kvngreeley

Aren't these two Zombie Kidz cute?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi, everyone. I am looking for any RPG Maker games that are as close to D&D style game play/rules/combat as possible.

Does anyone know of any good games, built with an RPG Maker engine, I could check out, along with a site to obtain said game?

I tried searching for "D&D type RPG Maker games" in a general internet search, but I didn't really find anything relevant.

Thanks!

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I also love D&D and other tabletop RPGs. I never heard of a game as such, since RPG Maker is more focused on making J-RPG style games.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do you just mean like having dice rolls for combat calculations?

kvngreeley

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Do you just mean like having dice rolls for combat calculations?
That or similar mechanics. Like more attributes like STR, INT, WIS, etc. It could be other similarities like different races, classes, multiclasses, spells, and that sort of thing. I prefer more standard D&D numbers too for things like HP, MP, damage, etc.

Just curious if there are any RPG Maker games that are even remotely similar to D&D type games.

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think I've encountered such a game, but depending on how deep you would want to recreate those rules (and depending on the edition that you wanna copy), making one is not impossible. Are you planning to use such a game as a reference?

kvngreeley

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't think I've encountered such a game, but depending on how deep you would want to recreate those rules (and depending on the edition that you wanna copy), making one is not impossible. Are you planning to use such a game as a reference?
It was more of a curiosity since I have not seen very many RPG Maker games that meet my preference in games. I really need to get over my distaste for the overinflated numbers that most RPG Maker games use. If I could get over that mental hurdle, I would probably find more RPG Maker games that I could enjoy.

So, I am always looking for games that I might like to play and I am learning RPG Maker MZ with the express purpose of making a game that I would like. So I figured if others had already delved into that area of game making with the engine, it would be worth taking a look.

I am trying to methodically learn everything that RMMZ is capable of, both with the RTP and with DLCs, plugins, and other assets. I know that I will eventually need to augment my research by actually playing more RPG Maker games, so I would prefer to find ones that are closer to my desired preference.

If that makes sense.

But I have only been working with RMMZ since around Christmas so I am like a babe in the woods.

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your reasoning is understandable, and I get where you're coming from. Making the game you want is a quick path to seeing the project through, and playing games that you'd like is a good way to conceptualize that vision.

But going back to your concern: Such a game should not be impossible. It's just a matter of learning the right resources.

watermark

Playing around with MZ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kvngreeley Well, I wouldn't say it was good... but I made one with partial DnD rules a while back called Shadow Song. You can check it out on RMN:
https://rpgmaker.net/games/8984/

Also, @Frogboy made a set of DnD plugins for MV which you might be able to use in MZ with that converter plugin thingie. They're here:
https://frogboymv.github.io/

So a few interesting things I noticed when adapting DnD:
1. In Shadow Song I used DnD (I think it was 4th ed) vs AC dice roll rules in the JRPG battle system. And I notice that you tend to miss ALOT, which actually isn't that fun. I think DnD rules still work better with a grid based battle system.

2. Skill checks work pretty well I think. But maybe it would be better to make them more obvious. As in even do like a simulated dice graphic on screen. Otherwise you can't really...feel it, if all the calculation is done by the computer behind the scenes.

I remember having other epiphanies but it's been a while so I forgot them. XD So give it a whirl and maybe you'll notice some things. I say Shadow Song isn't a great game, but it's a good experiment of combining DnD and JRPG.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am trying to methodically learn everything that RMMZ is capable of, both with the RTP and with DLCs, plugins, and other assets. I know that I will eventually need to augment my research by actually playing more RPG Maker games, so I would prefer to find ones that are closer to my desired preference.

kvngreeley, this may sound a bit "off-topic", but MZ is very similar do MV. If you are a newcomer to this engine, my project (from my signature) may help you a lot! :wink:

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't seen a lot of examples, but some very basic plugins will allow you to duplicate the vast majority of mechanics for most editions of D&D. Spell slots are the thing that depart most from the engine assumptions, but there are plugins even for that.

kvngreeley

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@kvngreeleyWell, I wouldn't say it was good... but I made one with partial DnD rules a while back called Shadow Song. You can check it out on RMN:
https://rpgmaker.net/games/8984/

Also, @Frogboy made a set of DnD plugins for MV which you might be able to use in MZ with that converter plugin thingie. They're here:
https://frogboymv.github.io/

So a few interesting things I noticed when adapting DnD:
1. In Shadow Song I used DnD (I think it was 4th ed) vs AC dice roll rules in the JRPG battle system. And I notice that you tend to miss ALOT, which actually isn't that fun. I think DnD rules still work better with a grid based battle system.

2. Skill checks work pretty well I think. But maybe it would be better to make them more obvious. As in even do like a simulated dice graphic on screen. Otherwise you can't really...feel it, if all the calculation is done by the computer behind the scenes.

I remember having other epiphanies but it's been a while so I forgot them. XD So give it a whirl and maybe you'll notice some things. I say Shadow Song isn't a great game, but it's a good experiment of combining DnD and JRPG.
Thanks for all of this! I will definitely check out Shadow Song and I plan on exploring plugins more. I need to learn the basic engine capabilities first, then understand MZ plugins, and then see if I can understand the conversion of MV to MZ plugins and assets. Heck, maybe by that time someone will already have converted most of them!:LZSlol:

This is all completely new to me so it can be slow going. GIMP is really giving me a hard time when it comes to doing even simple things like combining asset sheets. And maps...oh, dear, maps. I can churn out pages of writing without thinking about it, but I am not good at visualizing things until I see them. That makes creating the maps a...less enjoyable aspect.

I started D&D with 2e, but I am most familiar and own all the resources for 4e so that is my primary influence, along with "similar" type old CRPGs. And I actually sort of prefer grid-based, turn-based combat because I like seeing things like flanking and range instead of just knowing they are taking place. I saw something about a grid-like system, but I need to look at that more.

I have also thought about different ways of showing all this type of stuff for combat. Like scrolling combat log, or onscreen results over the characters, and onscreen dice rolls as you mentioned. Yet another thing I am watching for to learn how to do!

And yeah, right now I am just recreating tutorials and experimenting in a bunch of separate projects. when I am ready, I am going to start on what I call a "proof of concept" project, trying to put everything together. If that goes well, I hope to start on my first real project.

Unless I get distracted by something shiny! Thanks again!

kvngreeley

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
kvngreeley, this may sound a bit "off-topic", but MZ is very similar do MV. If you are a newcomer to this engine, my project (from my signature) may help you a lot! :wink:
Thanks! I was actually just thinking about that yesterday and wondering how beneficial it might be to go through the tutorials for MV since there is a lot more of them.

I figure I will finish going through all the tutorial type resources I have found for MZ first and then, when I understand the engine better, take a look at some MV resources.

I am definitely bookmarking yours as a place to start! Thanks again!

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And I actually sort of prefer grid-based, turn-based combat because I like seeing things like flanking and range instead of just knowing they are taking place. I saw something about a grid-like system, but I need to look at that more.
If you want to make a grid-based battle system (i.e. a tactical battle system), your choices for MV are LeTBS & SRPG. Unfortunately, there has yet to be an MZ version that I'm aware of.

kvngreeley

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you want to make a grid-based battle system (i.e. a tactical battle system), your choices for MV are LeTBS & SRPG. Unfortunately, there has yet to be an MZ version that I'm aware of.
Thanks for this. For some reason I thought SRPG was an entirely different engine from the RPG Maker series. Probably because I saw references to SRPG without the MV association. I bookmarked both of those to take a closer look!

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
-
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, there's a few D&D style RM games knocking about the place. I remember one called the Red Hand of Doom. It was similar to Baldur's Gate:

Never played it, but I thought it looked good in the screenshots.

Years ago I made a very, very short game using the Storyteller system (VTM, etc).

Last edited:

kvngreeley

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, there's a few D&D style RM games knocking about the place. I remember one called the Red Hand of Doom. it was similar to Baldur's Gate:

Never played it, but I thought it looked good in the screenshots.

Years ago I made a very, very short game using the Storyteller system (VTM, etc).
Wow, thanks for this! I bookmarked the page. I guess I will have to create dropbox account. It looks like you need one to download the demo. But the screenshots that I saw quickly look incredible.

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My game uses rules based on a 5e script, although it's not a complete conversion, since the script was sadly never completed. It has attributes, skills, armor class, attack bonus, d20 roll to hit, DC skill checks and saves, and feats.

I'd say hold off on playing my demo for now until I update it (which will hopefully be soon), because then it will have the new lighting (which should reduce lag), and will have the updated security and conversation DC skill checks.

You can check it out by clicking my signature or going to my itch.io page.

Last edited:

kvngreeley

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My game uses rules based on a 5e script, although it's not a complete conversion, since the script was sadly never completed. It has attributes, skills, armor class, attack bonus, d20 roll to hit, DC skill checks and saves, and feats.

I'd say hold off on playing my demo for now until I update it (which will hopefully be soon), because then it will have the new lighting (which should reduce lag), and will have the updated security and conversation DC skill checks.

You can check it out by clicking my signature or going to my itch.io page.
Awesome, thanks! I just followed you and will bookmark the page to circle back to!

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for this. For some reason I thought SRPG was an entirely different engine from the RPG Maker series. Probably because I saw references to SRPG without the MV association. I bookmarked both of those to take a closer look!
Since you're using MZ, I found this on itch.io (released only a few days ago!). I personally haven't tried it since the plugin costs $35 and I also don't have MZ, lol.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for this. For some reason I thought SRPG was an entirely different engine from the RPG Maker series. Probably because I saw references to SRPG without the MV association.
SRPG is a genre of game, like JRPG - neither inherently has anything to do with an engine. The engine is the basic code that makes a game run, not its mechanics or gameplay (you could use, for example, the Unity engine to create a JRPG, SRPG, FPS, puzzle game, etc.).

Neither has anything inherently to do with RPG Maker, either, so there's no particular reason you'd see anything about RPG Maker if you're just looking up either term.

The two newest versions of RPG Maker give open access to the engine's code that can be altered directly or through plugins, so you could use MV/MZ to make basically any kind of game you want - however, the farther you stray from the intended JRPG mechanics, the more time and effort it will take (to the point that it would make sense to use something else).

That's why, although there are plugins to create SRPGs using RPG Maker, they are very involved and hard to use other plugins with (and, as far as I know, none of them are considered to be feature-complete and bug-free).

There is other game creation software explicitly designed to create SRPGs, as RPG Maker is designed to create JRPGs.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Unfortunately, while trying to run an app I needed (curse you, Adobe!), my laptop blacked out, so my data got wiped when I got it repaired. Stuff like facesets are saved in my drive, but my sprites now only exist as screenshots I've taken in the past :kaocry:To be fair, I'm a little relieved, since I've been feeling unsatisfied with the visual style of the character sprites, and I guess I can now revamp them?

after lot's of edits to Mike's attacks (to make it seamless with movement, no EX versions, cost 1-ups), I finally got combo skills to work. had to do a lot moving tho to get the combo list to appear where it is lol. that actually took longer than setting up the moves.
What's kind of amazing is I've been in a developmental rut for the LONGEST time but putting a music mix on of video game soundtracks and specifically hearing the VX Ace music come up and it's nostalgia of me being excited to make my first game has REALLY got me going again!
Finally finished my tiefling!
F222514F-9F32-4B97-88C3-664E8A2134C3.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnvrl