Naveed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I plan to use shards in my game which provide special benefits when attached. However, what I can't figure out is what would be better - attach them to equipment or attach them to actors?

I assume if I make them equipment attachable, I can make the benefits slightly lower scale as new slots can be made available by changing equipment. However, if I make them actor attachable, the rewards would have to be much higher as slots are much more limited. I wouldn't want to attach a "Attack +10" shard to my actor who has only 3 precious slots available, but I would consider attaching it to my sword as I know I have more slots available in maybe my armors or I could just get a sword with more slots.

So, advantages of making actor shards is that each shard would feel special, however the number of shards would likely decrease and also the available slots would be very limited. If I make equipment shards, I'll have more shards and more flexible slots for a bigger customization variety, but there would be many shards that would eventually become redundant.

So, which system do you prefer? I'll have you know that I presume having both would simply over-complicate my game, and I don't want to bloat my game with unwanted features.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prescott

argggghhh
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the idea of weapon upgrades. The player is already leveling up and gaining stats, so it's really cool to have weapons that do that too.

Necrology

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ya I think weapon upgrades are better and they make more sense. Characters can already use equipment and weapons to modify their stats in specific ways. Having shards on weapons makes them more adaptable to the player's needs. One consideration would be if you want players to be able to remove shards or not at all. Do the shards destroy? Are they unable to be removed? Do you want someone using a wood sword at the end of the game but slotted with powerful crystals? 

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Anyone else just like, not bother to make games themed around specific holidays? I know I won't get them done in time for it to make sense.
time to enter the playtest dimension
Sherriff: This permit you're renewing expired two months ago, you haven't been concealing illegally have you?

Me, remembering the sheriff was at the range with me a couple weeks ago and unsure if he'd noted me draw from IWB: I plead the fifth.
Stardew Valley's ConcernedApe announced their new game with a teaser. Hyped. It gave me some ideas to think about for the games I'm going to make as well.
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st October 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamsesMont