Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Cyclone Map Editor - MZ and MV
by Hudell​
Introduction
This plugin will let you edit your maps while playtesting, it includes even more features than the default MZ editor.

Features
  1. Basic drawing tools: Pencil, Rectangle, Flood Fill and Eraser.
  2. Advanced Shift Mapping
  3. Manual and Automatic Layers
  4. Custom Tile Sizes
  5. Undo and Redo Changes
  6. Collision Editor
  7. Terrain Tag Map
  8. Shadow Layer
  9. Region Icons
  10. Informational Status Bar
  11. Export Map as Image

Short video highlighting the features:

Download and detailed information available on
makerdevs.com

Last edited:

Vanilla Cheesecake

Cheesecake Demon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is very impressive for those who don't want to stick to the 48x48 grid and avoid the whole double tilset kerfuffle!

Would you also allow grid snapping on/off? Or is this sort of out of the scope of the project?

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
New video with some progress:

Would you also allow grid snapping on/off? Or is this sort of out of the scope of the project?
Can't say for sure yet. I think that with the new map rendering in MZ it can be done without adding new sprites for each tile that is out of grid, so maybe yes.

Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Would this by any chance allow for XP-styled autotile support down the line, now that the editor constraints are technically lifted?

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Probably, yes. I don't remember how XP autotiles worked, but with some tweaks I can probably add support to it.

BTW I updated the video in the thread again yesterday

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've updated the thread with a new video and information, as well as a link to the plugin page on makerdevs.

cyelis1224

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Just subbed to you on *******. Amazing work my dude. So, quick question, does this only work in play testing and standalone mode where it's not running in a browser? If I try to host my game and play in a browser I get "nw is not defined". Any idea on a way around this? I use browser export mode to easily play test my game on my phone and have to disable the map edit plugin before I save every time or I can't load up the game.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just subbed to you on *******. Amazing work my dude. So, quick question, does this only work in play testing and standalone mode where it's not running in a browser? If I try to host my game and play in a browser I get "nw is not defined". Any idea on a way around this? I use browser export mode to easily play test my game on my phone and have to disable the map edit plugin before I save every time or I can't load up the game.
Yeah, there would be no way to save the map while playing in a browser :/

I'll change it to not try to load the editor when playing in a browser so at least it doesn't crash on you.

cyelis1224

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
No way to save the map? That's a bummer. So I guess you'll just create a Boolean with Utils.isNwjs() to see if it's a browser or not? Would be awesome if it could save maps. I could remap most of the button on my controller plug-in and make maps on the go. Would it be that hard to get it to export a json file?

Last edited:

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Well I can make it download the generated Json file so that you can copy it to the data folder.

cyelis1224

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Well I can make it download the generated Json file so that you can copy it to the data folder.
I fixed the issue of it trying to load the mapeditor in a browser myself, just added a variable called nwjschk and set it equal to Utils.isNwjs() and the put an if statement over the entire plugin saying if (nwjschk === true){ Youre entire plugin code} and it worked like a charm. XD that would be super awesome even if i had to manually copy the json over after the map editing was done, would still be useful to be able to edit in browser mode. but i noticed a lot of things you are doing require nw so i dont know how much work that would be. dont do anything too special just on my behalf. :p

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've updated the plugin to version 1.01.00, with the following changes:

* Web browser support
* Eraser will now only erase one layer at a time on the auto layer mode (unless you hold shift or shift+control)
* Keep changed data in memory even if you leave the map.

When using the plugin in a browser, use Shift+S to save and Shift+R to reload, so it doesn't conflict with the browser regular shortcuts.

i noticed a lot of things you are doing require nw
nw itself is only used for the menu, which I've disabled in browser mode. Then some node modules were used to save the file, which I changed for a file download in the browser now.

Without the menu, some options are only available through shortcuts:

Save: Shift + S
Reload Map: Shift + R
Toggle Grid: Shift + G
Collision Map: 8
Terrain Tag Map: 9

Edit:
Released another update with some small changes to the shadow list and a separate version of the plugin for MV.

Last edited:

cyelis1224

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Dude you are a beast hahaha. Thank you so much!

Screenshot_20200829-072015.jpg

cyelis1224

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
XD not really, everything works except actually placing the tiles, but I have a BT mouse so it's ok. I could remap the gamepad buttons to right and left click when the editor is open though if I felt like it. I noticed that it slows down pretty drastically after a minute or two. Not sure if it's a mem leak, or if it's trying to update too frequently.

Last edited:

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
XD not really, everything works except actually placing the tiles, but I have a BT mouse so it's ok. I could remap the gamepad buttons to right and left click when the editor is open though if I felt like it. I noticed that it slows down pretty drastically after a minute or two. Not sure if it's a mem leak, or if it's trying to update too frequently.

It's probably the grid. I'll run some tests here.

KuroVuster

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
so far the tool has been pretty bloody good! feels a bit more better when editing in game in test play. gonna try how it manages big maps soon.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey! The map editor looks really useful? I'll try it tomorrow.
Question, does it have key shortcuts for undo and redo?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Was stressing about this plugin earlier, but pretty happy with how its looking now! Purple makes it pop more too!! :)
A friend requested me to do a pfp for his twitch channel, so far he approved one of my sketches, so going to digital now. The style he's looking for is quite different from my usual, hopefully I can get it right... :kaoback:
I am so hyped! A new post update and im anxious to see reactions..eeeeeeee
When a youtuber plays your project or game made by you using MAKERs, you will just be awe struck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deli