Custom Tilesets

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by OZiO, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OZiO

OZiO Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey Peoples,

One day I want to give back to this community with some dope ass custom tilesets, but until then I'm back with another question. I've been working on some of my own custom tiles for my modern set game, but I can't for the life of me get my sprites the right size. I'm using RPG Maker MV and originally assumed each block on the in-software grid was 32x32(?) but every time I take my images and add them to my "edit as I go" tilesheet (usually set to E in the database of an existing tileset) the left pane in the software is always off. The little square selector thing is always off by just a little bit. How can I fix this where when I add a tileset in it's closer to say some of the official RTP tiles in the way it's selected? 

Additional question: Should the background of tileset image be straight transparent blank or is white background fine? Lastly, what is the preferred overall image size for the whole picture of a tileset, because RPG Maker MV seems to prefer something more vertical rather than horizontal.

Thanks in adavnce to anyone who can help me out of this, hopefully one day soon I'll have more to contribute to you guys than question :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2016
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    no, 32x32 was the grid size for RMXP to VXA.

MV uses a higher resolution with a grid size of 48x48, and that is the size needed for tiles.

All tilesheets (there are six different formats for tilesheets) should be PNG and use alpha-channel for true transparency - never use a color replacement transparency as that will cause problems in the long run - at minimum a drastic increase in memory usage because the transparency needs to be created by color replacement.

And if your tiles don't fit, then you're using the wrong format. They will fit if they're in the correct formats for the tilesheets (but as mentioned, there are six different formatsa and you'll get problems if you place regular tiles on most of the autotile sheets).

OZiO likes this.
  3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    B-E tilesheets in MV should be 512 x 512 768 x768, with a grid set to 48 x 48 as Andar said. The way it displays in the editor is to take it and split it in half, putting the right half below the left half.

A tilesheets are all different. I recommend you opening them in your editing program to see dimensions. They will still have a grid of 48 x 48 grid though. 

I'm not sure what program you are using to edit tiles, but I strongly recommend one such as Photoshop or GIMP that has the capability to show gridlines. I think Paint.net does as well. I use GIMP and find it perfectly suitable for RM needs.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
    OZiO likes this.
  4. OZiO

OZiO Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This is exactly the information I was looking for. I use paint.net because I know my way around it, but also have access to Photoshop. 

Big thanks to the both of you. 

5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yikes, I was wrong, B-E sheets are 768 x 768. Sorry for the mistake, I must have opened an Ace file instead.

OZiO likes this.
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can download a plugin for paint.net to allow you to add a grid (on a new layer).  I find it incredibly helpful.

OZiO likes this.
  7. OZiO

OZiO Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks so much to each of you, I've got my custom sprites loaded in nice and proportionately last night. If need be we can close this thread. Everyone can go home. 

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.