Cutscene issues

RedChaosify

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am a noob at this program, I bought this program super cheap through steam on my mac and I am having issues making a cutscene. The cutscene is setup to be a black screen in the beginning and then my character pops in, walks to the middle of the map, notices an item and that's where I am having my issue.

I am trying to get the character to automatically open the chest and then it cuts to a piece of art (if you have played corpse party you might understand what I am trying to do) where my character reads the paper and it fades out with music playing, which I don't know how to add music to this either or add in the art.

Do I need plugins for this because I am just lost, thanks so much in advance!

skyebot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as for the art I think you just have to use the commands in the event creator to move your player to the chest and then interact with the chest, to have the picture pop up after you interact with the chest use the command that is titled "show picture" and then you can have a picture pop up ( this mod is super useful but not necessary https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/image-picture-positioning-utility.62228/) To get a picture you have, take the files you want and move it into the folder "Pictures" which is located in the "img" folder of the larger "project(whatever number)" folder. If you have trouble finding the folders open your project and at the top bar there is a "game" title and click that and then click "Open folder". For music look to the BGM commands and then you'll have access to insert music and fade it out. If you want to add music it is a similar process to adding pictures you just copy the file you want into the appropriate folder. Sorry if my explanation is a bit all over the place I am quite new to this too, but have done something similar.

RedChaosify

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as for the art I think you just have to use the commands in the event creator to move your player to the chest and then interact with the chest, to have the picture pop up after you interact with the chest use the command that is titled "show picture" and then you can have a picture pop up ( this mod is super useful but not necessary https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/image-picture-positioning-utility.62228/) To get a picture you have, take the files you want and move it into the folder "Pictures" which is located in the "img" folder of the larger "project(whatever number)" folder. If you have trouble finding the folders open your project and at the top bar there is a "game" title and click that and then click "Open folder". For music look to the BGM commands and then you'll have access to insert music and fade it out. If you want to add music it is a similar process to adding pictures you just copy the file you want into the appropriate folder. Sorry if my explanation is a bit all over the place I am quite new to this too, but have done something similar.
Thank you for the quick reply! I will try this! Would the art need to be on the same command as all the other movements or on the different map (I forgot to mention that they're on two different maps, the black screen is on one map with most of the commands and then the other map is full on landscape with the chest, note, etc)? For music I am using an artists song (with his permission of course) so it would just work copying the file from my itunes folder to the music folder in RPG Maker, correct? I have tried getting the character to interact with the chest (it worked at one point) but I have no idea what happened that it won't properly open now.

skyebot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the quick reply! I will try this! Would the art need to be on the same command as all the other movements or on the different map (I forgot to mention that they're on two different maps, the black screen is on one map with most of the commands and then the other map is full on landscape with the chest, note, etc)? For music I am using an artists song (with his permission of course) so it would just work copying the file from my itunes folder to the music folder in RPG Maker, correct? I have tried getting the character to interact with the chest (it worked at one point) but I have no idea what happened that it won't properly open now.
The command for the art would have to be on the map you see (with the landscape) as if it is a screen that has been "faded out" nothing will show other then text (assuming you used the fade out command to make the screen black in the first map). The music should work if you do that as long as the files are compatible and as I am pretty sure Itunes only allows mp3's you should be fine with that ( just avoid flac its a pain in the butt). What's wrong with the chest ? Is it just not opening? and are the commands for the chest in the map with the chest or the black screen map, I would move the commands over to the map with the chest if they are not there already.

RedChaosify

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The commands for the chest are on the map with the landscape, which is where the chest is located. I can send some screenshots to figure out what is going on with it? I don't know if because most of the commands are on the black screen or what?

But I have him finish walking in front of the chest on the first map with the black screen, so all his walking commands are on that.

I don't have any commands setup for him in the landscape type setting yet but I do have a command screenshot for the chest.

Attachments

skyebot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those specific chests require a conditional to open it ( like an item or a level requirement.) So you have to set an item that unlocks it and then make sure whatever you set that item as, it is applicable to your current party. To do this you click on the chest outside of the event creation screen and it should pull up another screen that says "database" at the top. The other chests that are like red and gold, do not have this same requirement. If you already have it set up for the chest to check for whatever item you want to, then you have to click the first button that says "Switch" under the "Conditions" section in the event creation and make sure it is set the the specific chest you want it to be set to, I can add pictures if you need bc I get this is a bit confusing.

RedChaosify

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok the chest worked finally, the red one didn't seem to want to work but I used a different color and it opens when I hit enter. Now I am just going to have to work on the art. How big does the art have to be for it to fit into the program?

RedChaosify

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh nevermind, I just saw at the bottom it says 17x13 :yswt:

But thank you for all the help so far, the art might take me a bit but I will continue to update if I need anymore assistance!

RedChaosify

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok I finally got the art done but now my issue is I want to go back to viewing my character and then fadeout from there? How do I stop the program from showing the picture? Also the size is way off even though I made it to right size that it said to, so now it's saying my picture is too big and I can only scroll to fit some of the art

skyebot

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Under the category where you can use the show picture function, there is also an erase picture that you can put after the picture is shown, you might want to put a timed "wait" between when the picture is shown vs when is is erased, or you can play around with switches and have it so it leaves once that scene is done. Depending on what resolution you make ur game in the pixel size for objects can be super different. Do you have nay of the Yan fly plugins? the one titled YEP_CoreEngine lets you set the screen size you want to either bigger or smaller then the base game so if Ur objects are a bit big it might help to make your game a bit bigger. I've had a lot of trouble finding the correct pixel sizes for things too, even trying to look into it there is always twenty different answers....

RedChaosify

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have everything set up now and it's working properly, I bought all of Yanfly's plugins (the bundle for 30) and none of them will work. As soon as I add one into my project it says it's unable to read the files...so i had to start completely over since it messed up my entire project. So idk what to do about that, so I can't fix the screen size

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
unable to read the files
there are several possibilities with that type of error, but most of them are caused by wrong directory names.

I suggest you make a new topic as this has nothing to do with cutscenes anymore, and tell us the entire directory path to your project in that topic. That path has to follow networking rules to be valid, and if it breaks any of those the result will be "unable to load" because the engine can't handle directory names that do not follow those rules.

Sopo201

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I might be interpreting this wrong, but I’m assuming you made a custom image that you want displayed on screen like a cutscene image, right? If that’s the case, the size of the art needs to be whatever resolution you have your game set to (default for MV is 816x624). Anything bigger than your resolution will get cut off, and anything smaller won't fill up the entire screen.

RedChaosify

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I might be interpreting this wrong, but I’m assuming you made a custom image that you want displayed on screen like a cutscene image, right? If that’s the case, the size of the art needs to be whatever resolution you have your game set to (default for MV is 816x624). Anything bigger than your resolution will get cut off, and anything smaller won't fill up the entire screen.
Yes I made a custom image, my project said it was 17x13, so I just made it to that size in clip studio

RedChaosify

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are several possibilities with that type of error, but most of them are caused by wrong directory names.

I suggest you make a new topic as this has nothing to do with cutscenes anymore, and tell us the entire directory path to your project in that topic. That path has to follow networking rules to be valid, and if it breaks any of those the result will be "unable to load" because the engine can't handle directory names that do not follow those rules.
I have already tried all the other posts talking about that same topic and nothing has fixed that issue, I am trying to fix this issue with itch.io now, as it doesn't seem to matter what yanfly plugin I put in there (it seems to be just their plugins, I've had no other issues with anyone elses)

Sopo201

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, I see. The 17x13 number at the bottom is actually the number of tiles the map is. One tile in MV is 48x48 pixels, so by making your image 17x13 pixels it'll end up being smaller than a tile. Try remaking your image to be 816x624 and see if that helps. :)

RedChaosify

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, I see. The 17x13 number at the bottom is actually the number of tiles the map is. One tile in MV is 48x48 pixels, so by making your image 17x13 pixels it'll end up being smaller than a tile. Try remaking your image to be 816x624 and see if that helps. :)
Oh my god, I feel stupid now! Thank you for clearing that up! I will try and resize it and see if that works!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I just spent the weekend...playing my own game. The one I released last year. Yep you heard that right.
Goal for MZ? None... I'm still curious how to finish my VXA project and how it looks like when it actually finished. Which will take at least another two years. Coming late again to the party.
Finding it amusing that people are posting support questions in new threads for an engine that isn't even released yet. Touch and Archeia are the only ones authorised to say anything, and there's only one active thread where they'll be answering questions.
I think my goal for MZ ... is to actually release a game and not have twenty technical demos and debugging projects. Let's see if I can manage that. ;o
I am starting to enjoy writing. I never thought I would enjoy it since my dyslexia was holding me back so much.
Thanks to the community here :)
For those interested chapter 2 and 3 are available to read here:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthNinjus