Moksock

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, I'm posting this because ive had no luck in my search so far and so I've decided to ask the community for help.

I'm trying to find a tutorial on how to make a custom Main Menu page that can replace the default MV Main Menu, but i would like to do this "-WITHOUT-" plugins.

any help is welcome thank you.

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're gonna have to give more information about what you're actually trying to do and have in said custom menu for anyone to be able to tell you if you can do what you want without plugins.

Moksock

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My apologies. ill post a picture of my idea of the main menu i want to build and implement into MV

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Without plug-ins? The only way is to event your own menu system. Other than that it is impossible as you can't edit the base code (which the menu system uses) without a plug-in.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You'll have to event that with show pictures and very creative use of the events. Or use a plug-in. Those are the choices.

Moksock

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so theres no way i can javascript to change it? dang i was hoping to avoid using plugins.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Galv has a plug-in for column menu

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Javascript IS using a plug-in. The difference is it is one you coded. You said without plug-ins, which also means you aren't coding at all. So if you want to be able to code it you should state that, else everyone will assume you want to event it.

I've moved this thread to Learning Javascript. Thank you.

KoalaFrenzy

Eucalyptus Salad. Every day.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so theres no way i can javascript to change it? dang i was hoping to avoid using plugins.
Within an event, probably, but as plugins are just javascript scripts, you'd essentially be writing a plugin within the event...
I'm kind of unsure why you'd go this route, other than just wanting to practice.

LastEspresso

Wielder of the AeroPress
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've played around with doing this a lot. This really would need a full-out tutorial for all the trouble it is to get it just right, but the basic framework looks like this:

1. Create an autorun event at the start of your game that disables default menu access.

2. Create a map of your desired menu screen with walkable paths to select events on the screen.

3. Create a common event to record the player's current map location and current character icon in variables. Replace the player icon with a menu icon (like an arrow or whatnot).

4. Keep a parallel event running that opens your menu common event (which will be the aforementioned transfer player to the menu map after recording their current map location) bound to a conditional branch like: if [Shift] is pressed run Menu Open common event AND turn on switch Menu Open.

5. When Menu Open switch is on you should have another conditional branch that uses the recorded coordinates to transfer the player back to their starting location and resets their player icon and turn the Menu Open switch to off when shift is pressed.

I'll revise and make this more readable later if you want. The point is, it IS possible, just a bunch of work to get right.

Moksock

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hmm ok thank you the advice and information everyone

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Why the heck do I keep comparing my games to ones made by huge companies? I'd love them to have that level of polish but I'm simply not good enough.
Hell of a day at the London Games Market! :D

1656892272017.png

Check out my haul!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hananaa