Damage decrease per living enemy

Thornton

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi all, I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

1) I'm trying to make a damage ability that has its damage decreased by 10% for every alive enemy.

I saw this code that can probably help achieve the effect:
$gameTroop.aliveMembers().length

But I'm not sure how to use this in the damage formula to achieve what I'm looking for (if it's even the correct code to use).

2) How could I achieve the same effect as above, but for allies?

Thanks.

Palin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The code you listed will return the number of alive enemies. You can use it directly in a damage formula. For instance, if all you had in the damage formula was: $gameTroop.aliveMembers().length - then you'd be doing damage equal to the number of enemies (before defense, etc..)

For actors you'd use $gameParty.aliveMembers().length

Thornton

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The code you listed will return the number of alive enemies. You can use it directly in a damage formula. For instance, if all you had in the damage formula was: $gameTroop.aliveMembers().length - then you'd be doing damage equal to the number of enemies (before defense, etc..)

For actors you'd use $gameParty.aliveMembers().length
Thanks for confirming and providing the allied version. Glad to hear there's no magic math behind the scenes.

For anyone interested, I managed to figure out how to achieve the effect I wanted in the original post:
(<damage formula>) - (((<damage formula>) * ($gameTroop.aliveMembers().length - 1)) * 0.1)
The "0.1" (10%) represents the penalty. At 8 enemies, there is a 70% reduction to the ability's effectiveness (if it's an AoE, the total net damage would still be higher than hitting a single enemy, however).
If you want the first enemy to be taken into account also for the penalty (for whatever reason), you would simply use:
(<damage formula>) - (((<damage formula>) * ($gameTroop.aliveMembers().length)) * 0.1)
*If you calculate your defense formulas inside the skill formula box, you may need to put it at the end of the above formulas.

And lastly, if you want to use this for healing effects, it would be this:
(<healing formula>) + (((<healing formula>) * ($gameParty.aliveMembers().length - 1)) * 0.1)
This would increase the healing by 10% per alive ally that is (technically) not the user.

Hopefully the formulas gives someone an idea or two on some new abilities.
Anywho, this is solved!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Husband has roped me into playing one of his PSO2 characters. Productivity is now negative.
Tileset A is lava! Don't burn D:
as MZ come out what you guys think about.....Some particles engine :3c?
Who wants to sing this song with me?~

Decided to submit my games to the Monday Night Stream. Figured it might be a fun way to get some traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavaWave