Renn

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi all. I've been reading through these forums for a while because of how helpful they are, and have searched everywhere for help with my issue, because I'm sure it's an easy fix, but I can't seem to find any answers, perhaps because it is so specific.

I'm making a game focused around canines and so I need to do a lot of my spriting work on my own, which is fine, pixeling is a lot of fun for me.
I've animated a walk cycle and exported it onto a sprite sheet (here is the sheet because I know visuals help solve the issue):
7Z6HW64.png

I believe this is the correct orientations for sprite sheets. I've been dicking around on and off with this and FINALLY managed to lay everything out correctly, so during playtest, it works alright in terms of animation and everything being where it needs to go.
HOWEVER
The sprite appears super blurry in the actor preview box, and not only that, but during gameplay it appears as though it's getting the tops of the ears and bottom of the front paws mixed in. Examples:
0uoPnkd.png
(Bottom paws cut off)
f09Ak68.png
(Top of ears remain, too high)
iehnOeH.png
(Bottom paws remain)
YqbfbLy.png
(Ears cut off)
OzmqXBQ.png

Along with this issue, the sprite sheet looks super scaled down and blurry in the character box:
ZPwMbeR.png
This is rather confusing to me as well because in the Resource manager it appears at full size without any blurriness.
Does anyone know why it looks so messed up despite showing at full size in resource manager and being saved/formatted correctly (as far as I'm aware?)
Is there a specific amount of pixels there needs to be between the character rows on the sheet? I'm pawsitive (ha) that is the issue, but I don't know how much space to put between each frame so there's no issue with the sprite being uneven or anything.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The spritesheet is divided into 4 equal-sized rows. Your middle two rows are smaller than the top and bottom rows, and that's why you're getting things cut off on the up/down directions, and getting things added on on the left/right directions.

ALL your rows need to be the same height. The two middle rows need to have the sprite placed towards the bottom of the row, and the extra space will show as transparent areas above the sprites.

Renn

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
The spritesheet is divided into 4 equal-sized rows. Your middle two rows are smaller than the top and bottom rows, and that's why you're getting things cut off on the up/down directions, and getting things added on on the left/right directions.

ALL your rows need to be the same height. The two middle rows need to have the sprite placed towards the bottom of the row, and the extra space will show as transparent areas above the sprites.
Fantastic! This is the exact help I needed, thank you for the fast and easy to understand reply!!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[move]Resource Support[/move]

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

If you're a RM plugin developer, and you're reading this...

Thank you. You're awesome. Even if I haven't used your plugin, your work is appreciated.
Ami
tomorrow is the finale of my Endurance
2dfloor.png
What a fun tileset I've got here so far!
Minecraft Tiles, Maid Day, Custom Menu, Retry at GameOver, Save in Appdata | RPG Maker News #36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladdie