Sopo201

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In my game, during the final boss, one of the party members falls into a perma-death state, so he can't be healed or anything.

So, is there a way I could have a message display saying something like "Nothing happened!" when (at the top left, not in a text box) the Raise skill is used?

Thanks!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I THINK this would require a script mod, but I really am not familiar enough with the battle system to be sure. So I'll leave it here for the time being, in case anyone else can come up with a non-scripting way to do it.

Sopo201

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I THINK this would require a script mod, but I really am not familiar enough with the battle system to be sure. So I'll leave it here for the time being, in case anyone else can come up with a non-scripting way to do it.
That's fine, it can be in a script. As long as it works, I'll be happy!  :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on what exactly you want to happen to that actor when the state is applied.

If that state forces HP=0 then you'll need a script to override the automatics that happens when HP drops to zero.

However, if you make a new state "permadeath" that is different from the regular death and that keeps the HP unchanged above zero (just makes the actor inactive, damage rates and TGR set to zero and prevent further damage), then the actor doesn't count as dead for the engine and the raise death skill can't be used on it.

This would not give you the special message you want, but it would have the same functionaity (you have to make sure that there is no "recover all" skill that removes all regular states however).

Sopo201

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It depends on what exactly you want to happen to that actor when the state is applied.

If that state forces HP=0 then you'll need a script to override the automatics that happens when HP drops to zero.

However, if you make a new state "permadeath" that is different from the regular death and that keeps the HP unchanged above zero (just makes the actor inactive, damage rates and TGR set to zero and prevent further damage), then the actor doesn't count as dead for the engine and the raise death skill can't be used on it.

This would not give you the special message you want, but it would have the same functionaity (you have to make sure that there is no "recover all" skill that removes all regular states however).
I already have the permadeath state all set up and working. Using Recover shows the statement "<Actor 1> took no damage!", and Raise shows no message whatsoever.(Both do not heal the actor, which I want) I would prefer if the game said something more along the lines of "Nothing happened!" So basically, the state functions as it should, but I'm just looking to change the message for aesthetic purposes.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then you need a script, because that would require different skill messages depending on target conditions - something that the engine doesn't provide

I've moved this thread to Script Request. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Sopo201

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Bump

Does anyone have a script for this? I still really need it. Thanks :)

Lecode

(─‿‿─)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello.

Try that:

Code:
class Window_BattleLog < Window_Selectable    NothingHappened_States = [ 29 ] # <- Insert states' id here    alias lecode_nothap_dar display_action_results  def display_action_results(target, item)    if target.result.used && trigger_nothap?(target)      last_line_number = line_number      display_nothing_happened      wait if line_number > last_line_number      back_to(last_line_number)      return    end    lecode_nothap_dar(target, item)  end    def display_nothing_happened    text = "Nothing happened !"    add_text(text)    wait  end    def trigger_nothap?(target)    NothingHappened_States.any? { |id| target.state?(id) }  end  end

Sopo201

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello.

Try that:

class Window_BattleLog < Window_Selectable NothingHappened_States = [ 29 ] # <- Insert states' id here alias lecode_nothap_dar display_action_results def display_action_results(target, item) if target.result.used && trigger_nothap?(target) last_line_number = line_number display_nothing_happened wait if line_number > last_line_number back_to(last_line_number) return end lecode_nothap_dar(target, item) end def display_nothing_happened text = "Nothing happened !" add_text(text) wait end def trigger_nothap?(target) NothingHappened_States.any? { |id| target.state?(id) } end end
Awesome, this works perfectly!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

20 festive cards can now be unlocked in BiteMe!

The cards are permanent, but can only be unlocked in December!
Once the year is over, you won't be able to unlock the cards, or to upgrade it.
https://johndoenews.itch.io/biteme-storymodeCard141-160-Ad.png
Finally showing some updates again
I think it's ready - Chapter Selection:
unknown.png
On another more gaming topic, I paid 20 bucks for a visual novel to emotionally destroy me. I may write an entry about that.
1638611395177.png
Reading about metaverses recently. I can totally imagine myself in the future, logging in with VR glasses to a virtual beach villa sitting in a virtual chair, with a virtual laptop facing the sea...coding 16-bit RM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uwaphua