Custom Make Overworld

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Nitrogue, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Nitrogue

Nitrogue Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys, I'm in the midst of working on an RPG game similar to Pokemon/Zelda/Earthbound, whereby the player is able to move from one town to a route and then to a forest seamlessly without having to step on a tile to get transported to a specific map.

In other words, there is no switching involved as the player just moves and the game camera follows the player (I hope you guys get what I'm saying). But ofcourse there are exceptions such as when player goes into houses or buildings or caves.

My question is, do I need to create a custom made Overworld map (Parallax map) taking into account the locations and events? If yes, any tips and suggestions? Any recommendations for the size of the map or dimensions?

2. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If I get that right, you don't need a "world map" at all (not in game anyway).
    But if your map is too big you may have some lag problems, to prevent that, you could eventually split your map into smaller maps, and use the "fade none" transition between maps.

3. Nitrogue

Nitrogue Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks Twings! I'll give it a try and will let you know how it went :) For such maps, what's the recommended dimension?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018