Daena Grey

Fully Insane.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was wondering, what everyone's opinion on "Daily Events" in RPG Maker Games are. Daily Events, how shall I describe them?

I personally--*Coughcough* am curious about the potential these kind of "Sidequests" if we may call them so, might hold. Would you feel thrilled? Excited? Just want the drops? Gotta collect 'em drops? All 'em drops? ALL THE DROPS?????

Additionally, what kind of Daily Event would you feel really excited to go on?

Beginning with myself, first, I would say Boss Hunt. Beating the living crap out of some hardcore Boss for exquisite loot.

Dirge

Sound Engineer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like the idea. I'm implementing something similar in my game, a job board with contracts that change every X-Y times you sleep.

The trick is to keep them interesting, not just necessarily "go kill this boss" though those do have their place. Spicy and flavourful, so the player gets something more than a "spend some time to go get some loot" experience from it. Everything in your game should have a reason for being there beyond "I can put this here", in terms of story or lore, imo.

I'd be interested in something that has a chance to give me something rare and cool, item-wise, but also has an interesting premise behind it. That said, going ahead and beating the snot out of a tough boss for shinies is also fun...

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like the idea of 'daily events' kinds of systems in games. ^u^
For me personally, they are most fun to look forward to when they are implemented according to the game's theme.
Like if your game centers around crafting, then having a daily event that spawns a monster that only drops a rare craftable material is very neat.
Or if your game centers around dungeon exploring, you have hard dungeon that only appears after every X times you sleep at the inn.

starlight dream

Loving life...One dream at a time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not very good with terms, I can't remember things like that. :headshake:

What do you mean by Daily Events? I know I've heard it before but I can't remember what it is?

yajirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
make one of the quests be that you have to not launch the game for 48 hours,

Titris Thrawns

It's a trap! ...Or is it?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
make one of the quests be that you have to not launch the game for 48 hours,
Is that like an Ant-anti-idle kind of quest? :guffaw:

Depending on the length of the day, dailies could be a fun procedural resource pinata or rob time from moving the story along. Rune Factory 4 had daily requests that worked like that. Might & Magic had a bounty system (Kill X creature within the week/month and come back for gold reward). So if you want to break the 'daily' mold, you could do a weekly big boss hunt? I guess it really depends on how you want to create time in your game world!

Honestly, daily tasks never strike me as 'fun'. As soon as something becomes a 'daily' it becomes more about the reward and how tedious the hurdle/grinding is to get to said reward. That's just my 2 opinions.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I want to start by saying that these kinds of systems do not belong in a single-player game unless the game already has tons of other mechanics based around real time. In general, single-player games don't use the concept of real-time (since players will be playing the game in different time patterns - some as a weekend binge, some spread out over months), so trying to shoehorn in a quest that you can only do "every 24 hours" is not going to work well.

((Life simulation games like Harvest Moon usually have some sort of semi-real-time mechanic that works around 'game time', and for these sorts of games, Dailies that also work around game time are perfectly fine - but don't base them off of real-world time!))

That being said, the concept tends to work well for MMOs as a way to encourage players to log in every day in fear that they will "miss" the daily quest and fall behind where they could be. Personally, I hate this, and I don't really understand why an MMO would want its players to log in compulsively to grind quests. On a less cynical note, these dailies also offer something to do for players who have already "seen and done it all", without having to introduce tons of new content every month.

I think my favorite type of "daily" in an MMO would be a challenging party/raid quest that you can only attempt every 24 hours, whether you succeed or not - and preferably one where you are scored or graded, so that even once you're good enough to succeed most of the time, you have something higher to aim for every single day. It would give me a way to frame each of my days in the game as a challenge with a meaningful result - today was kind of disappointing, or today was the best I'd ever done!

esterk

Lovable Rogue
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is an interesting idea in a single player game. I assume it's not so much a literal daily quest as much as it is a random sidequest the will become available after you rest in-game or have a day pass by if you are using a day/night system.

It's a nice idea that gives players something to do other than the main quest, and gives them a way to test out some new skills/party members/etc. I usually use them for that sort of stuff, to try out new tacts, abilities, equipment, before I tackle the next missions of the game. I always appreciate these kinds of things as long as they are quick and simple to accomplish, though they shouldn't be totally mindless. Add some flair to them to make sure they have some interesting storylines on their own.

starlight dream

Loving life...One dream at a time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I remember FFTactics (single player) had something similar, where jobs showed up in different towns, every once in a while. The game had a clock running, which counted days, months, etc.

Completing these would get you extra rewards, but you could also meet a new character, or even discover sub-plots of the game while on these extra mini-quest... It was pretty fun for the times I didn't feel like progressing the main plot. And it allowed me to build experience by choosing which missions to take.

If I have the patience, I'll implement it in a game. Someday. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

V1.3 of Demo, a new concept artist on the team, character voices are coming into light more... I'm happy to say that the fangame is making good progress.
Ami
--- Stolen Item ---

M.Figher: I want to sell this Stone
Fence: Then...i can buy you 1500G
M.Figher: It's Deal!
(3 Days Later)
F.Fighter: M.Figher,Do you know about Stone that Mayor keep it in his Office? It's missing
M.Figher: Ahh,is that so... (Actually,i Stole it and Sell it to the Fence a few Days ago)
I've spent some cash on foley and other sound effects. I wonder sometimes if I made a poor choice, but I remember that I really want to improve the sound of my games. n...n; My frugalness haunts me sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mymay0510