Lord Vectra

Master Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So I'm using Rpg Maker XP, and I've been playing with the damage formula, and I have a few ideas and want to know what you guys think. This is mostly me trying to figure out what to do about physical defense. This is a game where you put points into the stats you want per level. I know it depends on game type but I'm asking for, in most scenarios, which of these would you think you would favor most? If you have any additional ideas to add to what I have, Im open to hear them.

1) Direct damage reduction: Basically defense is subtracted from the damage and there is your final damage which is the default formula of ((power + atk )* rate) - pdef
Note: "rate" takes in your other stats depending on what % of that stat is taken which you specify via database.

2) Damage Resistance: Turns PDEF into a % of physical damage is reduced. So same as above except instead of subtracting it as an integer, it is multiplied as a %.
(power + atk) * rate * pdef

3) Ratio-Based
(User.atk + rate) / p,def * power
This one takes the ratio of your atk and stats vs the target's defense.

4) Ratio-based+
(rate / user.atk) * (user.atk + power) / pdef
Similar to above but this makes it so your stat has to match the weapon or you'll be punished (so you can't run a 1000 atk dagger with 20 STR). Tho a debuff in, for example, STR in a str-based skill would increase the damage so idk anymore. Open to ideas about how to fix that issue.

5) Temporary HP
If your pdef is 70, for example, you have 70 temporary HP at the beginning of battle (AKA HP shield or whatever you want to call it). Once it depletes, it's gone until the end of battle.

6) Armor Health
As armor health depletes, so does the amount of damage it reduces. This one isn't exactly a stand-alone idea as it can be mixed with the others, but thought I'd put it out there.

JMsoup

New guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
((atk - pdef)/100 + 1) * power

difference between user's attack and target's defence becomes a percentage multiplier to the power of the attack

probably better with lower values as it gets quite hard to balance if the range of atk/def in enemies gets too high

Lord Vectra

Master Eventer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I would need something for rate if, for example, a skill scales a bit on your STR or DEX instead of purely ATK. I like the idea so far though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kitchen counters! I am on my second version of counters. It is slow going and I always see little details that could be done better. Have to force myself to say that's good enough for now and continue on.
I always thought I was just really, really bad at communication, then the internet proceeds to say "lol no".
Almost 100,000 Threads! We should make a celebration. Make a 100K logo? :p
Cursed problem: Multiple language switches. Say, you want to switch to EN language from JP but you have no idea where the language switch in JP menu language.
Tonight I'm finally going to start putting the dungeons my team has made on grid paper into the engine. That's the final step of making the game world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shbist75