Custom Party Leader

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

In RPG Maker, you have something called "actors" which are the characters that the player controls.

All actors are grouped into a "unit" called a "party". Actors can be added or removed from parties at anytime during the game. You can potentially have multiple parties in your game, depending on how your project is set up.

Each party has a leader. The leader is the actor that will be displayed while you're traveling on the map. By default, the leader is the actor that is in the first position of the party. So for example if you switched the positions of the first and second members of the party, the leader will change.

Similar to actors, enemies are also grouped into their own unit called a "troop". Enemy troops by default do not have a leader.
Now, what happens if you wanted the party leader to be someone other than the first person in the party? Maybe you want the leader to be a specific actor, but that actor doesn't participate in battle.

Or perhaps you wanted enemy troops to have a leader, and make it so that when the leader dies, the enemies will scatter and run away?

With this plugin, you can set up who will be the leaders of parties and troops, and build additional plugins on top of it that allow you to use these leaders to implement new game mechanics.

More information and downloads available at HimeWorks

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Says "unknown script" when trying to save the plugin.

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of a Princess Seagull
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
WHAT!?! Is this what I think it is? THE EQUIVALENT OF PARTY MANAGER BUT FOR MV!?!  :o

This is amazing... truly the birth of the greatest mv plugin.... debate-ably, everyone has their own opinions although this is AWESOME!!  :rock-left:   :guffaw:   :rock-right:

EDIT: This is cool, but not party manager, sorry I was mistaken... still really cool though!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marillmau5

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you for this i dont know if you saw my request for this script but thanks for making this!

Its good i need to find a way to have more than 4 people following, so i can have the custom party leader and 4 monsters.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Currently, if the leader is a custom actor, and that actor isn't in the party, if you were to ask whether the leader is in the party, events would actually say no.

Should this be changed so that the leader is part of the party even though they are not listed in the party?

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of a Princess Seagull
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Currently, if the leader is a custom actor, and that actor isn't in the party, if you were to ask whether the leader is in the party, events would actually say no.

Should this be changed so that the leader is part of the party even though they are not listed in the party?
Actually, yeah, that would be pretty useful! I hadnt even thought about it but now that you mention it, that'd be VERY useful!

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Can you think of a situation where you don't actually want the leader to be part of the party?

Some sort of event where the logic would be incorrect by saying the leader is in the party, when it's just the leader.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marillmau5

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Can you think of a situation where you don't actually want the leader to be part of the party?

Some sort of event where the logic would be incorrect by saying the leader is in the party, when it's just the leader.
100% I can. I made a request and technically you filled it. The trainer can be the leader but not part of the party because the party consists of the monsters that the trainer is in control of.

Fox536

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey this works great for games where the main character needs to always be leader no matter what the party settings are. Nice plugin would of had to do something weird in the party settup like lock the main character or something.

Marillmau5

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I really want to say this works perfect with Yanlfy's Party formation script, please never change this script its perfect! I can have a leader and still change party members with out effecting the overworld sprite.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
$gameParty.leader(1) doesn't seem to work.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You mean the party leader doesn't even need to be in the party at all? Like, in the pokémon games, where the trainer isn't a party member?

Nice!

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
$gameParty.leader(1) doesn't seem to work.

$gameParty.leader() returns the leader of the party.

What are you trying to get?

You mean the party leader doesn't even need to be in the party at all? Like, in the pokémon games, where the trainer isn't a party member?

Nice!

Yes.

That was also the use case when the plugin was designed.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
$gameParty.leader() returns the leader of the party.

What are you trying to get?

Yes.

That was also the use case when the plugin was designed.
I assumed that the id of the actor would go in the parenthesis. Turns out that the technique I'm going for can be done with variables.

killerfer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
@Tsukihime

Hello Hime, I just wanna say thank you for the plugins, you are doing an amazing job. With this plugin I was able to create a system similar to Breath of Fire 4, where the player presses a button and he changes to the next character in the active party. When I have the time I will make a video tutorial. Please keep the plugins coming.

Reaction score
First Language
English

In RPG Maker, you have something called "actors" which are the characters that the player controls.

All actors are grouped into a "unit" called a "party". Actors can be added or removed from parties at anytime during the game. You can potentially have multiple parties in your game, depending on how your project is set up.

Each party has a leader. The leader is the actor that will be displayed while you're traveling on the map. By default, the leader is the actor that is in the first position of the party. So for example if you switched the positions of the first and second members of the party, the leader will change.

Similar to actors, enemies are also grouped into their own unit called a "troop". Enemy troops by default do not have a leader.
Now, what happens if you wanted the party leader to be someone other than the first person in the party? Maybe you want the leader to be a specific actor, but that actor doesn't participate in battle.

Or perhaps you wanted enemy troops to have a leader, and make it so that when the leader dies, the enemies will scatter and run away?

With this plugin, you can set up who will be the leaders of parties and troops, and build additional plugins on top of it that allow you to use these leaders to implement new game mechanics.

More information and downloads available at HimeWorks
Can I make it so if the current party leader dies, the leader will be changed with a different party member?

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Emperor DragonBreath 

This plugin provides the tools to allow you to choose who is the current party leader.

You can create an event that checks whether the current party is alive or not, and switches it as needed.

Reaction score
First Language
English
@Emperor DragonBreath

This plugin provides the tools to allow you to choose who is the current party leader.

You can create an event that checks whether the current party is alive or not, and switches it as needed.
Where can I find the checks to check whether or not the current party leader is alive, (neither K.O'ed nor stone)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

40 card deck size, the plugin seems more sluggish.
Village theme I composed for a commission!
Stream will be live shortly with some Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!
welp, the stock market went down by 7% because of corona today. Time to buy stocks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sheepman