Custom Game Over behavior

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by McKathlin, Jan 16, 2016.

1. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for this McKathlin, really helpful with my current game. 

2. McKathlin

McKathlin Plugin dev, composer, artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

It's finally ready!  Please excuse the delay; I had some other projects eating me alive.

Development version 1.3 has a "Party Death Common Event" parameter, which allows you to run a common event right after party death, before or instead of the transition to the Game Over scene. The "Game Over Common Event" parameter has been renamed to "After Game Over Common Event" to disambiguate, so if you're updating from an older version of Kath_GameOver.js, please make sure to set your "After Game Over Common Event".

Please let me know how Version 1.3 works out for you. I've tested it thoroughly, but having other people test it with their projects on their machines really helps!  Once I work out any bugs reported by others, and confirm that this version is working well for those who use it, then I'll make it the official stable version. 

lawina likes this.
  3. McKathlin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I've tested Kath_GameOver.js Version 1.3 on several different projects and computers, and found it to work as intended. As such I have updated the stable version to Version 1.3. Again, the "Game Over Common Event" parameter has been renamed to "After Game Over Common Event" for this latest version, so if you're updating from an older version of Kath_GameOver.js, please make sure to set your "After Game Over Common Event". Please see the original post for complete details. Thank you for your support!

4. AmateurX

AmateurX Warper Member

First Language:
    Chinese
    Party Death Common Event
    add " Show Choices" at "Abort Battle" back , but " Show Choices" no show. (Placed in front is normal)

[​IMG]

Code:

i wanna  if  GameOver
          $game_temp.battle_can_lose = true
          battle_end(1)
          $game_temp.gameover = false
          # stop BGM、BGS
          $game_system.bgm_play(nil)
          $game_system.bgs_play(nil)

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  5. McKathlin

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hi AmateurX,

I'm sorry I'm replying to you so late! I was away from game and plugin development for a long time.

If I'm understanding correctly, this is what you want to have happen when the party dies:
    1. The Game Over screen does not show.
    2. The screen fades to black. There is no background music or sound.
    3. Show some choices to the player.
    4. The game's next action depends on what the player chooses.
    Is that correct?

I've tested what you're trying to do. I set the plugin parameters like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I wrote the After Game Over Common Event like this:
    [​IMG]

I've found that my setup works. I hope that looking at it helps you see what to do. Of course, your common event can say and do different things, but this is the basic idea.

Please let me know if you need anything else!

6. albert-youkai

albert-youkai Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    that will be good for make a dark souls like gameover
    (die = lost all money)

7. ethervagabond

ethervagabond Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, great plugin! However I'm having an issue. What I'm trying to do is, whenever the party dies, and the fight ends, go directly into fighting a certain enemy, and then if the party dies to THAT enemy, THEN it goes to a game over. So I put the game over call in my common event on the condition the party loses. However instead of going to game over, it restarts the event and it's just an endless loop of fighting the second enemy. That's if the event is set as a after Game over common event. If it's set as a Party Death Common Event, the party just recovers all (first command in the CE) and continue to fight the same, first monster. Anyone know how to make this work?

EDIT: Okay, I actually solved this by setting the game over screen to false, having the event display a picture of a game over screen, and then using the event to call the Title Screen directly. I know no one asked lol, but just in case someone else comes along looking for this kind of solution, here is a ss of the event:

after death ce.png

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019