Not open for further replies.

jackyccm

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi,

I am working on a game and decided very early on to use two specific fonts, one for the title and another for the rest of the game. I got these fonts from dafont.com. Now everything works fine on my end, but when I compress the data and send it out to a friend, the game switches to another font (does not look like default font to me) and that makes most of my dialogues go out the dialogue box (or disappear into).

I was under the impression that when the software compresses the data, the fonts kept within the game folder will be included, and when you install the game in another machine via the executable file, the font will be installed as well. Is there something I am doing wrong or is my friend's PC the cause of this problem? After all, his PC was also unable to run a portion of the game that works well with my PC.

Thanks for the help.

Jacky.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Were the fonts included in a Fonts directory inside your projects ?

jackyccm

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes they were.

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Are you using a message script? I know some message scripts (like Yanfly's) will switch to a different font if the font the game uses is not installed. There's a configuration section at the beginning where you'd change that.

Another thing your friend can try is to manually install the fonts in the font folder. :)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
or maybe you actually set the folder to Font instead of Fonts... or your friend's comp might have a problem since as you said, there's a part in your game that doesn't work with him while it works in your comp...

try it out into another computer/s and see if they all experience these problems

Last edited by a moderator:

jackyccm

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I found the problem is that by creating the EXE using Compress Game Data, it doesn't install the fonts when extracting and installing the RTP.

Is there a way to create my own EXE by using other installer programs like Inno Setup? That way I can install the fonts before installing the game and hide all those folders and create a desktop icon all in one go.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, just follow the instructions for inno setup.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
though  you don't really need to install the fonts if you put them inside the Fonts folder of your game...

jackyccm

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Instead of using Inno Setup, I used Advanced Installer instead. Yes, it worked, if you have administrator permission to install into the Fonts folder.

However, the installation process is a bit messy so I am still trying to iron out the kinks. Will update here so to help other who might face the same problem in the future.

On a related note, I mentioned earlier that one of my friend's PC hangs at a certain point of my game. Now another tester faces the exact same problem. I have tested the game both within RPGMVXA during development as well as on aother laptop I own using the same install files as the ones my friends downloaded, and I got through that area fine. It's supposed to be an autorun cutscene where the characters move from one area to another. I am genuinely stumped, and a little frustrated...

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
IDK if ur reading my posts or not... in RPG Maker VX Ace, you don't need to install fonts... you just need to put the font inside the Fonts folder of your game before you pack the game so that it's included in the extraction... after that, even without installing the font, it should already work...

that way, you don't need to go thru all the work of thinking how to auto-install the font... because it's not really required... 

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I was under the impression that when the software compresses the data, the fonts kept within the game folder will be included, and when you install the game in another machine via the executable file, the font will be installed as well.
The font does not need to be "installed" in order to be used.

If you create a folder in your game project called "Fonts" and place your ttf, it will automatically be packed up when you compress your project.

jackyccm

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I tried, and my friends tried, and ALL of the computers will not show that font unless it is installed first.

In fact, this is one of the first basic rules in Microsoft Windows. Fonts cannot work unless they are first installed/registered into Windows.

Also, decompressing the game data of your project (even when packaged with the RTP) does NOT install anything into a computer. It just extracts your game data and put them into a chosen location. Hence, packing your fonts together in the game folder will not make that font work without prior installation. To prove this, you can go to dafont.com and just download any font that you do not have, and have not registered in your PC. Put that font into your game folder, and then try to use that font in your game. I can bet you it won't work. After, you can double click to open that font, there is a small 'Install Font' button at the top left. Click that. Then go back to your game. You will see that the font now works. It's magic!  :D  

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
You're probably doing something wrong.

I ran your test and didn't have to install it to get it to work.

1. Download from http://www.dafont.com/diane-de-france.font

2. Create a "Fonts" folder in your game project and place the ttf inside

3. In your Main script, above rgss_main, type

Font.default_name = ["Diane de France"]4. Run and it works fineThe help file, under Fonts, says

If there is a "Fonts" folder directly under the game folder, the font files in it can be used even if they are not installed on the system.
There is no rule that a font must be installed in order for the computer to use it.

Maybe that's what technical support at microsoft tells everyone cause it's the easiest way to solve your problems, but developers don't need to follow it if they know how to load fonts themselves. There's probably some API that allows people to let windows do all the font handling for them, and that's why they give misleading messages like "Fonts must be installed to use… "

In fact, this is one of the first basic rules in Microsoft Windows. Fonts cannot work unless they are first installed/registered into Windows.
Microsoft's support docs, at least, does not seem to say "you must install fonts"

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also, adding to Tsukihime's post above citing EB actually telling about this method, I have personally tested it and also suggested it to the maker of the game Magi chronicles (because they were forced to put a how to install font in their game and wanted to know if it's possible to not do the install) at it also works... 

It's either you're doing something wrong, or your computer is doing something wrong...

Also, in my experience in IT, fonts only need to be installed if you want to use it on programs that only load fonts from the Fonts folder of your windows (like MS Office apps)

Put that font into your game folder, and then try to use that font in your game. I can bet you it won't work.
Of course it won't coz you put it into your Game Folder, not your game's Fonts folder...

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I didn't even notice that, because I assumed he created a Fonts folder after all this time.

I should probably read the whole thing instead of just skimming it.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I only noticed it after about 3 times of rereading his whole post... XD

It's pretty normal, wrong folder name was the problem before with Magi (the maker named it Font instead of Fonts)

jackyccm

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Tsukihime

Yes, I did everything exactly like you said. To the letter.

@adiktuzmiko

No, I didn't mean the Game Folder. I meant the Fonts folder. Tsukihime's assumption was right. Sorry I didn't clarify. However, I did notice something that MIGHT be the problem. Within the Fonts folder, the fonts that I am using are inside folders of their own. So it's RPGVXAce>GameNameFolder>Fonts>FontNameFolder>TTF files. Could this be the reason why the bloody thing is not working?

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mmhmm ... the fonts need to be directly in the 'Fonts' folder, not in sub-folders.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPGVXAce>GameNameFolder>Fonts>TTF files

AND you've got to modify the script to use the font, and make sure you use the correct name there (it is NOT the name of the file that you use).

jackyccm

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
*Facepalm*

I am such a stupid @#$%$#&^&%*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Majestyyummy