Dacian (Alpha demo update 2 available.)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by literarygoth, Jan 22, 2013.

1. literarygoth

literarygoth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I uploaded a patched demo late last night/early this morning. But that version is the one that kanax and kyuu played, the same one as you. The patched demo I uploaded addressed the issues kyuu and kanax mentioned.

:/

Hopefully one of my play testers will experience the same thing. If I can replicate it, I can fix it.

Cheers,

~Lit

2. literarygoth

First Language:
    English
    ~UPDATE~

Uploaded patch tonight.

Fixes:

~ Table of elements properly displaying and closing by using the interaction button, no more messy display.

~ Adjustments to sound effects, lowered the volume of most combat skills' sound effects.

~ Created 2 new items, this means old saves won't work :( sorry. Increased healing on Apples for the dream areas.

~ Few other minor adjustments that may or may not be noticeable to the player.

Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback! You've helped me polish this version quite nicely. :)

I'm just awaiting news from my artist, and with my spring break from classes just around the corner, I hope to get much more done. As always, thank you for your patience. Development can be slow given my hectic and busy schedule.

Cheers,

~Lit :rock-right:

Mimironi, Matseb2611 and KanaX like this.
  3. literarygoth

First Language:
    English
    ~UPDATE~

I've managed to crunch out some of the more persistent issues that were dogging Dacian. Specifically, the Table of Elements displaying properly. It's finally fixed and working properly, with no issues closing down. It's a lot less clunky than it used to be. ^-^

Table of Elements:

[​IMG]
    The visuals of the battle screens have gotten a major overhaul. I was never fond of the blurry zoomed in background I had in place. So i changed it. I'm much happier with the backgrounds now. They're intended to be a mock mode 7 style, mostly for eye candy while beating your enemies senseless.

Battle backgrounds:

[​IMG]
    i love adding little details to games, and I may have gone overboard a bit XD but there's lots of extras, including some collectibles. As mentioned in the main post, when you find a Hidden Event, you're rewarded with a scene that gives additional lore, and a Moogle Plushie. For every 5 plushie's you collect, a visual plushie will appear in Dacian's bedroom. You can track how many you've found at the back of his journal, that sits on his nightstand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As you can see, there's Hidden Events, Hidden or Secret Items, as well as some lost music to find. There's also collectible artwork scattered around the world, that's why there's a blank in this Achievements list, I just haven't added that to this scene.

I won't be updating the demo now until the full demo is ready. Thanks for following, those of you that have played I hope you enjoyed! Please feel free to leave comments, critiques, suggestions or things you'd like to see in future updates.

Cheers,

~Lit

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
    Mimironi and KanaX like this.
  4. literarygoth

First Language:
    English
    I really dislike these long absences. My apologies, again, for dropping off. 

Its been a really rough rough year for myself and those working with me on this game. We've all needed time to take care of personal matters. 

However, it looks like things are beginning to turn around for us. Looking forward to finishing the full demo to release to the forums!

My apologies for the delays, this is a labor of love and just for fun and practice. Thank you to all of those that have quietly watched and supported Dacian and our development despite our slow patches. 

Hope to have more updates in the next few weeks!

Cheers,

~Lit 

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2016
    Kyuukon, Mimironi and KanaX like this.
  5. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welcome back :o!

Btw, what do you think of RMMV? Most people are porting their projects to the new engine (me included) :p

literarygoth likes this.
  6. literarygoth

First Language:
    English
    I honestly haven't tried it! I only have VX and VX Ace. I have considered porting Dacian before, but there's a lot of work already done, and the custom scripts took a long time to get locked down, I'd hate to try porting and then find out that I'd have to either abandon something or find a work around for it.
    But I do have a list of other games I want to mess around with (all far simpler than Dacian), so looking forward to trying this new RM :D

Cheers,

~Lit :rock-right:

Kyuukon likes this.
  7. Myshu

Myshu Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Heya, I wanted to give this a shot! Thoughts:

Graphics: Very good. The sprites wobbling back and forth seems weird, but otherwise they're very well made, and the maps are nice and cozy. The use of light and color conveys some excellent mood, as well as the music, which is-

Music: Great. The custom tracks are fitting. The battle theme has just the right beat and the dream maps have a good, eerie melody.

UI: Cool. Not hard to get the hang of, and the battle layout is something I like. The crystal upgrades to your stats are interesting.

Difficulty: Steep. Every battle feels harrowing, and not in a good way to ease the player into the experience. Even the TUTORIAL BATTLE was a close call, and that's pretty ridiculous. Whether or not you have enough healing items to get through the initial areas feels like a game of chance, since you can't farm or buy them.

But here's what really stopped me:

[​IMG]

WAITING. FOR. THOSE. LILYPADS. TO. MOVE. WAS. EXCRUCIATING. Could they possibly go a bit faster than 0.2 mph?

That slime was waiting for me to cross, of course, and once the battle ended I was kicked back onto the lilys. I had to wait for the pad to come back... again... but wait! The slime is back. And waiting for me. And sometimes it acted like it was gonna buzz off, but always came right back just in time for me to cross.

But! I slipped by it, just once. I beat the flower, pressed the switch and came back... to where the slime respawned. And died in the fight because I ran out of apples.

Too hard, man. Too hard.

8. Zak

Zak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German

Try to port it when you finish the project. There's no need to rush now to MV. It even looks like that MV took two jumps backward for now.

9. Bakuda

Bakuda The Music Man Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This looks like a wonderful game, and I'm glad you came back to it!  I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the full demo release.

10. literarygoth

First Language:
    English
    Holy Lord it's been ages again. My thanks to everyone for your support, you've kept me in the game, so to speak.

After much deliberation with my team, and a re-branding, we've decided to switch engines to Ace, and go completely commercial with this game. Our indiegogo fundraiser will go live with a prototype of the game (a mini demo, if you will) as well this Friday, September 1st. For those of you still interested in seeing this game come to fruition, please give us a share, or if you're able to, support us to reach our goal!

Regardless, we will be finishing this game. We now have a new artist who is dedicated to this, and I can step back into a pure dev role of lead writer, lead designer, lead programmer. We've made leaps and bounds in just the last month. We're very excited to bring this to you on VX Ace engine.

Please see the new game thread:
    https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/cotd-dacian.83320/#post-769775

As always, a big thanks for your support! Your feedback is always appreciated, and we've listened to all your recommendations along the way.
    Cheers
    ~Lit

Mimironi likes this.