Customizable TCG Scripts && Resources

Would you use such a system - if it was available?

• Total voters
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is amazing! XD I was thinking of doing a TCG game on Ace and saw some examples. I'm kind of the person that has no knowledge on scripting and struggles through the ones I find. Lots f Trial and error but once I get it, it makes making things a breeze.

What I really like about this is the customization aspect. If you wanted to use this as a fin card collecting mini game you can. What about using this system as a sort of battle engine like Baton Katos? 

I wanted to make a digimon fangame with a TCG component. Or even make something similar to the CHIPs in megaman battle network series. Where cards give you skills to use. KIll the monsters enough and they drop CHIPs.

The customization seems like the heart of this system and your only limit is your own imagination and the system too. We gotta share something. XD

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the interest in our project. :)

As you can probably tell, the system side of things will be great for RPGMaker developers, but also the game side of things is what we are going to need in order to successfully fund the project. At least based on initial quotes I have had done.

That being said, yes, the system would function as either a primary or secondary battling system. Meaning, it could be used as the main battle system, but will also not cause ANY interference with any other battle system you use - such as symphony, victors, yanflys, moghunters, whatever else...

Also, there would be features included (within the array of addons planned) to tie in the feature of 'gaining cards from killing monsters based on numerous possible factors'.

Not quit sure about the 'chips' thing your talking about?

Would these chips be gained from monsters and then used to purchase cards ?

Customization for users is the main focus of the system (other than it being a highly complex TCG + Add-Ons), so I am obviously willing to take new ideas on board for features I may have missed. :)

Also... Should have some cool concept art to show off soon. So that is another little something :D

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The "chips" was referring to items collected in the megaman battle network games. Instead of cards, it is chips, like little sd cards. The game is set in the future so no paper cards.  

Oh wow! A fully compatible script that won't interfere. It keeps getting and better. :)

Yes! Some pictures to see this in action.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think the idea is fantastic and, although, I'm not a Kickstarter guy (yet), I'd definitely pay to be able to use it and bring a couple of CCG ideas I've had to life.  The most important thing to me would be a powerful and flexible set of in-game rules and mechanics that the system would either allow me to choose from, or at least provide the tools to let me create the rules myself without a ton of hassle.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, the concept art wont be to show the system in action, cause quite simply, no where near enough work has been done to the system yet to do anything really. Alot of the basic code has been setup, but not much more will be done until I know that we will be able to complete the project, which will obviously depend on how the funding process goes. But they are images and have been constructed in the exact way the images will be structured for use in this system and also show off ONE of the styles that will most likely be featured within the 'resources' side of things.

After all, this project is for not only a TCG system, but also for a small game (which script users can use as a demo - for reference points etc..) and resources to use in the aforementioned system.

The script has to remain independent to ensure there are no incompatibilities with regular vx ace features, so literally everything will be scripted from the ground upwards. It wont use any of the default vx ace states, skills, enemies, actors, nothing. All will be coded in what is essentially a scripted version of a database - with the intention of being easy enough to understand for people who arent code writers. :)

With regards to the rules and mechanics available...

These would likely be all setup within one hash of data... something along the lines of this

Rules = {  :mana_pool => true,  :tap_cards   => true,  :flip_defence => true,}^ These are just example rules for common features from popular TCG's. It will likely be rulesets like this that are all coded in first.

I will also be implementing loads of various checks that can be performed for those who want to try creating their own rules. This will likely involve some coding knowledge to do, but there will be a documentation and examples to show how things are done. :)

Additionally, I am thinking of accommodating more than 1 set of cards. So, for example, there would be TCG A cards and TCG B cards. Both games would be able to use completely different rulesets and backgrounds and layout etc and then, your game suddenly has 2 in-game TCG's rather than 1. Alternatively, they could be card editions. Like, after you have played the game for [x] amount of time, a new set of cards is released, so you start also collecting that set.. Still processing the details of that part though :p

Remember :

This project has more chance of running a successful funding campaign if more people know of it.

Tweeting / Liking / Sharing the main page (this page here) - where all the information is (much more than featured on this site) will greatly help this project. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
did will be a possibility to play in two ? like a versus?

phoenix_rossy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was hunting for a long time before I found someone who would code my intended TCG minigame. Massive shout-out to Fomar0153 for stepping up!

As for this project, if it's done right, count me in (depending on what kind of return you're expecting from it). 

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The main problem with having two-player features, is the fact that each player would be able to see what cards where in the other persons 'hand'. Due to that issue, I dont think allowing two-player would be worth it.

I am happy you managed to find someone to code your in-game TCG. :)

Hopefully you didn't have to wait too long for someone to take on the challenge. And I hope it done exactly what you wanted too :D

With regards to 'return' I am expecting. Honestly, very minimal. If the fundraising process is successful, almost all funding will be spent on the resources needed for me to properly progress on the system. Little will actually be used by me, and whatever is, will likely be for things like snacks when im scripting :p

Once the project is complete, the resources / scripts would likely be sold for very little to allow more people the chance of obtaining the packs. Then, any money gained from that, would be used within future projects ^_^

I hope I answered your queries? If not, feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

The past few days has also been spent working on the 'game' side of this project. As mentioned somewhere, this will likely be where most funding comes from, and it will also double as a handy guide for the resource users. I should have a considerable update on the main age for that over the next few days.

You would be surprised how much of the day it takes to send a few emails and update some information here and there lol.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
hum okai..yeah when you admit this is not really easy but what I love it was the duel of yugi ho where you can't saw your card you have to remember how you place your deck ;3!

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, I figured it was probably about time to give you guys a sneaky peek at the concept art that has been done so far...

The art in question has been done by Jesse @ PVGames who has been great in taking the requirements of each layer into account and also, dealing with my fussiness :D

Anyway, here is an image of the first rough draft of a card and its layout.

The image on the left is in 'perfect' condition, where as the right image has clearly lived a harsh life in the hands of a rough owner. As you can see, there is quite a bit of discoloration as well as 'dirty marks' and many creases shown.

After I had spent many hours researching more TCG cards, I had an idea of valuable information we had missed and a few small changes for the layout to be optimized. Jesse was very quick in applying my requested modifications and produced this card image:

Obviously, the same kind of discoloring featured on "Red Dragon" would apply to this card (as it would apply to all cards - if mistreated)

The card featured on the right, has been placed within a protective sleeve - this would preserve its condition. If the card was in a poor condition prior to be placed in a sleeve, it would retain the sheen from the sleeve, but it would also retain all discoloring from poor condition.

At this point I spotted the potential for a little more space for information on the cards, requested the changed to be make, which yielded the result shown below;

As you can tell, the layout and design has come quite a way since the first draft.

The box at the bottom was going to be used for rarity; however, since I will be accommodating having a completely different card layout for each rarity / type of cards, there is no real need for a dedicated information slot.  This thought was again relayed to Jesse,who accommodated the changes.

Clearly, the left card is a common card, the right one is rare.

I'm very pleased with this overall layout and with the various layers having been taken into consideration, I should have enough to properly begin the code to 'design' each card. Surprisingly, this is what will take the longest.

In order to have the setup working the way I want, I have to code a completely unique text handling system (standalone from vx ace scripts obviously) along with the code to piece each image together quickly (need VERY quick speed for this process - or when lots of cards are shown it will lag),

Again, huge thanks to Jesse @ PVGames (Creator of High Fantasy Resource Packs such as THIS ONE) for performing this work for me. I really think that this style of art works well for Trading Cards and cards featured within the initial resources will likely be in this kind of style. :)

So, cant wait to hear your guys thoughts on the current concept layout.

Necromus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Due to the little space you got, I would include Keywords with popup help windows.

What I mean is, if you're familiar with MTG, over the year certain abilities were shortened to a single keyword, instead of explaining everything that ability does.

Things like Flying, Deathtouch, Lifelink and so on.

So I would suggest you do the same for your design.

When you hover over a card with the mouse (assuming it will be mouse controlled, if not you need to figure out a different way), and over a keyword, a popup window would appear and display the complete wording of that ability.

phoenix_rossy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
With regards to 'return' I am expecting. Honestly, very minimal. If the fundraising process is successful, almost all funding will be spent on the resources needed for me to properly progress on the system. Little will actually be used by me, and whatever is, will likely be for things like snacks when im scripting :p
I meant, how much were you planning to charge as a reward tier/retail price on the pack?

Arin

Tonight...we dine...in-oh a piece of candy!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Fraglspock
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You honestly don't have to put every stat from the engine onto your cards. It's unnecessary and convoluted, to say the least. You'll mostly want just an indicator of ATK and DEF. You also don't want to label your cards with the rarity; the different colored border should be just enough of an indication. If you want your cards to have special magical abilities, then that should be an entirely different mechanic altogether. It feels like right now, there are a lot of unnecessary and convoluted details in the cards themselves that will later on have no relevance whatsoever. Remember to keep it simple for right now~ when you're developing something as grand-scale as this.

Necromus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
You honestly don't have to put every stat from the engine onto your cards. It's unnecessary and convoluted, to say the least. You'll mostly want just an indicator of ATK and DEF. You also don't want to label your cards with the rarity; the different colored border should be just enough of an indication. If you want your cards to have special magical abilities, then that should be an entirely different mechanic altogether. It feels like right now, there are a lot of unnecessary and convoluted details in the cards themselves that will later on have no relevance whatsoever. Remember to keep it simple for right now~ when you're developing something as grand-scale as this.
Imo, thats not completely true. There is no need to HAVE that much information displayed, I totally agree with that. However, when planing possible designs, you should create it as detailed as possible, and just make the indicators invisible if not needed.

That way you don't need to "clutter" your cards, but you have the option to do so if needed.

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Due to the little space you got, I would include Keywords with popup help windows.

What I mean is, if you're familiar with MTG, over the year certain abilities were shortened to a single keyword, instead of explaining everything that ability does.

Things like Flying, Deathtouch, Lifelink and so on.

So I would suggest you do the same for your design.

When you hover over a card with the mouse (assuming it will be mouse controlled, if not you need to figure out a different way), and over a keyword, a popup window would appear and display the complete wording of that ability.
Thanks for the thoughts dude :)

I had also considered the idea of having 'popup info' for card details. Also, I was playing with the idea of a 'features encyclopedia' which is basically a list of all features within the game. With alphabetical/numerical ordering facilities and probably a search option.

Also, I was going to simply use icons to reference the kind of features you mention, such as flying :)

I meant, how much were you planning to charge as a reward tier/retail price on the pack?
Unfortunately, I am not able to put an exact price on this at the moment.

I have messaged a few people that I would consider for doing the work that requires 'outsourcing' (such as art and music), obviously to request price estimates. Once I have all those details and have done a bit more coding for the system, I will be able to give a more accurate timeframe of project completion and also for the projects fundraising goal.

With regards to the price of the actual scripts / resources, also not able to give a price for that yet, but as mentioned previous, it will be distributed as cheap as possible to allow more people the opportunity of obtaining the pack.  :)

I completely agree that having all the normal vx ace style param stats is slightly excessive.

The main reason the current concepts show the regular style stats is because that is what is being used for now :p

Once the actual system has been coded the user will have a choice over what stats they show, what they are called, and also what game mechanic they effect an how they are used in play.

Personally, for the MNK (playable TCG Game) portion of this project I think I will be using all the stats shown within the current concept cards, perhaps no agility, but I will still retain the stat in case others wish to use it.

The second reason I am going to initially be using all stats, is so that there is at least 10 stats available to the user (2 stats have not been mentioned and are not yet featured within the concept art) within the core of the system. And most of them are stats they would be familiar with from regular ace databases. :)

Imo, thats not completely true. There is no need to HAVE that much information displayed, I totally agree with that. However, when planing possible designs, you should create it as detailed as possible, and just make the indicators invisible if not needed.

That way you don't need to "clutter" your cards, but you have the option to do so if needed.
As mentioned above, there is some rationality behind me having those stats there for now.

Furthermore, as the art is all concept imagery just now, we are still playing with the design etc. Once I am able to finish the code for creating the card images I will be uploading some images from 'in-game' cards. This will probably be a few images at first and once its all functioning - within the 'card inventory scene', I will be uploading a short video to properly see them in action - along with their various visual effects. :)

Really happy that the 'following' this project has continues to grow.

I was thinking of obtaining a dedicated .com page for either 'Dekyde Studios' or 'MNK' itself.  If I do pursue that route, all information regarding the game, scripts and system will be transferred from my current blog, over to that page. :)

A link will obviously be provided at that time. :D

Also, should have some other concept art for you guys soon. Perhaps even some new cool overlay effects ;)

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Cards should be image files anyway. All you need to is to provide external method to do them for user friendliness.

Aka blank card graphics and then adding image and details via external program.

PSD file would be nice for those that has Photoshop.

Last edited by a moderator:

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I might be interested in backing this project were it to be financial, but I'd like to see it in action via video first :)

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Clord, Yea cards will obviously be image files. most likely in separate png files though :)

I dont think the psd support would be possible, at least not for processing the images from within game, but psd/gimp files seem very possible. (most likely gimp as thats a free program - but gimp can also open .psd's... so...

Each card will be a sprite created from multiple 'sheets' (layers). The users of the system would very easily be able to just change the monster image and information (within the cards customization section) to make each card their own, and adding and removing cards is also very easy. :)

@HFL, Good to know dude :)

I think alot of people are thinking the same.

Recently I have been trying to get the rest of my affairs in order, so I can fully dedicate myself to this project. I am getting quite excited about the ideas I have - not only for the TCG system, but also for the game (Maho No Kado) that will be getting made with it.

As some of you may know, there is quite a few 'revolutionary' things happening in RM right now. And not just RM as a whole...
I have also recently started making scripts with online features  (not publicly released scripts) such as an autoupdater / patching system and online highscores. (these can be seen in action by dowloading PiNG - found in my sig)

Furthermore a few people have asked me 'will Maho No Kado / the TCG system have online features?"

The answer this this question is yes and no respectively. The ENCRYPTED Maho No Kado will be shipped WITH online systems. The unencrypted version and the TCG pack will NOT contain any online systems.

The reason for this is simple - I can write the servers code for the features I use within MNK. I cannot write the code to accommodate the level of customization i want to offer the TCG script system users. Also - online features would only ever work for those users who had their own servers and databases.

Additionally, I have already written a very efficient saving system for this project. Keep in mind, this is only to save the TCG data for each game file - so each time the user saves, it would actually ave two files - one regular save file, one TCG save file. 
The way this has been written it will likely require 0-small changes from now until the system is ready; however, this doesn't accommodate for any visual 'save select' type thing.

So, is there anything you guys would like to see included in the saving system? May as well let me know now :D

Furthermore, as previously mentioned in this post each card image will be made from numerous layers..

I have also been writing a dll and script to be used within this system - the dll is mostly for new fast bitmap processing methods. - For an example of the kind of methods, its for things like 'sepia, greyscale, colorscale, redscale, bluescale, greenscale, invert, dkblt[a faster blt method] )' and there will likely be more by the end :)

/rantover ;)

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Lol...

I hope to have sufficient features working and a good amount of footage for the end of feb. At that point I will be holding a campaign for the project and if successful, it will take a few months, if not, who knows when/if it will get finished. Its quite a large undergo-ing :p

Also, considering Ive decided to add online features, like trading and such (not for the public version - for my own) then yea, quite some time. ^_^

dont worry though, I haven't stopped this project and will keep you guys updated. Just got alot going on atm :)

I guess thought my online login system is something for the tcg (again, my one, not the public scripts), so yea, i have that done ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Karen: Hi, I have a condition that prevents me from wearing a mask. :)

Employee: Can you tell me what it is?

Karen: >:(
Feeling a little overwhelmed... There are so many things to do.
- Building a simple website for portfolio
- Setup *******
- Manage social media
There are so many things inside of these tasks :(
Meet the cute little ghost, FhooFhoo. :kaopride:
If anyone here is looking for another high-potential RPGMaker game--besides She Dreams Elsewhere--be sure to follow Lawmage Academy. Good social media presence will take that game far.
Lol, I was about to write a small tutorial and realized it would belong to the MZ section ....that does not exist yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bektos