Custom tiles advise

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Corkyjett, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Corkyjett

Corkyjett Warper Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello everybody!
    I'm new on the forum, but I actually I've been following you for a long long time.
    I made my first game to propose to my wife, and I used the tile sets provided by the RMMV, but now I want
    to make a new game and I would like to make my own tile sets.
    Can you advise me some software to make custom tile sets and give me some tips to make good tilesets?
    Thank you for you time.

2. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

There are plenty of art software that will work to make tiles, so it may be a good idea to just use whatever you're most familiar with.

Without knowing your skill level and what style of tiles you want to make, it's hard to give detailed help. My suggestion is to look at the help files about how tiles work, and to use the default tilesets as examples of how to set things up. Making a full custom tileset is a lot of work, so it may be helpful to start with just editing tiles to help you learn.

3. MadRamDesigns

MadRamDesigns Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What hiddenone said; familiarize yourself with existing tilesets, and try editing a few to get the hang of how they work.
    As for software, there's a post in the art section that covers different ones out there.
    For tiles you need something that exports png format and supports possible transparent background.

4. Corkyjett

Corkyjett Warper Member

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will start with editing the tilesets, and I will see what I can actually do:)