Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi All,

I've looked over several of the threads already that deal with Damage Formulas and Skill Creation but, I'm not finding a clear enough answer for what I'd like, so I'm hoping I might find some help here.

To start, my game is going to use the basic 8 stats that come default with RMMV; HP, MP, ATK, DEF, M.ATK, M.DEF, AGI and LUK
The difference is that my stats are quite a bit lower. My game's lowest and maximum possible stats are as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MIN LV = 1, MIN HP = 120, MIN MP = 60
Every other stat (ATK, DEF, M.ATK, M.DEF, AGI and LUK) are MIN at 24
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAX LV = 50, MAX HP = 600, MAX MP = 300
Every other stat (ATK, DEF, M.ATK, M.DEF, AGI and LUK) are MAXED at 120

I also was hoping to allow the players the chose to increase the stats a bit more, according to their liking each time they level up. So, each level, all stats would increase by their default amount.. but the player could then chose one to increase a bit more.

What would be a good Damage Formula to use for these stats? And would I use the same formula for everything or just physical attacks and use a different one for skills?

Also, I'm trying to make my own skills for the first time and running into some problems.

I'd like to have each character be able to learn up to 16 skills and would like each skill to be worth it to keep and use... though

What I have so far are:

"Burning Blade": A physical hitting fire element attack that has a chance of burning the enemy.

I have no idea what to include as the skill's power in relation to the stats I have.

I hope this is enough info and not to confusing.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Just so I can get started and figure out what and how to do what I need to do to continue on my own after.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Eilwyn, I am not an expert at this too, but I can help you as much I could. This direction allows you to increase stats: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/letting-the-player-choose-their-stats.77298/

What would be a good Damage Formula to use for these stats? And would I use the same formula for everything or just physical attacks and use a different one for skills?
Anything you want to create and test so you can see the result.

"Burning Blade": A physical hitting fire element attack that has a chance of burning the enemy.
First, put damage formula
second, make burn state and Add State, then pick the chance.

Silva

Scoobityboo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally start by using:

a.atk ** 2 / b.def

For your system this means an attacker with max ATK will deal 600 damage to a defender with min DEF. An attacker with min ATK will still deal 4 damage to a defender with max DEF. How you want damage to work is personal preference though so I could give you 100 different formulas and you could not like any of them.

Again a skills power will depend on the type of skill and personal preference. If you wanted a skill to deal an additional 20% damage you would just take the standard damage formula, place it within brackets and multiply by 1.2, ie:

(a.atk ** 2/b.def) * 1.2

Ultimately though this is just something you should be experimenting with. If you need ideas it might be worth giving this thread a peruse:

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/rmmv-damage-formula-ideas-and-help.47099/

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The question of "which damage formula?" isn't really much different if you have low stats. You can always adjust the damage formula by multiplying or dividing the whole thing by 2, or even 5 or 10, if the numbers it's coming up with are too high or too low.

The most important consideration is how many rounds it takes for the player to defeat the enemy and vice versa; another consideration is the psychological effect of the numbers coming up (especially as the player may not know the enemy's maxHP). I'll use examples from my own game to illustrate.

My damage formula is (2 x ATK x ATK) / (ATK + DEF). The character you start with, Erika, at Level 1, has 32 HP, 14 ATK and 10 DEF (even lower stats than yours!) The first enemy fought in the game, the Dungeon Roach, has 40 HP, 10 ATK and 2 DEF. Thus:

Erika attacks Roach: (2 x 14 x 14) / (14 + 2) = 392 / 16 = 24. Even with 20% variance, she is absolutely guaranteed to kill the Roach in two hits.

Roach attacks Erika: (2 x 10 x 10) / (10 + 10) = 200 / 20 = 10. The Roach will only get one hit during the battle, and it will take off around 1/3 of Erika's health, so the player will certainly win without feeling they were in danger. Also, next time the player sees a troop including a Roach, they know just how much leeway they have, in terms of how low they can let their health get before they need to heal. Finally, there is the satisfying feeling that as a raw number, the player did well over twice as much damage as the enemy.

I got this formula from a post in this thread, which also contains a lot of discussion on the pros and cons of various formulae.

Broozer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you need ideas for skills, or rather unique ones.

Yanfly has a playlist on Youtube with around 180 videos, where he creates unique items/skills/states.
You could watch a few from those, recreate them in your game, or use them as a baseline to create other things.
You will need some of his plugins to do this though.

As for damage, the best way to figure it out, is to playtest.

Eilwyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the delayed reply everyone, I got caught up in household chores then got far to into looking into everyone's ideas and working on my game and all that.

Everyone has been a big help.

Thank you!

chengsta

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
(a.atk + b.def) * 5 I was using that as a formula for a skill that became stronger the more defense the enemy has. However, all I get are 0's. what am I doing wrong? Why doesn't the formula bar use basic math functions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Considering a side project of making a Choose Your Own Adventure in MV but letting people play it as YouTube videos with the choices at the end leading to other videos. Thoughts?
I've made a rudimentary prototype map for the first game with the MV RTP overworld tiling. I'm probably going to photoshop the crap out of it for parallax, but the prototype has given me new ideas about how I want to place dungeons in the game.
I got tired of not having an avatar image. Couldn't think of anything cool. So I'm just using my game's antagonist instead... How original. At least both of our names start with C?
Expectation: Design/dev a game for the game jam | Reality: "These codes suck, why did I do it this way? lemme fix this. Also what if I add feature xyz because... well, I can."
Did my first script call in an event! :kaopride: It's completely useless and just because I thought it'd be cute if looking at clocks in-game made the character say the real-world time, but it's fully functional scripting and I did it all by myself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tocilux