RPGMaker25

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello again!

I have come across a little technical hitch... What I am aiming to do, is to have my character leave a certain area, and upon leaving the screen fades out and a cut-scene occurs. During this scene, the screen is dark (I filled it in with the darkness tile), and after the scrolling text and the background music ends I would like to have my character enter a different map. However, I am struggling to get my character onto a different map after the event finishes...The area's name comes up, but the screen remains black!

How do I achieve this? Please help! (Noob here, so please reply with simple instructions so I can understand what to do. Thanks! lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
On the map he transfers to after the scrolling text, put Fade In Screen as an auto-run , make sure you turn off this event.

RPGMaker25

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It worked.. but now when the screen re-appears my character wont move lol

Also, how do I make sure that this prologue cut-scene and the fade in only works once, so that I can have my character come and go as they please?

Thanks again in advance!

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
He doesn't move because you need to turn off the event, example below

FadeIn

Control Self switch A is on

Create a new event page

check self switch and make sure it is A

To ensure any event does not repeat, insert a self switch into the event. Example as above will apply to turn off any event excluding the Fadein. Other methods to turn off events is through switches... so and so switch is on or off it must be set through the check boxes. But switches should only be used for events that effect more than one. Self switches are good for turning off one event.

You may want to look into some eventing tutorials, to shed some light on more ways to manipulate events.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It worked.. but now when the screen re-appears my character wont move lol

Also, how do I make sure that this prologue cut-scene and the fade in only works once, so that I can have my character come and go as they please?

Thanks again in advance!
You need to use switches - both for making sure that the cutscenes only works once, and for shutting off the autorun that made the fade-in and most probably now prevents the player from moving.
Switches and variables are the key to any advanced quests or cutscenes, and if you're uncomfortable using them then you better go back to the tutorials until you've mastered them.

You can follow the link in my signature to some sample games and tutorials and tricks on how to use RM.

RPGMaker25

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
He doesn't move because you need to turn off the event, example below

FadeIn

Control Self switch A is on

Create a new event page

check self switch and make sure it is A

To ensure any event does not repeat, insert a self switch into the event. Example as above will apply to turn off any event excluding the Fadein. Other methods to turn off events is through switches... so and so switch is on or off it must be set through the check boxes. But switches should only be used for events that effect more than one. Self switches are good for turning off one event.

You may want to look into some eventing tutorials, to shed some light on more ways to manipulate events.
Thanks again! =)

RPGMaker25

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
.. Sorry for being a total noob here but.. How do self switches work?  :guffaw:

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
You double click the list, on the first page self switch should be there. A,B,C or D it doesn't matter as long as the following page has the matching switch checked in the box to your left, check the one that says  self switch.

These switches work as in self, meaning one this event only. They are used to progress small events or even large events.

Thats all I can tell you and what I use them for.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPGMaker25, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Did you read the tutorials? They SHOULD cover self switches. They are very similar to regular switches, but they affect ONLY the event you're editing.

Also, when you create a blank page that's conditioned by a switch or self switch in order to stop a previous action from happening (like your cutscene or your fade-in), make sure you don't set the trigger to autorun. THAT will stop your character dead in his tracks.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Happy Friday, y'all! I just got home from work and am sitting down with a nice cider, and I'm ready to chill and enjoy myself. Not sure if I'm gonna dive into any of my game-related projects or not tonight.... we'll see how I feel after unwinding for a bit I guess!
Just found out that mint tea made from chocolate mint tastes a bit like hot cocoa with candy cane stirred in. As I'm allergic to chocolate this makes me very happy.
It's special day for me tomorrow so time to vanish for 24 hours lol.
So Deltarune Chapter 2 is supposed to release today... if it's out already, has anyone played it? And I can't because I have a stinking Mac and not a Windows PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aels