DJLucipurr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have a way for my character to be able to chop down trees but after a while I just realised that there is a problem with it. The whole chopping of the bottom makes the top disappear like it should, but then I realised the tops reappear once I leave the map and go back onto it (if it matters all the trees are done individually). If you know how to fix this please tell me I've been trying for a while now.

I'll post screenshots of the events I'm using for it.

Please let me know if you know how to fix this cause it's annoying -.-

top event1.jpg

bottom event2.jpg

bottom event 1.jpg

bottom event 3.jpg

CallMeKerrigan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The reason your event isn't working properly is because you have a self switch that activates before the event finishes processing. 

What you have to do is wait to put the self switch until after everything in the event processes, otherwise it will flick on the switch before it can continue processing, and subsequently turn on event page 2, leaving your event working incorrectly.

You can see this demonstrated here. Pretend EV064 is Tree Bottom 5 and EV003 is Tree Top 5.

treeeeee.PNG

DJLucipurr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The reason your event isn't working properly is because you have a self switch that activates before the event finishes processing. 

What you have to do is wait to put the self switch until after everything in the event processes, otherwise it will flick on the switch before it can continue processing, and subsequently turn on event page 2, leaving your event working incorrectly.

You can see this demonstrated here. Pretend EV064 is Tree Bottom 5 and EV003 is Tree Top 5.

View attachment 53855

I tried that now and all it did was make the top disappear when it said I collected 2 wood and then after the text the bottom changed to the stump. My event 2 is working fine. The problem is that when I leave the map and go back into the map the tree tops appear again.

Eraine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As far as I know, events reset when leaving and entering the map, so the "graphic: none" command dissapears then. I think you need an extra blank page on a switch in the tree-top and the bottom events needs to flip that switch instead of remove the graphic through set move route. Hope this makes sense...

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you have multiple events representing a graphic that should change in one fell swoop, the best way to handle it is not with Self Switches (although you could do this with a Script command), but with a Normal Switch.  Have Switch #91, for example, be "Chopped Tree" and Switch #92 be "Dug Stump".  Create multiple pages for both events depicting their graphics (and, in the case of the lower event, event commands) that should show up when the given switches are set.  The Switches can be used as Page Conditions just like the Self Switches can.

DJLucipurr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As far as I know, events reset when leaving and entering the map, so the "graphic: none" command dissapears then. I think you need an extra blank page on a switch in the tree-top and the bottom events needs to flip that switch instead of remove the graphic through set move route. Hope this makes sense...

That would work but you have to remember that all these trees r done individually so that means I'll have to make switches for 236 trees (so far from what I've made) because they cant all work on 1 switch.

CallMeKerrigan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have that many trees, why not make the tile the size of the event graphic so you can just do it as one event instead of 2 separate events for 2 sections of the tree?

For example page 1, entire tree, page 2, stump, and page 3, no tree? 

Sorry I misunderstood at first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eraine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@DJLucipurr Hmm, you didn't mention that number before! In MV, I have a script to switch the selfswitch from one event from another event. I use that for my "harvestable" resources. Sure there will be something like that in your version too. That way, you won't need that many switches. You'll still need to set it up, but you need to do that anyway...

Actually, KerriganSaila's suggestion will be a lot less work!

Niten Ichi Ryu

Grey Lords Emissary
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
normally I should say you should look into using a gathering plugin, but it would help first to actually understand what you are doing/can do/should do with events.

I know you said in another thread that you watched already tutorials an stuff, but I feel you haven't fully grasped switches and eventing yet, by reading some of your recent posts/questions.

There's a game called "events" by dreadshadow that I strongly advise you to play to get a deeper understanding. Any practical example is way better than a video tutorial.

DJLucipurr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you have that many trees, why not make the tile the size of the event graphic so you can just do it as one event instead of 2 separate events for 2 sections of the tree?

For example page 1, entire tree, page 2, stump, and page 3, no tree? 

Sorry I misunderstood at first.

How do u do that?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think you're making this over complicated.

Your present tree covers 2 tiles.  So on the map, use an event for the bottom half  with the second page image being  the stump.  The top half you apply using another event.  That event also has 2 pages.  The first page has the image of the top part of the tree.  No commands, nothing else at all.  The second page has no graphic, but is activated by self switch A.  For the sake of this example, we will say that this event has the id number 37.  We will also say that this is all happening on map 16.

The player interacts with the lower part of the tree.  On the event there, when the tree is chopped down use the 'script' command from the Event Command Menu and put in this:

$game_self_switches[[16, 37, "A"]] = true

That command is telling the engine that the self switch A of event 37 on map 16 is now activated.  It will therefore show the second page of the event with the upper part of your tree.  That page has no graphic, so it looks like the tree has been chopped down.  You can now enter and leave the map as often as you like and it will not reappear.  Neither is any other tree affected. Your next command is activating the A self switch on the event for the bottom half of the tree so that the stump appears.

EDIT

I would like to second the advice given to you by @Niten Ichi Ryu and work through Dreadshadow's Events Tutorial.  Spending a bit of time on it now will save a lot of time and frustration in the future.

DJLucipurr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think you're making this over complicated.

Your present tree covers 2 tiles.  So on the map, use an event for the bottom half  with the second page image being  the stump.  The top half you apply using another event.  That event also has 2 pages.  The first page has the image of the top part of the tree.  No commands, nothing else at all.  The second page has no graphic, but is activated by self switch A.  For the sake of this example, we will say that this event has the id number 37.  We will also say that this is all happening on map 16.

The player interacts with the lower part of the tree.  On the event there, when the tree is chopped down use the 'script' command from the Event Command Menu and put in this:

$game_self_switches[[16, 37, "A"]] = true

That command is telling the engine that the self switch A of event 37 on map 16 is now activated.  It will therefore show the second page of the event with the upper part of your tree.  That page has no graphic, so it looks like the tree has been chopped down.  You can now enter and leave the map as often as you like and it will not reappear.  Neither is any other tree affected. Your next command is activating the A self switch on the event for the bottom half of the tree so that the stump appears.

EDIT

I would like to second the advice given to you by @Niten Ichi Ryu and work through Dreadshadow's Events Tutorial.  Spending a bit of time on it now will save a lot of time and frustration in the future.

The problem was never the stump. It's the top of the tree. The stump stays the same but the top of the tree appears again.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@DJLucipurr Please do not quote whole posts just to indicate who you are answering.  It makes loading the page and scrolling down it much slower, especially for people accessing this on their phones.  If you want to make it clear who you are replying to, simply use the @membername convention as I have done on this post.

I included both halves of the tree for the sake of completeness.  If all you are concerned about is the top half, then implement everything I suggested from "The top half you apply..." up to "Neither is any other tree affected."  If you do exactly what I have written, the top half does not reappear, ever.

DJLucipurr

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17 thank you so much! I've been struggling with this for days! Sorry about the quote thing I didn't know....and sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much!

And @ksjp17 is there any way to make the event a common event? Cause that would make life easier and it will lower the game size.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

a lot of my maps and battlebacks are me redrawing base rpg maker mv stuff to match with my own artwork... sometimes it comes out ok lol.
Guess I had to do something related to xmas... :kaoswt2:
SWZtrkz.jpg
"16. Do NOT contact other members by private message, on the forum or status feed, inviting them to put additional tools (such as leaderboards, ads, etc - whether yours or another person's) into their game."
Oh no. Necessity is the mother of invention. Do I want to know what happened?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Homaniac