ZombieKidzRule

Aren't these two Zombie Kidz cute?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Since you're using MZ, I found this on itch.io (released only a few days ago!). I personally haven't tried it since the plugin costs $35 and I also don't have MZ, lol.
Thanks again! I was following Synrec already, but I just had to look up how to find who I started following! :LZSlol: I couldn't find my feed...I am new to itch.io too.

SRPG is a genre of game, like JRPG - neither inherently has anything to do with an engine. The engine is the basic code that makes a game run, not its mechanics or gameplay (you could use, for example, the Unity engine to create a JRPG, SRPG, FPS, puzzle game, etc.).

Neither has anything inherently to do with RPG Maker, either, so there's no particular reason you'd see anything about RPG Maker if you're just looking up either term.

The two newest versions of RPG Maker give open access to the engine's code that can be altered directly or through plugins, so you could use MV/MZ to make basically any kind of game you want - however, the farther you stray from the intended JRPG mechanics, the more time and effort it will take (to the point that it would make sense to use something else).

That's why, although there are plugins to create SRPGs using RPG Maker, they are very involved and hard to use other plugins with (and, as far as I know, none of them are considered to be feature-complete and bug-free).

There is other game creation software explicitly designed to create SRPGs, as RPG Maker is designed to create JRPGs.
Thanks for this explanation. When I started playing, an RPG was an RPG and CRPG was what we used for computer-based RPG! And they were pretty much all fantasy-based. I don't think we payed much attention to mechanics changing the definition of the acronym.

But now, after reading your response, I can see that there are SRPG, TPRG, and of course I had heard of JRPG, but I honestly thought that was an anomaly.

From what I have seen, the concept of exactly what an SRPG is may still be a little squishy and subject to perspective, but I think my game preferences fall more under SRPG than JRPG.

I did notice SRPG Studio on Steam, but I honestly didn't think it looked that much different from RPG Maker MZ. But I will go back and take another look.
Anyway, thanks for expanding my vocabulary!

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I never really understood the difference between SRPG (strategy RPG) vs TRPG (tactical RPG). I've always used them interchangeably with the understanding that the term SRPG is more of a Japanese thing, while the term TRPG is more of a Western thing. Perhaps I've been wrong in that regard, but I always tend to use the term "Tactical RPG" when referring to a grid-based, turn-based, RPG.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
SRPGs usually revolve around recruiting and training a roster of heroes, often on top of some kind of basic sim game. However my understanding is that in Japan it is virtually interchangeable with the concept of a TRPG. And a TRPG is pretty much anything grid-based, or sometimes where pacing on different turns has a major tactical importance.

ZombieKidzRule

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Out of sheer morbid curiosity, if anyone is familiar with the Eye of the Behold games, Wizardry 6-8, King's Bounty, Temple of Elemental Evil (D&D based), Morrowind, and say, Grimrock, what would those games most likely be?

It isn't really important, but I am trying to narrow down how to label my preference within the acronym system currently used. :confused:

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Out of sheer morbid curiosity, if anyone is familiar with the Eye of the Behold games, Wizardry 6-8, King's Bounty, Temple of Elemental Evil (D&D based), Morrowind, and say, Grimrock, what would those games most likely be?

It isn't really important, but I am trying to narrow down how to label my preference within the acronym system currently used. :confused:
I'd say Temple of Elemental Evil, Baldur's Gate,and other stuff like that are isometric crpgs (where it has an overhead view). Morrowind is a first person rpg, and I believe Grimrock is too.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A lot of the old-school D&D-inspired games were built on the Infinity engine. These would be games like Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Planescape: Torment, and other similar games that aren't necessarily built on that engine, such as Neverwinter Nights 1&2 or Baldur's Gate 3. Even games like Kotor 1&2 are based on D&D rules despite having nothing to do w/ D&D (it's a Star Wars game, for those unaware). Obviously, none of those are RPG maker games. But those are the games I'd study if I were trying to adapt D&D rules into video game form.

Solar_Flare

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like more attributes like STR, INT, WIS, etc.
Changing the attributes is easy. RPGMaker has eight attributes, of which only four have any built-in effect – Agility affects turn order, Luck affects damage rolls, and Max HP/MP have the obvious meaning. Attack, Defense, Magic Attack, and Magic Defense literally do nothing – their meaning is whatever you choose to assign to them.

So it's pretty simple to rename the attributes to the standard D&D attributes. There are many ways you could do it, but I would probably recommend renaming Agility to Dexterity and Max HP to Constitution. If you do that, then the four meaningless attributes can become Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. You'd need a separate plugin to rearrange the order attributes are displayed in to match standard D&D though (and most likely hide Luck).

It could be other similarities like different races, classes, multiclasses, spells, and that sort of thing.
I was working on a plugin that implements race. A race in this plugin is just a special class, so in effect all characters have two classes, one of which is their race.

ZombieKidzRule

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks for this! I have to think more about that idea of changing the existing "attribute" names. That is very helpful.

And I just bookmarked your thread with your plugins so I can check them out in more detail.

wilpuri

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Changing the attributes is easy. RPGMaker has eight attributes, of which only four have any built-in effect – Agility affects turn order, Luck affects damage rolls, and Max HP/MP have the obvious meaning. Attack, Defense, Magic Attack, and Magic Defense literally do nothing – their meaning is whatever you choose to assign to them.

So it's pretty simple to rename the attributes to the standard D&D attributes. There are many ways you could do it, but I would probably recommend renaming Agility to Dexterity and Max HP to Constitution. If you do that, then the four meaningless attributes can become Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. You'd need a separate plugin to rearrange the order attributes are displayed in to match standard D&D though (and most likely hide Luck).

I was working on a plugin that implements race. A race in this plugin is just a special class, so in effect all characters have two classes, one of which is their race.
This was very good advice! I have also been thinking what to call the attributes and this gave me ideas!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Making progress. And simplifying.
jV7qfoy.gif
Not sure why I'm a jack of all trades , master of none... Sigh. Album out 06/03/2022 on all ur favorite platforms. 10 tracks.
Hmm... Mushrooms, maybe they're not poisonous...
unknown.png
Hi, I'm a new and upcoming Indie Developer, and I could really use some help when it comes to system programming. Explorers can only go so far before needing a map, you know?
I made a comic strip with the characters of my game.Flor en la cola eng.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijiko