Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is there a way that custom made scenes won't stop the events running in the screen? For example, when we access the menu, the NPCs moving on the screen (events) would pause. is there a way to disable that?

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
At least without remaking the scene, it is not possible.

The menu for example, it really doesn't have the characters there, they're just part of a background image. So if you want to make, for example, characters continue moving or something else, you would need to create the spriteset in the menu instead of just using a screenshot, and update the characters too. And probably more.

(So it's not actually disable "that", but enabling "it", I guess xD).

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The easiest way would be to implement the menu inside the map scene.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The engine is designed in a way that the map is stopped when any scene is active, and I think changing that would cause a lot of compatibility issues and other problems.

However, you can make the menu in the same way a lot of people made HUD-scripts, and just disable player movement while checking the input - that way the rest of the map would continue, and if the HUD-Design is good the layer wouldn't even realise that it is a HUD and not a menu.

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
The easiest way would be to implement the menu inside the map scene.

Could you be more specific how this can be done? Did you mean that I should be doing the Menu Windows in the Scene_Map itself?

The engine is designed in a way that the map is stopped when any scene is active, and I think changing that would cause a lot of compatibility issues and other problems.

However, you can make the menu in the same way a lot of people made HUD-scripts, and just disable player movement while checking the input - that way the rest of the map would continue, and if the HUD-Design is good the layer wouldn't even realise that it is a HUD and not a menu.

That can work <3 I'll try what I can do. What I need to do maybe is that I have to do it via a switch check after so it goes away when the menu is canceled.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yup, that's exaclty it.

orochii

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Another thing you should deactivate is event activation, I suppose. I imagine something like an event moving randomly, or a timed event, touching the player and opening a message box. Still all this can be "fixed" by designing things taking these situations into consideration.

I believe that in the old days, evented menus worked fine, because of the "interpreter_running" flag that was on when an event was running (pretty sure something like that existed internally in RM2k/3). Maybe do a flag somewhere called menu_showing that deactivates the same stuff as when an event is running.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

RivalRamen_Games wrote on jacobv1014's profile.
I really like your profile picture! Who is that in it? is she an OC?
Making his first game
This scene was suppose to be a test... but now, it's going in the game as official side/optional content. :kaosalute:

functionality(This is function demo not game demo)
1 The door of ABS map can open upon clearing all the monsters
2 Secret room/road arrow/lighting/whatever others can be shown upon clearing too
3 Boss HP bar and loot effect, loot jump and item name color as well as the pick-up animation effect
4 Back to town and "victory aftermath" screen for ABS maps/rooms
Playing one of the two RM2k3 games I was best known for back in the day, one I made in the Spring semester of my Freshmen year in college like 15 years ago, feeling all kinds of ways about it. I have not played this game in WELL over 10 years. I feel a million years old RN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bagil