Notchella

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I haven't found a video on this yet that fully helps me out, I've tried making my own custom tilesets by using the existing sizes of the default sizes but it just isn't working. How do I go about making my own tilesets and what sizes should each tile be? I've been doing 0.750 inch each side for it as the other tiles were that size. It differs depending on what A tileset it's under, but overall as you can see in the pictures below they don't work.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    275.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.png
    2.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.png
    3.png
    273.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.png
    4.png
    187.8 KB · Views: 7

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the asset standards are in the help files (F1 in the editor), no need to look for a video for them.

there are six different formats for tilesheets, and they not only differ in their pixel sizes but also in which tiles are where on the tilesheet - from animated autotiles of 288x144 pixel per tile down to regular tiles of 48x48 pixel each.

and each tilesheet can only go into the slot it has been designed for, placing an A2 sheet into the A1 slot for example will result in a flickering of three non-animated autotiles squashed together into one tile instead of three.

only the tilesheet for B-E slots can be interchanged, and even then you have to take care that the first B tile will always be deleted for the eraser tile.

Notchella

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
the asset standards are in the help files (F1 in the editor), no need to look for a video for them.

there are six different formats for tilesheets, and they not only differ in their pixel sizes but also in which tiles are where on the tilesheet - from animated autotiles of 288x144 pixel per tile down to regular tiles of 48x48 pixel each.

and each tilesheet can only go into the slot it has been designed for, placing an A2 sheet into the A1 slot for example will result in a flickering of three non-animated autotiles squashed together into one tile instead of three.

only the tilesheet for B-E slots can be interchanged, and even then you have to take care that the first B tile will always be deleted for the eraser tile.
Hi, sorry if I'm being a bit stupid but I haven't found anything in the sections to do with making tilesets, just data on it and how to make a map using the original tilesets. I also looked at inches to pixel converter and having a48 x 48 pixel would be less than an inch so I don't think I got that right.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I also looked at inches to pixel converter and having a48 x 48 pixel
you don't convert, and pixel art is NEVER counted in inches.
you have to set the size of the picture directly to pixel, never to inches.

comparing pixel to inches is like comparing apples to bananas - they have nothing to do with each other.

displays or printers have resolutions that are termed in pixel-per-inch, but that transformation is dependent on your physical device. A lot of monitors have 72 ppi, while a lot of printers have 300, 600 or 1200 pixel per inch.

If your image program requires a size in inches, then it is either the wrong setup or it is not capable of handling pixel art at all. You need to set your sizes in pixel directly.

This for example is the correct setup for a tilesheet-B in an older Photoshop:
tilesetup_photoshop.png

You'll see how it accepts the pixel directly?

As for the help file, it begins here:
helptileset.png

You cannot make any tile without knowing where to place it on the tilesheet.
and if you want to know how to make an autotile, there are tutorials about this in the official blog on this very website, just search for them

Notchella

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
you don't convert, and pixel art is NEVER counted in inches.
you have to set the size of the picture directly to pixel, never to inches.

comparing pixel to inches is like comparing apples to bananas - they have nothing to do with each other.

displays or printers have resolutions that are termed in pixel-per-inch, but that transformation is dependent on your physical device. A lot of monitors have 72 ppi, while a lot of printers have 300, 600 or 1200 pixel per inch.

If your image program requires a size in inches, then it is either the wrong setup or it is not capable of handling pixel art at all. You need to set your sizes in pixel directly.

This for example is the correct setup for a tilesheet-B in an older Photoshop:
View attachment 226993

You'll see how it accepts the pixel directly?

As for the help file, it begins here:
View attachment 226994

You cannot make any tile without knowing where to place it on the tilesheet.
and if you want to know how to make an autotile, there are tutorials about this in the official blog on this very website, just search for them
I'm trying to follow using Photoshop but it just won't work :/ I messed around and managed to get one tile that fits, but now it's invisible on my map. In map settings it shows my wood floor, I removed all layers except the one with the floor, but it's either invisible or glitchy when I apply it to my map. I'm really struggling to see where I'm going wrong.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Which format tilesheet have you put it on, and which slot have you allocated that tilesheet to for the tileset in the database?

EDIT
You mentioned that it was a wooden floor tile. I am assuming that you have made a single tile 48 x 48, not an autotile.
I suggest you put it on an A5 tilesheet (width 384, height 768) and make sure that you allocate it to the A5 slot in the database for that tile set.
1653336459114.png

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I messed around and managed to get one tile that fits, but now it's invisible on my map.
then please attach the tilesheet to an answer here and we can tell you if you did anything wrong with it.
the most important rule however is that the tilesheets HAVE TO BE of the exact pixel size, the engine always gets problems if you use a tilesheet picture with the wrong number of pixels.

EDIT: if everything else fails, copy an existing tilesheet, give it a different name and then replace one of the existing tiles there one after another.

Notchella

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Which format tilesheet have you put it on, and which slot have you allocated that tilesheet to for the tileset in the database?

EDIT
You mentioned that it was a wooden floor tile. I am assuming that you have made a single tile 48 x 48, not an autotile.
I suggest you put it on an A5 tilesheet (width 384, height 768) and make sure that you allocate it to the A5 slot in the database for that tile set.
View attachment 227140
Sorry for late reply, that seems to work! Just need to resize the images :) Thank you

Notchella

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
then please attach the tilesheet to an answer here and we can tell you if you did anything wrong with it.
the most important rule however is that the tilesheets HAVE TO BE of the exact pixel size, the engine always gets problems if you use a tilesheet picture with the wrong number of pixels.

EDIT: if everything else fails, copy an existing tilesheet, give it a different name and then replace one of the existing tiles there one after another.
Thanks for all your help :) Starting to get the hang of it now

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A shotgun is not a rifle. Huh.
SIGH its so hard to convince my friend that making a game for fun and making one to sell takes different planning. I don't care about weird bothersome ways of doing things in a game made for fun, but when you are planning to market it, there is some stuff that you just have to streamline or cut out.
It might be a little bit boring and tedious, but building that database of armor, items, weapons and skills are super important.
More words of wisdom: Trying to make everyone happy will just make you miserable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Khai2729