Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there, for the game im currently doing i really want to create a sort of main menu that leads to all other things in the game, think of the main menu of mobile games like kantai collection or Fate: Grand order. 

Here is a pic for reference: 

So far ive managed to do something similar using a plugin that lets me change dialogue options into images, but it would be much better if i knew how to put together something like this myself. 

My question is, how difficult would be to do something like this for someone with no coding skills at all? And if its not too complicated, and someone wants to help, or at least putting me in the right direction that would be much appreciated, thanks in advance! 

Crabs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Let me see if I understood. Do you want to make the kanji "clickable"?

It's not that hard to make buttons. You just need to know the basics of js and understand how the game detect input, draw stuff on screen and maybe the basic concept of scenes and window. The hardest part and boring, IMO, is to adjust the buttons on screen.

People in this forum usually helps a lot and since it's nothing complicated I'm pretty sure that many users will be able help.

You should try.

Here's a reference to learn the basics (it's a playlist):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAhuV2yrS6nrkVwtEIjIC1isySa8l2F4h

If you watch the first 25 videos, you will have enough knowledge make it!

Feel free to ask questions and keep in mind that it's possible to make what you want and much more! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Crabs whoa thanks a lot! i will give that playlist i try. Yeah i wasnt thinking of anything too fancy, just custom buttoms on the screen that could lead to another menu, the game, etc. But im making everything with either keyboard or gamepad in mind, so ideally the player should be able to select each button with those instead of clicking. 

Another reason why i want to learn this is that i want my games to be more on the visual novel side rather than the old school looking rpg, if that makes sense haha.  

Crabs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
It's not hard to make the game work with both mouse, keyboard, or gamepad. It's a pro of this engine.

The code "input.isPressed('ok')", for instance, detects a right click (mouse), a ENTER hit (keyboard) and a A button (gamepad) at the same time.

Also, since you want to make a visual novel, you should consider checking this plugin.

https://galvs-scripts.com/2016/03/14/mv-visual-novel-choices/

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thanks again! i will also check that one out

Rishi Raj Jain

Pokemon MV Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there, for the game im currently doing i really want to create a sort of main menu that leads to all other things in the game.
If you have made some plugin would you like to share it.
So, it could help others.

One more thing: It's just for the Main menu our all menus

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have made some plugin would you like to share it.
So, it could help others.

One more thing: It's just for the Main menu our all menus
Sorry i abandoned this idea months ago, it was intended for the main menu of the game only.

Rishi Raj Jain

Pokemon MV Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry i abandoned this idea months ago, it was intended for the main menu of the game only.
I wish you didn't have abandoned that idea, it would be great for the Community.

I'm planing the same for all menus, can you help me with any progress you made while you were working on the idea, so that I don't have to start from scratch.

Last edited:

Amarok

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wish you didn't have abandoned that idea, it would be great for the Community.

I'm planing the same for all menus, can you help me with any progress you made will you were working on the idea, so that I don't have to start from scratch.
The only thing i managed to do without learning how to code was using Moghunter variable hud plugin to show the different resources/variables on the upper part of the screen. I didnt try it, but i think the buttons could be achieved with yanfly picture to common event plugin.

jjraymonds

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let me see if I understood. Do you want to make the kanji "clickable"?

It's not that hard to make buttons. You just need to know the basics of js and understand how the game detect input, draw stuff on screen and maybe the basic concept of scenes and window. The hardest part and boring, IMO, is to adjust the buttons on screen.

People in this forum usually helps a lot and since it's nothing complicated I'm pretty sure that many users will be able help.

You should try.

Here's a reference to learn the basics (it's a playlist):

If you watch the first 25 videos, you will have enough knowledge make it!

Feel free to ask questions and keep in mind that it's possible to make what you want and much more! :)
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead! But that play list isn't available anymore- what sorta stuff should I be searching for when trying to make my own menu like what was described here? Is this stuff along the lines of parallel events, pictures, variables, and switches? Or more pure java scripting?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Dad's watching a WWII documentary while I work on some cool assets for my games. I just love RPG Maker!
Also Happy Halloween! Dad's friend won't be coming unfortunately, but Dad will still be taking me to Boxi Park to have some fun tonight! I'll be posting a video on my YouTube channel of the show, and I'll be sure to post a link here.
"Nightmares exist outside of logic and there's little fun to be had in explanations. They're antithetical to the poetry of fear. In a horror story the victim keeps asking why, but there can be no explanation and there shouldn't be one..." - Stephen King
I feel people seek explanation and demand it sometimes in games, but in the horror genre, well, maybe you shouldn't have one. Silent Hill 1 comes to mind...
Managed to implement QSprite.

Always double check your plugin order.

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:
Ami
--- OP Candy ---

Kids: Trick Or Treat!
Hero: Alright,here's the Candies (Give A Bunch Of Candy).
Kids: Thank you,Mister! (Running)
Hero: How cute they are…
F.Archer: Did you give them a OP Candy,accidently?
Hero: Huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gbasire