma

Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
More realism for games, huh? I like this thought, it brought me a new idea.  :)

Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
This could be useful. I remember RPGs other than Final Fantasy considering the character to be "dead" if it was afflicted with a status that renders them completely helpless like Petrified, Frozen and the like.

It's better that than slowly having to watch enemies to kill your party, or to increase the threat level of enemies overall.

Nohmaan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This would pair really well with a booster script that allows a state to change an actor's hue, saturation, etc.  If petrified, could set the saturation all the way to greyscale.  Or some sort of shadowbind state where your characters are all black.  Etc.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This would pair really well with a booster script that allows a state to change an actor's hue, saturation, etc.  If petrified, could set the saturation all the way to greyscale.  Or some sort of shadowbind state where your characters are all black.  Etc.
Yes, I'm actually working on a plugin that would provide that kind of functionality for states.

However, I don't think it should just be a simple color change, as it wouldn't be realistic.

Well, it would be easier for testing I suppose.

Hoppy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This would be great for my deep sleep status as it is uncurable except by a couple of skills and the battle ending, if everyone fell into deep sleep, it could be considered death.

Nohmaan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, I'm actually working on a plugin that would provide that kind of functionality for states.

However, I don't think it should just be a simple color change, as it wouldn't be realistic.

Well, it would be easier for testing I suppose.
Yeah, I only mention that as an option because it has a lot of out-of-the-box function for people who don't do a lot of sprite work or might want something as simple as 'poison makes my guy look kinda green'.  Ha, or a 'Hulk' status effect.

Rexxon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh, wow. One of the big plug-ins I was hoping to see in RPG Maker MV.

Thank you so much for this. It will be very useful. :D

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yeah, I only mention that as an option because it has a lot of out-of-the-box function for people who don't do a lot of sprite work or might want something as simple as 'poison makes my guy look kinda green'.  Ha, or a 'Hulk' status effect.
You're right, it's probably good enough to specify hue change.

I will take that into consideration.

Oh, wow. One of the big plug-ins I was hoping to see in RPG Maker MV.

Thank you so much for this. It will be very useful. :D
Thanks!

Do you have any other stuff you'd like to see in MV?

Blithe

The One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice script. I've been looking for a plugin like this to emulate the one I used in VX Ace. One anomaly I'm seeing when I use the script is that when my SV actors are hit by the custom death state, they fall over dead even though I have the SV Motion for the state set to Abnormal. I placed this plugin at the bottom of my plugin list to make sure no others interfere with it's function. Do I need another one of your state plugins to make that not happen?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Nice script. I've been looking for a plugin like this to emulate the one I used in VX Ace. One anomaly I'm seeing when I use the script is that when my SV actors are hit by the custom death state, they fall over dead even though I have the SV Motion for the state set to Abnormal. I placed this plugin at the bottom of my plugin list to make sure no others interfere with it's function. Do I need another one of your state plugins to make that not happen?
Can you try disabling all of the other plugins and seeing what happens with the custom death state?

I have created a new state, tagged it with custom death state, and my actor was still alive and punching enemies even though it was considered dead.

It is possible that you may have a plugin that assumes if the actor is considered dead, then the dead motion should be used regardless of the state's motion settings.

Blithe

The One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you try disabling all of the other plugins and seeing what happens with the custom death state?

I have created a new state, tagged it with custom death state, and my actor was still alive and punching enemies even though it was considered dead.

It is possible that you may have a plugin that assumes if the actor is considered dead, then the dead motion should be used regardless of the state's motion settings.
Yep, some other plugin is causing the problem. I turned all of them off minus this one and it now behaves as expected. I will begin the process of turning them back on one by one to see which one is causing the conflict. 

Thanks for looking into it though.

*Update*  - So it looks like it's the Yanfly Battle Engine Core that's causing the issue. With the Battle Engine Core enabled and the action sequence add-ons for it still turned off, my SV characters started going into the dead SV Motion when the custom death state was applied. Oddly enough, they go into the dead pose and then a few seconds later they pop up and assume the abnormal pose like they're supposed to (Assuming there's another character on screen who is still alive). If all actors fall to the custom death state then the last one down stays in the dead pose but that's probably because the battle processing stops once everyone is dead (just my wild guess I haven't actually looked at any code).

I'm going to play around with re-positioning the plugins to see if I can get it to work without changing code. I really want to be able to use these 2 plugins together. 

firestalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep, some other plugin is causing the problem. I turned all of them off minus this one and it now behaves as expected. I will begin the process of turning them back on one by one to see which one is causing the conflict. 

Thanks for looking into it though.

*Update*  - So it looks like it's the Yanfly Battle Engine Core that's causing the issue. With the Battle Engine Core enabled and the action sequence add-ons for it still turned off, my SV characters started going into the dead SV Motion when the custom death state was applied. Oddly enough, they go into the dead pose and then a few seconds later they pop up and assume the abnormal pose like they're supposed to (Assuming there's another character on screen who is still alive). If all actors fall to the custom death state then the last one down stays in the dead pose but that's probably because the battle processing stops once everyone is dead (just my wild guess I haven't actually looked at any code).

I'm going to play around with re-positioning the plugins to see if I can get it to work without changing code. I really want to be able to use these 2 plugins together. 

I'm going to assume that you have gotten this fixed or just gave up....  Either way, I'm having the same problem.  Is there a patch, maybe?

Blithe

The One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to assume that you have gotten this fixed or just gave up....  Either way, I'm having the same problem.  Is there a patch, maybe?
I gave up. As far as I know there's no patch to fix this. The battle engine core plugin forces a collapse animation for any state that says your dead. I have yet to find a way to thwart it from doing so unfortunately.

firestalker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I gave up. As far as I know there's no patch to fix this. The battle engine core plugin forces a collapse animation for any state that says your dead. I have yet to find a way to thwart it from doing so unfortunately.
Well, that just sucks...  I would love for this to work.  Maybe one day I'll find the time to learn JS and fix up a patch...  until then though.... :(

EDIT:  Okay, I'm giving myself a headache reading all these JS Tutorials and Descriptions of Methods and Functions and all everything.....  Ugh....

EDIT:  I found that Yanfly made a State Category Plugin that has this functionality in it...

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
If yanfly has a plugin that does the same thing, but is compatible for all of his plugins, I would recommend using that.

There are likely more issues that I don't consider because I don't work exclusively with yanfly's plugins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

40 card deck size, the plugin seems more sluggish.
Village theme I composed for a commission!
Stream will be live shortly with some Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!
welp, the stock market went down by 7% because of corona today. Time to buy stocks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnusualCorn