Custom lighting for Yami's overlay script?

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by shieldings, Jun 10, 2016.

1. shieldings

shieldings Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello!  I'd like to make some custom lighting to put into my overlay folder.  However, I'm not sure what the specifications are.  I know they have to be jpegs, but I have no idea what else to do.  Am I allowed to tint it, or does it have to be black and white like the default?  Should I size it to match up with my maps, or should I make it repeatable?  Jpegs don't really include translucency (as far as I know...  I've never really done much work with them, I'm used to PNGs).  How do I signify how intense I want the light to be?

Thank you! :)

(PS: here's the default lighting from Yami's demo, to give you an example of what I'm talking about)

light1-1.png  

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  2. Dark_Metamorphosis

Dark_Metamorphosis What a horrible night to have a curse. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    As for using the overlay script, I think that it will be fixed to the map if you name the filename according to the script, so I think you just need to have the correct resoloution of the map in order for it to stick properly. As for intensity I'm not entirerly sure, I think you can just intensify it if you use it with a show picture command but I could be wrong here. I have never had the need to intensify the light when using his overlay script though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  3. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can color it however you want.

The light overlay (and only that one!) will use the "addition" blend mode.

This means that whatever colors you used on your image will be added to any images on the screen below it (added, as in the images will merge their RGBA values).

I don't think I can actually explain this in an understandable way, if you never worked with blend modes, chances are, you won't be able to imagine the effect it will have.

The shadow overlay does the opposite, it's blending mode is set to "subtraction".

Just experiment with them, use different colors and you will see the difference between them.

Generally, the brighter colors you use, the more visible your light will be (by brighter, I don't mean "more white", I mean higher RGB values, like a high red value gives more red blending, and such).

And yeah, they are fixed overlays, so you will need to make them the same size as the map it is associated to, that way it will scroll with the map.

They work the same way as your non-looping maps. No idea what happens when you actually make a looping map though. I suspect it will have to be a real parallax which can be looped if it even shows up normally that way.

4. shieldings

shieldings Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thank you so much!  I know how blend modes work (I do a lot of digital art stuff).  I don't really do looping maps, so that's not a problem.  You've saved my butt, yay!